Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hold my beer - I'm gonna try try something...

To prevent damage from exposure to the environment (rain, snow, salt,
UV, bugs, etc) I've been thinking about wrapping the outside of some
wooden boxes in stainless steel for some time now.

The rough plan is to apply spray adhesive - something similar to

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=SY505-2691

to the wood and then very carefully apply 0.002" stainless steel foil
similar to this stuff

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=SY326-1520

over the adhesive and use a roller to ensure good contact / smooth surface.

I've never done anything like this before, neither the adhesive nor the
foil is particularly cheap, and the wooden boxes are expensive enough to
make me nervous about screwing up even one full-sized test.

Has anyone tried anything like this (first-hand experience) or know of
someone else who did? Did it work and if not, why not?

Does anyone know of more suitable/better/longer-lasting materials?

Any technique suggestions that might make the job easier or provide
longer-lasting protection?

Thanks!

--
Morris Dovey