Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Iron on edge -- laminate trimmer?

I don't have much luck with those razor knife trimmers for iron on
wood edging for plywood.

There ok but not perfect.

I'll try my laminate trimmer but before I do, has anyone done it this
way? with a standard flush laminate trimmer bit?

Posted to rec.woodworking

mkr5000 wrote:
I don't have much luck with those razor knife trimmers for iron on
wood edging for plywood.

There ok but not perfect.

I'll try my laminate trimmer but before I do, has anyone done it this
way? with a standard flush laminate trimmer bit?

I just use a utility knife. Maybe touch up if needed with a fine file or
sandpaper.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 12:11*pm, mkr5000 wrote:
I don't have much luck with those razor knife trimmers for iron on
wood edging for plywood.

There ok but not perfect.

I'll try my laminate trimmer but before I do, has anyone done it this
way? with a standard flush laminate trimmer bit?

Nothing works as well as a stubby 1-1/4" chisel with a tiny micro-back-
bevel. In a shearing, downward motion with the back of the chisel flat
to the panel..make it like 45 degree scissor action.
Also... when ironing on the tape, hold the freshly applied tape down
with a block of something smooth and cold..press the tape's adhesives
into the endgrain of the panel and let it cool.. like a heat-sink.
I have been meaning to video tape the fast, reliable, easy way to
apply and trim iron-on tape, but you know how it is.
BTW.. iron tapes are a totally credible product. Especially the wood
types after they are finished with the rest of the panel.
The white ones for melamine require a bit of care.
A laminate trimmer will gum up the bearing in seconds and on wood tape
with rip off a nice snipe for you.
On wood tape, cut in the direction the of the grain that goes away
from the edge... again, dammit why don't I seem to have the time to
video that.
Don't bother with the fancy-pants virutex, Freud, double trimmers...my
way is MUCH more accurate and faster.
Nothing teaches one quicker than having a kitchen to deliver when the
edgebander ****s the bed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mkr5000" wrote:

I don't have much luck with those razor knife trimmers for iron on
wood edging for plywood.

snip

I use a 10" flat ******* file to trim edging.

Nothing to gum up.

YMMV

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

thanks robatoy -- chisel sounds like the way to go. will do some
practice parts -- hate those razor trimmers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 10:59*am, mkr5000 wrote:
thanks robatoy -- chisel sounds like the way to go. will do some
practice parts -- hate those razor trimmers.

Sharp, but not crazy sharp because you don't want to dig into your
panel. It is a natural feel.
Keep an eye on the grain, you don't want your chisel to pull on the
tape, in case where the grain changes direction/angle, you change
direction.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 10:59*am, mkr5000 wrote:
thanks robatoy -- chisel sounds like the way to go. will do some
practice parts -- hate those razor trimmers.

Finish up with a sanding block. 150 grit 1/2 sheet on a piece of 5/8
PB, contact cement it on. lasts and lasts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Do it on the router table....

mkr5000 wrote:
I don't have much luck with those razor knife trimmers for iron on
wood edging for plywood.

There ok but not perfect.

I'll try my laminate trimmer but before I do, has anyone done it this
way? with a standard flush laminate trimmer bit?

Table for Laminate Trimmer Morgan Woodworking 5 August 4th 08 01:33 AM
laminate trimmer SimonLW Woodworking 5 November 2nd 06 12:15 AM
Ryobi Laminate Trimmer - suggestions? ivytheplant Woodworking 8 October 26th 06 08:50 PM
automatic line feed grass/edge trimmer John Doe Home Repair 0 January 27th 05 07:04 AM
Laminate Trimmer routers FOW Woodworking 1 July 12th 03 03:32 AM