Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Semi-gloat, shaves and scrapers

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:49:50 -0600, sam wrote:

In article , NOSPAMrp77469
says...

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:41:42 -0600, sam wrote:

Two Stanley 151 spokeshaves, one Sweetheart, the other new
One No 60 spokeshave, Sweetheart
One No. 80 card scraper, no blade, dated 6-2-14
One No. 82 scraper, no blade
One No 66, Feb 9.86, no blade or fence

All for 25 bucks. Someone found a box in his attic.

Good buy. With all the bucks you saved, you can buy some Hock replacement blades. One of the guys
in our hand tool group bought a set of new-made cutters for the 66 from either LV or LN a couple
months ago.

I have thought about buying Hock blades, especially for my
finish plane, but I'm also kind of vain about my ability to
sharpen anything with a wet stone and a leather strop with
a little compound. I add a little wax to the sole of my plane
and I'm good to go with the Stanley blades.

I've got a small Hock that came with a chisel plane kit one of the guys in the hand tool group gave
me. Tiny as it is, it is an impressive piece of steel. I scarey sharpened it to 1500 grit.

A couple guys in our group have noted improvements when switching to Hock blades from the standard
Stanley's. I never thought to ask if they got $30-50 worth of improvement from the upgrade. If it
solved a chatter issue, I'm sure they sure did.

My #80 (scraper, Jeff) came with a piece of saw blade for the scraper, and I think it is a little
too soft. I recently bought a #12, (a bigger scraper, Jeff) with no blade, so decided to order a
Hock from these folks before the sale ends this month. I've never dealt with them before, so we
will see how it goes.

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/hand_tools.htm

Regards,
Roy