Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plywood Storage

My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

Has anyone here done this before?

I waste a lot of plywood because it eventually gets ruined in my shop
w/o a dedicated storage system.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:23:46 -0800 (PST), GarageWoodworks
wrote:

My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

What sort of roof does it have? Loading may be a problem.

Has anyone here done this before?

I waste a lot of plywood because it eventually gets ruined in my shop
w/o a dedicated storage system.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Brian,
Do you have space for a triangled cart? I know it may seem a bit
cumbersome to have to wheel it out of the way when necessary but it
keeps your sheet goods closer to the ground so you won't be straining
to fight gravity when you are filling or emptying your storage rack.
Everything you need- sheet good wise - is right there to see, plus you
could roll the stock up to your table saw or work bench for easier
placement.

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

What sort of roof does it have? *Loading may be a problem.

Has anyone here done this before?

I waste a lot of plywood because it eventually gets ruined in my shop
w/o a dedicated storage system.

The ceiling in my woodshop (garage) is the floor to the second floor
above. Should be able to hold it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 13, 9:07*pm, marc rosen wrote:
Hey Brian,
Do you have space for a triangled cart? *I know it may seem a bit
cumbersome to have to wheel it out of the way when necessary but it
keeps your sheet goods closer to the ground so you won't be straining
to fight gravity when you are filling or emptying your storage rack.
Everything you need- sheet good wise - is right there to see, plus you
could roll the stock up to your table saw or work bench for easier
placement.

Marc

Considered that, but it would constantly be in the way. I don't use
ply very often so having it above shouldn't be an issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:43:40 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks
scrawled the following:

On Jan 13, 9:07*pm, marc rosen wrote:
Hey Brian,
Do you have space for a triangled cart? *I know it may seem a bit
cumbersome to have to wheel it out of the way when necessary but it
keeps your sheet goods closer to the ground so you won't be straining
to fight gravity when you are filling or emptying your storage rack.
Everything you need- sheet good wise - is right there to see, plus you
could roll the stock up to your table saw or work bench for easier
placement.

Marc

Considered that, but it would constantly be in the way. I don't use
ply very often so having it above shouldn't be an issue.

I did some welded up 5/8" square tubing brackets for my 2' x 2' x 8'
overhead, but it was for large boxes, not ply. The HF tig was my
required new tool for that.

Are you going to put 2 of them above the garage door, Brian? You'll
need plenty of takedown area, a long slot for each. Do you have that
kind of room in your gar^H^H^Hshop, mon?

GIFs at 11, I presume? Bueno.

--
What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of
having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's
Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

How many sheets? Let's see...

20 sheets of 3/4 would weigh about 1500. Stored flat that would be about
47 lbs/sq.ft load if the weight was perfectly supported over the entire area
which it can't be.

I don't think I'd want to do it.

Storing sheet goods is a real PITA.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

Has anyone here done this before?

I waste a lot of plywood because it eventually gets ruined in my shop
w/o a dedicated storage system.

I have a similar set up above my garage door. Why above the garage door?
To keep me from putting too much up there. Keep in mind that 3/4" plywood
is heavy, you "fasteners" need to be able to hold a lot of weight. 4 sheets
of 3/4" plywood/mdf could weigh in the 250-320 lb. range. That weight is
going to be transferred to your fasteners, and that is no only going to be
static weight. You will be pushing and pulling....

I would advise checking your ceiling joist specs but you have mentioned that
you have living space above. It should not be a problem provising you dont
get carried away with loaking it up.

Think also that you will be walking under that mass,,,, you would not want
it to fall down on top of you.

Basically I only use mine for left overs. I never buy any more plywood than
what I need for a project at the time I need the material.
Because up high storage is tough to work with , a 2 person job to load and
unload, it is less trouble for me to never have to put a sheet up there
unless absolutely necessary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/13/2010 10:43 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

It is not just the weight. Plywood under the best of circumstances is
clumsy. Tight spaces and lifting just makes it that much more difficult.

Overhead storage of bulky, unwieldy and heavy items in a known area of
limited space sounds very much to me like congressional problem solving
funded by taxpayer dollars.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:27:44 -0800, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Storing that kind of weight and size overhead is a tad more difficult
than pushing on a rope.

Lew

Ok. You got me thinking Lew. Need to rethink this.

I attached some tapered supports (1.5" at the bottom, 0.25" at the top)
4' high to some studs on the back wall. Above that I mounted some
brackets for lumber storage.

This supports the plywood every 24" and I've seen no evidence of sagging
after many years.

It wouldn't work if you buy plywood a dozen sheets at a time, but for
storing 3 or 4 full sheets and a small accumulation of smaller pieces, it
works fine.

It would be a PITA if I needed to get at the plywood every day, but I
don't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

Has anyone here done this before?

I waste a lot of plywood because it eventually gets ruined in my shop
w/o a dedicated storage system.

I like storing sheet goods vertically.

Easier to view them. Easier to pull them out.

No dead corner in the shop??
Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks writes:
My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

A good sheet of 3/4" ply can weight 80# or more. 10 sheets is 800#;
can your hanging storage system handle all that?

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" writes:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

How many sheets? Let's see...

20 sheets of 3/4 would weigh about 1500. Stored flat that would be about
47 lbs/sq.ft load if the weight was perfectly supported over the entire area
which it can't be.

I don't think I'd want to do it.

Storing sheet goods is a real PITA.

Yep. I ended up storing 10 sheets of 3/4" cherry 13ply under the
spare bed; about 750#.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 13, 8:23*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.

Folks who have reason to store significant numbers of 4x8 plywood
sheets lay the stuff flat, close to the floor (but not directly "on"
the floor).

Examples can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, et al.

Most of us simply cannot afford the space required for this ideal
plywood storage system - especially since individual stacks are
maintained for each type and thickness obviating the need to remove
one or more sheets to get to one at or near the bottom of the stack.

It is unlikely any of us will improve upon this appraoch - or reduce
the "footprint" it demands in the process.

The answer is "short-term" storage for the average woodworker and the
various "on edge w/support" approach is likely to prove the best way
to go.

The quantity stored should reflect the operation(s) in progress and
the delivery time required for such large materials.

When it comes to large or bulky stock and materials, order what you
need a bit before you are prepared to use it seems the best approach.

A "dumpster diver" myself, I have hoarded materials over time in
anticipation of a myriad of "projects" that might someday be. So I can
commiserate with the OP's intentions and have attempted various
"solutions" to comport my need for work space with my disinclination
to turn some long-held stash into firewood.

I built a big barn, then added an extension and intend to build an
equipment shed next - and re-arrange the basement while I'm at it.

The cart shown at http://diversify.com/wood/sheetgoodcart.jpg doesn't
seem to "do it" as the footprint appears too small to support a 4 x 8
sheet on it's long edge. In my case, I use a couple of short 2x4
"feet" attached with a 1x3 ledger strip and lay the sheets on these
feet and lean them against the shop wall

But, as mentioned, this is not a great idea for long-term storage of a
variety of sheets intended for unspecified projects to be started at
some time in the future.

As to the over-head storage idea, I'd pass. Too old any more to be
wielding 40 pound sheets of stock I can barely hold onto into a small
opening seven or eight feet above the floor. To say nothing of the
difficulty of removing the bottom sheet when it is - and none of the
others on top of it - needed for the project.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
As to the over-head storage idea, I'd pass. Too old any more to be
wielding 40 pound sheets of stock I can barely hold onto into a small
opening seven or eight feet above the floor. To say nothing of the
difficulty of removing the bottom sheet when it is - and none of the
others on top of it - needed for the project.

you never saw someone pull the tablecloth out from under the fully set place
settings?

same way. it's all in the wrist.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote:

My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

Has anyone here done this before?

I waste a lot of plywood because it eventually gets ruined in my shop
w/o a dedicated storage system.

I like storing sheet goods vertically.

Easier to view them. Easier to pull them out.

No dead corner in the shop??

I built a *movable* plywood storage rack (it's on casters).
Fits in a corner of the shop.
http://picasaweb.google.com/contrari...67571633625506
or
http://tinyurl.com/ylbcfqw

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

Has anyone here done this before?

I waste a lot of plywood because it eventually gets ruined in my shop
w/o a dedicated storage system.

30 years ago I thought it was a great idea. Hung the supports for a
rack before I drywalled the ceiling. I've got some plywood I'll get
to some day up there, but its pretty much just used for dimensional
lumber now. I'm going to build something vertical now that I can keep
the sheets totally upright in and still be able to roll it out of the
way. I have a 10' ceiling. What ever I do my primary design
considerations will to be able to pull one sheet out with out having
to move any others, and having a way to hold them so they can't
develope a bow in the sheet.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

Has anyone here done this before?

I waste a lot of plywood because it eventually gets ruined in my shop
w/o a dedicated storage system.

I like storing sheet goods vertically.

Easier to view them. *Easier to pull them out.

No dead corner in the shop??

I built a *movable* plywood storage rack (it's on casters).
Fits in a corner of the shop.http://picasaweb.google.com/contrari...#5426767571633...
orhttp://tinyurl.com/ylbcfqw

Max

Yeah. Perfect.

I mean ... if you DON'T have the room, then you don't have the room,
but ... I do like what you built, there. Very nice!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My next project is going to be to make a plywood storage system.
Because I have limited space, I am planning on making a storage system
that hangs from the ceiling.

Has anyone here done this before?

I waste a lot of plywood because it eventually gets ruined in my shop
w/o a dedicated storage system.

I recall a Tools and Shops issue of Fine Woodworking some years ago
where someone had an overhead storage that I believe was for sheet
goods. The shop was very small, if I recall correctly.