Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Like Craftsman

Check out these guys. Sort of an ode to Gustave. Really nice stuff.

http://www.sgcraftsmanfurniture.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 16:07:42 -0800 (PST), the infamous
"SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Check out these guys. Sort of an ode to Gustave. Really nice stuff.

http://www.sgcraftsmanfurniture.com/

Uncle Gus is cussing you now, sir. It's "Gustav", no "e". I know how
he feels. (My nick is C'less, remember?

That looks like it was styled after Ellis' work. NICE!

P.S: If you've ever sat in a perfect 90-degree chair, where the seat
and back are perpendicular (Shaker, early Mission, etc.), you'll know
that it's not at all comfy. Make sure the furniture you build has at
least a few degrees of outward tilt 'twixt the two. 95-100 degrees is
great.

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ahhh you fell into my trap. It was a legite post but just this last
week I was reading "The Craftsman" the afformentioned Mr. Stickley's
publication. Yes, I too have seen it "Gustav" for all these many
years. However, on the front cover of Vol. 1 No. 1 it has a copyright
notice at the bottom of the cover where it says "Copyright Gustave
Stickley". Also on the last page it has his signature near his compass
logo and it too clearly has an "e"

On Jan 6, 7:20*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2010 9:20 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: If you've ever sat in a perfect 90-degree chair, where the seat
and back are perpendicular (Shaker, early Mission, etc.), you'll know
that it's not at all comfy. Make sure the furniture you build has at
least a few degrees of outward tilt 'twixt the two. 95-100 degrees is
great.

The wood was finished nicely...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think the first one might be hard to profit on at that price but if
you build some patterns, jigs and fixtures and do a few at a time, it
should be OK. Of course they are sitting on top of the lumber and
probably get their QS oak for $2 a bf.

On Jan 6, 8:05*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 1/6/2010 9:20 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: If you've ever sat in a perfect 90-degree chair, where the seat
and back are perpendicular (Shaker, early Mission, etc.), you'll know
that it's not at all comfy. *Make sure the furniture you build has at
least a few degrees of outward tilt 'twixt the two. 95-100 degrees is
great.

The wood was finished nicely...

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 6, 8:05 pm, wrote:
On 1/6/2010 9:20 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: If you've ever sat in a perfect 90-degree chair, where the seat
and back are perpendicular (Shaker, early Mission, etc.), you'll know
that it's not at all comfy. Make sure the furniture you build has at
least a few degrees of outward tilt 'twixt the two. 95-100 degrees is
great.

The wood was finished nicely...

Obviously sticklers for detail ... the inset drawer fronts are
impeccably done.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Check out these guys. Sort of an ode to Gustave. Really nice stuff.

http://www.sgcraftsmanfurniture.com/

Nice looking furniture and very reasonable price -- I couldn't do it for
that price, they must have some sort of production line going to get
efficient output.

Nice designs

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Check out these guys. Sort of an ode to Gustave. Really nice stuff.

http://www.sgcraftsmanfurniture.com/

Ahh very nice. You may also enjoy,

http://www.michaelcolca.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I think the first one might be hard to profit on at that price but if
you build some patterns, jigs and fixtures and do a few at a time, it
should be OK. Of course they are sitting on top of the lumber and
probably get their QS oak for $2 a bf.

Like most business models will point towards, volume. Making several of an
item cuts way down on production labor costs. It takes little more time to
immediately cut 20 pieces than one piece, then remeasure, set the saw up
again, and cut another piece and so on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:43:58 -0800 (PST), the infamous
"SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Ahhh you fell into my trap. It was a legite post but just this last
week I was reading "The Craftsman" the afformentioned Mr. Stickley's
publication. Yes, I too have seen it "Gustav" for all these many
years. However, on the front cover of Vol. 1 No. 1 it has a copyright
notice at the bottom of the cover where it says "Copyright Gustave
Stickley". Also on the last page it has his signature near his compass
logo and it too clearly has an "e"

1904 is the earliest I could find online, and it says Copyright by
Gustav Stickley. http://fwd4.me/AWT

Oh, wait a minute, I found it. You're right, that's what it says, but
I'll bet it was a misprint and they shot the typographer for it.
http://fwd4.me/AWW I haven't found the E anywhere else I've ever
seen. Have you?

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:20:06 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On Jan 6, 8:05 pm, wrote:
On 1/6/2010 9:20 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: If you've ever sat in a perfect 90-degree chair, where the seat
and back are perpendicular (Shaker, early Mission, etc.), you'll know
that it's not at all comfy. Make sure the furniture you build has at
least a few degrees of outward tilt 'twixt the two. 95-100 degrees is
great.

The wood was finished nicely...

Obviously sticklers for detail ... the inset drawer fronts are
impeccably done.

Yeah, I didn't have any problem with their style or finish; it was
beautiful stuff. I could just -feel- the straight backs from looking
at them, though. They were too perfect a reproduction.

Swingy, have you ever sat in a repro Stickley rocker? They're
beautiful but horribly stiff and straight. Very uncomfortable. My
last client was a woodworker. I spent several days over there and
always was placed in the Stickley when I sat to talk with him about
the deck. He lost 3 fingers to a kickback so he had only his thumb and
little finger on his right hand, but he did beautiful work. He didn't
like the straight back, either. They're also short by current
standards. I think the seat was only 14" or so from the ground.

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 8:40*am, "Leon" wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

Check out these guys. Sort of an ode to Gustave. Really nice stuff.

http://www.sgcraftsmanfurniture.com/

Ahh very nice. *You may also enjoy,

http://www.michaelcolca.com/

Ouch! That stuff is about 5X what I paid for the Amish mission
bedroom and dining room sets, in Cherry. That puts it out of my
league, for sure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I went back and looked at the signature on the last page of the Vol 1
issue and if you look at the 'e' at the end of Stickley and look at
the end of the Gustav-e signature it is clearly, nearly exactly, the
same. So in 1901 he was signing it with an e.

I suppose he could have dropped it later for some reason.

On Jan 7, 8:11*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, this is a keeper. Excellent craftsmanship but I am not a super
fan of the designs. I like the genearl arrangements but some of the
details just aren't exactly to my style. The biggest one for me is
rounded through tenons! What! come on, isn't that just a bit cheesy?
The execution looks flawless, I just don't like the concept.

On Jan 7, 6:40*am, "Leon" wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

Check out these guys. Sort of an ode to Gustave. Really nice stuff.

http://www.sgcraftsmanfurniture.com/

Ahh very nice. *You may also enjoy,

http://www.michaelcolca.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Yeah, this is a keeper. Excellent craftsmanship but I am not a super
fan of the designs. I like the genearl arrangements but some of the
details just aren't exactly to my style. The biggest one for me is
rounded through tenons! What! come on, isn't that just a bit cheesy?
The execution looks flawless, I just don't like the concept.

What I like is the DT joint that attaches the mirror to the dresser as seen
from the back. Agreed, it is all about the execution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 08:40:46 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Check out these guys. Sort of an ode to Gustave. Really nice stuff.

http://www.sgcraftsmanfurniture.com/

Ahh very nice. You may also enjoy,

http://www.michaelcolca.com/

Beauteous. Erm, $18k for a highboy?

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:12:53 -0800 (PST), the infamous
" scrawled the following:

On Jan 7, 8:40*am, "Leon" wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

Check out these guys. Sort of an ode to Gustave. Really nice stuff.

http://www.sgcraftsmanfurniture.com/

Ahh very nice. *You may also enjoy,

http://www.michaelcolca.com/

Ouch! That stuff is about 5X what I paid for the Amish mission
bedroom and dining room sets, in Cherry. That puts it out of my
league, for sure.

That's the type of stuff you _make_, not buy.

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 12:00*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 08:40:46 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Check out these guys. Sort of an ode to Gustave. Really nice stuff.

http://www.sgcraftsmanfurniture.com/

Ahh very nice. *You may also enjoy,

http://www.michaelcolca.com/

Beauteous. *Erm, $18k for a highboy?

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. * --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

You mean this one?
http://www.michaelcolca.com/images/p...manhighboy.jpg
*I*, personally, don't see 18K... but I can identify with the kind of
client who'd consider that doable.
18K ain't what it used to be. You cannot even get a decent used Lexus
for that.... and I'd much rather have that high-bye [sic]
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:48:11 -0800 (PST), the infamous
"SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Yeah, this is a keeper. Excellent craftsmanship but I am not a super
fan of the designs. I like the genearl arrangements but some of the
details just aren't exactly to my style. The biggest one for me is
rounded through tenons! What! come on, isn't that just a bit cheesy?
The execution looks flawless, I just don't like the concept.

Agreed. I also dislike the facial dovies. If drawers are dovied, they
should be half so the facial wood is intact. It looks broken up and
cheapened with full dovies on the front, IMNSHO.

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2010 11:12 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Agreed. I also dislike the facial dovies. If drawers are dovied, they
should be half so the facial wood is intact. It looks broken up and
cheapened with full dovies on the front, IMNSHO.

But, but ... that's pretty much "considered" by many to a trademark of
Greene & Greene, albeit rounded ... you heretic, you!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:48:11 -0800 (PST), the infamous
"SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Yeah, this is a keeper. Excellent craftsmanship but I am not a super
fan of the designs. I like the genearl arrangements but some of the
details just aren't exactly to my style. The biggest one for me is
rounded through tenons! What! come on, isn't that just a bit cheesy?
The execution looks flawless, I just don't like the concept.

Agreed. I also dislike the facial dovies. If drawers are dovied, they
should be half so the facial wood is intact. It looks broken up and
cheapened with full dovies on the front, IMNSHO.

Look closely, those are box joints. Half blind box joints would be quite the
trick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2010 11:58 AM, CW wrote:

Look closely, those are box joints. Half blind box joints would be quite
the trick.

I believe you are correct ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 9:58*am, "CW" wrote:

Look closely, those are box joints. Half blind box joints would be quite the
trick.

Not a hard trick, if you use a square-chisel mortiser... in fact, you
could do double-blind box joints. The end surface of the mortise
isn't very clean, but that's against endgrain anyhow (the glue
wouldn't
stick there, regardless).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:43:03 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 1/8/2010 11:12 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Agreed. I also dislike the facial dovies. If drawers are dovied, they
should be half so the facial wood is intact. It looks broken up and
cheapened with full dovies on the front, IMNSHO.

But, but ... that's pretty much "considered" by many to a trademark of
Greene & Greene, albeit rounded ... you heretic, you!

NO! Take it back, heathen!

I just thumbed through _Greene & Greene Masterworks_ and saw only one
example of exposed dovies. It was the timberframe work in the Gamble
House.

IMHO, the Thorson sideboard is their finest work of furniture and it's
entirely free of visual dovies. Uncles Chuck and Henry are my heroes.
They wouldn't do exposed dovies like that. That's reserved for sailor
boxes and such. I think they used them more as a physical style than
a visual one.

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:58:14 -0800, the infamous "CW"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:48:11 -0800 (PST), the infamous
"SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Yeah, this is a keeper. Excellent craftsmanship but I am not a super
fan of the designs. I like the genearl arrangements but some of the
details just aren't exactly to my style. The biggest one for me is
rounded through tenons! What! come on, isn't that just a bit cheesy?
The execution looks flawless, I just don't like the concept.

Agreed. I also dislike the facial dovies. If drawers are dovied, they
should be half so the facial wood is intact. It looks broken up and
cheapened with full dovies on the front, IMNSHO.

Look closely, those are box joints.

A rose, by any other name, still rips the **** out of you with its
thorns.

Half blind box joints would be quite the trick.

You think half-blind dovetails aren't tricky?

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

You think half-blind dovetails aren't tricky?

--

Depends how you did them. If by hand, (highly unlikely) then they would be
rather tricky. If done by machine, quite easy.