Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T -- cutting glass block

On Jan 10, 9:09*pm, " wrote:
Number One son has drafted me for a bathroom renovation, which may
involve installing a glass block partial wall. *The rub is that he wants
it flush against his sloped ceiling. *Is it possible to cut glass blocks
accurately and cleanly? *Any tips will be appreciated.

Larry

For interior use, the acrylic blocks are a good choice. they can
easily be cut.

Glass blocks are never cut.. not that I have ever seen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 10, 9:09 pm, " wrote:
Number One son has drafted me for a bathroom renovation, which may
involve installing a glass block partial wall. The rub is that he
wants it flush against his sloped ceiling. Is it possible to cut
glass blocks accurately and cleanly? Any tips will be appreciated.

Larry

For interior use, the acrylic blocks are a good choice. they can
easily be cut.

Glass blocks are never cut.. not that I have ever seen.

i've never seen them cut and installed either, but a tile saw will go
through one pretty quickly.

you can get 1/2 height blocks. i've also made a glass block out of stained
glass and used that in a non-standard height place, or perhaps you can make
a wood block and use it as a base or fill block on the top (obwwr)?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/10 12:02 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 10, 9:09 pm, wrote:
Number One son has drafted me for a bathroom renovation, which may
involve installing a glass block partial wall. The rub is that he wants
it flush against his sloped ceiling. Is it possible to cut glass blocks
accurately and cleanly? Any tips will be appreciated.

Larry

For interior use, the acrylic blocks are a good choice. they can
easily be cut.

Glass blocks are never cut.. not that I have ever seen.

How about using the acrylic blocks, just where the cuts need to be made,
assuming you can get some with a similar enough appearance.

Just an idle thought. At the ceiling the difference should be less
noticeable, and if you like the appearance of the glass enough to offset
the disparity.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:56:17 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 10, 9:09 pm, " wrote:
Number One son has drafted me for a bathroom renovation, which may
involve installing a glass block partial wall. The rub is that he
wants it flush against his sloped ceiling. Is it possible to cut
glass blocks accurately and cleanly? Any tips will be appreciated.

Larry

For interior use, the acrylic blocks are a good choice. they can
easily be cut.

Glass blocks are never cut.. not that I have ever seen.

i've never seen them cut and installed either, but a tile saw will go
through one pretty quickly.

....I just did a kitchen and lady selected glass tile sheets for her
splash...I went to the local marble/stone house and there on the wall
was "glass blades"...bought one, installed on my wet saw, and she cut
sweet as can be. Would have no qualms cutting some glass blocks.
OTOH, is the ceiling sloped? If not, why not construct a "base" out
of whatever material would complement the glass and set the blocks on
*it?* Then you could figger the measures, block and grout, to come
out with a grout line on top...

cg

you can get 1/2 height blocks. i've also made a glass block out of stained
glass and used that in a non-standard height place, or perhaps you can make
a wood block and use it as a base or fill block on the top (obwwr)?

Mortarless Glass Block Lair Home Repair 3 July 8th 07 01:38 AM
Glass Block Windows Steve Home Repair 9 July 24th 05 12:42 PM
Glass Block Flooring Beartums Home Repair 5 March 23rd 05 08:50 PM
Drilling through Glass Block Dusty Workshop Woodworking 7 September 28th 04 11:52 PM