Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi Robert Bonomi is offline

Default Blanket Chest Hinge

In article ,
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:46:27 -0500, wrote:

Am building a blanket chest 46" by 28". Want the top to be 48" by 30"
therefore giving me a 1" overhang on all four sides. The customer
insists the overhang be on all four sides. Cannot think of what kind
of hinge to use. She also would like the hinge to not be visible when
top is closed. Is this possible? If so, any recommendations for a
hinge that would let the top open to about 100 degrees. Thanks.

Vic.H

Thanks for all the suggestions on what hinge to use. Managed to drive
to a Lee Valley store and had a look at their display of hinges.
Decide to use the following
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...80&cat=3,41241
This hinge while pivoting also lifts up 1 5/8". With this lift I can
have a 7/8" overhang of the lid and when it is open there is a 1/8"
space between the top and side. It also has an adjusting screw which
if replaced with a longer one lets you adjust the hinge to open to 92
degrees instead of the full 175 degrees. Once again thanks, it nice to
know there are other options as well. And yes, I will be using soft
close lid stays.

Vic H.

It is an 'unconventional' use for them, but a "SOSS invisible' hinge" _would_
give you a 90 {plus a little bit} degree opening of an overhanging lid.
You'd need to add soft-close stays, and, probably, chains, or similar restraints
against he lid opening too far.

Oh yeah, they *are* _totally_ invisible when the lid is closed. No evidence
of them either on the outside, _or_ the inside. grin