Puff Griffis

Default Scroll saw curves to the left.

I can think of only 2 things, Blade tension too lose or feed rate too =
high. Remember that a scroll saw has VERY little movement of the blade =
its not designed to be a band saw and you have to feed it like a child =
slow and regular or else you have problems.
Puff

"Toller" wrote in message =
I've never used a scroll saw before, but I picked one up last month =

for $18;
an old Ryobi SC-160.
=20
Today I used it for cutting a template out of MDF to mortise a hinge.
It cuts straight for a bit, then badly to the left. Any suggestions =

for how
to get it to cut straighter? I am hoping there is something to =

adjust,
rather than that is why it was so cheap!
=20
=20

Larry Laminger

Toller wrote:
I've never used a scroll saw before, but I picked one up last month for $18;
an old Ryobi SC-160.

Today I used it for cutting a template out of MDF to mortise a hinge.
It cuts straight for a bit, then badly to the left. Any suggestions for how
to get it to cut straighter? I am hoping there is something to adjust,
rather than that is why it was so cheap!

Cutting a really straight line on a scroll saw can be tricky. The
blade's tooth set is such that you can make tight turns without having
too wide of a saw kerf. Here's how I do it. ( WARNING: and I'm no
scroll saw expert.) Cut a piece of scrap to get a feel for the saw's
drift. Now try repositioning yourself in front of the blade. For me,
that's just right of the center of the blade. Using this position makes
it easier for me to visualize where the cut will take place. In other
words, don't try to cut a straight line by referencing the piece to the
blade and arm. Discover where the imaginary reference point is for your
saw. It takes a little practice and trial and error. The payoff is
once you figure it out, you'll be cutting straight lines without even
thinking about it.

Hope that made sense...the morning coffee hasn't started kicking in yet.

--
Larry G. Laminger
http://woodworks.laminger.com

Walt Conner

It is the nature of the way most, if not all, scroll saw blades are
manufactured, stamped out thus having most or all of set on one side.

Walt Conner