Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blanket Chest Hinge

Am building a blanket chest 46" by 28". Want the top to be 48" by 30"
therefore giving me a 1" overhang on all four sides. The customer
insists the overhang be on all four sides. Cannot think of what kind
of hinge to use. She also would like the hinge to not be visible when
top is closed. Is this possible? If so, any recommendations for a
hinge that would let the top open to about 100 degrees. Thanks.

Vic.H
Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

In ,
dropped this bit of wisdom:
Am building a blanket chest 46" by 28". Want the top to be 48" by 30"
therefore giving me a 1" overhang on all four sides. The customer
insists the overhang be on all four sides. Cannot think of what kind
of hinge to use. She also would like the hinge to not be visible when
top is closed. Is this possible? If so, any recommendations for a
hinge that would let the top open to about 100 degrees. Thanks.

Vic.H

Concealed Lid Hinges
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...47&cat=3,41241

Often used for bench lids, hampers and chest lids, these surface-mount hinges don't require boring holes or extra mounting plates. They open and hold at 90°, and are 2-3/4" high by 3-1/8" long in the closed position. For use with lids up to 1" thick.

Nickel-plated steel. Sold in pairs. Requires #6 screws (not included).

------

or Soss® Invisible Hinges

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...29&cat=3,41241

Too many variables for easy amplification

-------------

Here is a pointer to the "hinge" index

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...&cat=3&p=41241

HTH

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/22/2010 12:14 PM, PDQ wrote:
The customer insists the overhang be on all four sides. She also
would like the hinge to not be visible when top is closed. Is this
possible?

Concealed Lid Hinges
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...47&cat=3,41241

Those won't work with an overhang at the back.

To the OP, you've got a couple obvious options:

1) Mortise standard hinges in to the top of the back wall and the
underside of the lid. If you push the hinges back a bit so the pivot
point is outside the box, you'll be able to open past 90 degrees. This
might benefit from building up the wall thickness a bit on the inside of
the box for strength.

2) Same as above, but with no-mortise hinges. With an overhang at the
back these should give close to your requested 100 degrees.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...33&cat=3,41241

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

In el,
Chris Friesen dropped this bit of wisdom:
On 01/22/2010 12:14 PM, PDQ wrote:
The customer insists the overhang be on all four sides. She also
would like the hinge to not be visible when top is closed. Is this
possible?

Concealed Lid Hinges

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...47&cat=3,41241

Those won't work with an overhang at the back.

SNIP

2) Same as above, but with no-mortise hinges. With an overhang at the
back these should give close to your requested 100 degrees.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...33&cat=3,41241

Chris

Agreed about the inner-hung hinge - it was merely a suggestion as to the kind of hinge to persue. Might even be able to accomplish this with an European hinge.

As to your suggestion, the barrel (?) would show and the lady "would like the hinge to not be visible when top is closed". Of course, though, maybe the 1" overhang would be sufficient to "hide" the hinge.

I know there is a variety of barrel hinge that must be mortised into the wall of the chest. It would not be visible but I do not know if the 1" overhang could be accommodated. Couldn't find a sample either.

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

In ,
PDQ dropped this bit of wisdom:
[...]

Here I am answering myself.

Chris, your rebuttal sent me back to some filed magazines.

The Nov 2009 issue of Wood (Issue 194) contains a write-up on a blanket chest which has a 7/8 inch overhang. Torsion hinges by Rockler - "Lid-Stay Torsion Hinge Lid Support " would appear to be the answer. They are expensive but they do hold a lid in any position fron closed to full open.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21288

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking

If so, any recommendations for a hinge that would let the top open to
about 100 degrees. Thanks.

Vic.H

Vic.H

Just use the best grade of "piano hinge" you can find. There certainly
is a generous selection available from McMaster-Carr. Attach the hinge
to the bottom of the top and the back/outside of the rearwall. Use a
beveled spacer between the rear wall and the hinge to allow the 100
degree opening. Emperically determine the necessary screw length. You
might also consider having the pivot offset sufficiently to allow the
100 degree opening specification. A good metal man can easily do this.
Where I live this would be routine at the blacksmith I frequent. Put
all the screws in.

Also consider using those internal folding arms/braces or whatever
they are called.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 12:46*pm, wrote:
Am building a blanket chest 46" by 28". *Want the top to be 48" by 30"
therefore giving me a 1" overhang on all four sides If so, any recommendations for a
hinge that would let the top open to about 100 degrees. Thanks.

Vic.H

The Rockler hinges seem designed for your project:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21288

I was thinking of something like 170° Modul Hinges
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41241,55420
(A.170° Overlay) but had no idea they would be so pricey! The Rockler
looks like the best choice - elegant!

On the ROCKLER page, they show a piano hinge approach using a "toy
box" lid support set. But that is likely to be even more expensive as
no where as neat.

The Fold Back Hinges at http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...31&cat=3,41241
look like they could be "adjusted" with a sledge hammer to accomplish
the job in the manner of the Nathans Forge hinge at
http://www.nathansforge.com/Hinges_f...apeimage_9.png by moving
the pivot point outside of the carcass. Less $$, but no tension/
torsion.

Be sure to post your solution - picture maybe - let us know how you
solved the problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 12:46*pm, wrote:

"not be visible when top is closed."

I can't see how this can be done w/o moving the pivot outside the
carcass (where it can be seen - of one get down on the floor, and
looks up at the back of the chest when the lid is closed.

You might want to clarify this with the customer - From which
perspectives do you expect the hinge to be "hidden?"

When the chest is closed, with a 1" over hang all around and the chest
on the floor, I can't see anything at the juncture of the top edges of
the carcass and lid. Is the customer unusually short? (;

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 23, 6:05*am, Hoosierpopi wrote:

The Rockler hinges seem designed for your project:http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21288

Then, I looked at the pictures and could not see any images showing
the lid open to 90 degrees, much less 100 - 110 and downloaded the
installation sheet which calls for an 11/16 inch overlay (using their
Jig It).

http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000560AA.pdf

I would suggest calling them to see if it will open to 100 degrees and
if there is any reason why a 1-inch overlay would NOT work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:46:27 -0500, wrote:

Am building a blanket chest 46" by 28". Want the top to be 48" by 30"
therefore giving me a 1" overhang on all four sides. The customer
insists the overhang be on all four sides. Cannot think of what kind
of hinge to use. She also would like the hinge to not be visible when
top is closed. Is this possible? If so, any recommendations for a
hinge that would let the top open to about 100 degrees. Thanks.

Vic.H

Thanks for all the suggestions on what hinge to use. Managed to drive
to a Lee Valley store and had a look at their display of hinges.
Decide to use the following
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...80&cat=3,41241
This hinge while pivoting also lifts up 1 5/8". With this lift I can
have a 7/8" overhang of the lid and when it is open there is a 1/8"
space between the top and side. It also has an adjusting screw which
if replaced with a longer one lets you adjust the hinge to open to 92
degrees instead of the full 175 degrees. Once again thanks, it nice to
know there are other options as well. And yes, I will be using soft
close lid stays.

Vic H.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

It is an 'unconventional' use for them, but a "SOSS invisible' hinge" _would_
give you a 90 {plus a little bit} degree opening of an overhanging lid.
You'd need to add soft-close stays, and, probably, chains, or similar restraints
against he lid opening too far.

Oh yeah, they *are* _totally_ invisible when the lid is closed. No evidence
of them either on the outside, _or_ the inside. grin

Another Blanket Chest Man at Keyboard Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 March 24th 08 02:55 AM
blanket chest (0/1) [email protected] Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 March 23rd 08 09:54 PM
BLANKET BOX/CHEST - PDF J T Woodworking 0 March 5th 07 04:12 PM
BLANKET CHEST - PDF J T Woodworking 0 December 31st 05 01:38 AM
BLANKET CHEST J T Woodworking 1 January 21st 05 10:42 PM