John Doe

Default automatic line feed grass/edge trimmer

I posted about this one year ago, this is an update.

The specific model was an inexpensive $50 USD Black & Decker Grass
Hog.

It has worked great, except for one snag. The design is impressively
simple, in my opinion. Inside the feeder mechanism there is a white
moving lever. That lever beats against another piece of plastic.
After the line stopped feeding, I looked around carefully and noticed
a tiny deformation at that point where the lever beats against the
surrounding piece of plastic. Apparently that deformation was causing
it to stick against the other surfaces. So I carefully used a utility
knife to smooth the top of that white plastic moving piece. After
that, it began feeding just fine again.

Out of curiosity, anyone buy a plastic grass trimmer which did not
have a metal grommet for the string? Did the line cut through the
plastic?