Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Almost Scary Sharp

Santa dropped off a Drill Doctor 500X.

For years I have been waiting for Drill Doctor to come out with the
sharpener that would sharpen a brad point bit.

I gave up.

After buying some COLT 5 Star brad point bits and seeing all the grind
angles to produce that cutting tip I think the machine would be too
expensive if it ever surfaces.

The Drill Doctor 500X is stupid simple and fast and will sharpen most any
common twist drill bit including carbide tipped masonry bits.

The results I was getting yesterday on my first through last, about 30,
yielded results that felt sharper than a "never been used" set of Hitachi
drill bits.

A sharpened 1/4" bit through 1/4" steel was relatively quick and with out
heat. The steel was mildly warm as was the bit after making the through
hole with out lubrication.

That same bit through a rabbet without bottom support, to reduce tear out,
on a piece of oak yielded an entry and exit hole with less tear out on both
sides than any of my "common" brad point bits have ever been able to
produce. The COLT 5 Star brad point bits still produce holes similar to
those cut with a Forstner bit.

Using a sharpened 1/2" twist bit on the piece of oak yielded the same
results on entry, I did not go through however.

This particular model sharpener also lets you add a split point to any
normal twist bit. The split point helps prevent the bit from wandering at
the beginning of the cut and reduces the need for a punch point normally
used as a starting position in steel.

Soooo it looks like I may go back, after 25 years, to using regular twist
bits for those odd sized holes when drilling holes in wood. AND because
the sharpening operation is so quick and easy I may resharpen every bit
before it goes back in the box.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/28/2009 07:54 AM, Leon wrote:
The Drill Doctor 500X is stupid simple and fast and will sharpen most any
common twist drill bit including carbide tipped masonry bits.

snipped a bunch of good stuff

Soooo it looks like I may go back, after 25 years, to using regular twist
bits for those odd sized holes when drilling holes in wood. AND because
the sharpening operation is so quick and easy I may resharpen every bit
before it goes back in the box.

Cool! I've been wanting a Drill Doctor for a long time, and you've just renewed my
interest. Thanks for the review, Leon.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
On 12/28/2009 07:54 AM, Leon wrote:
The Drill Doctor 500X is stupid simple and fast and will sharpen most any
common twist drill bit including carbide tipped masonry bits.

snipped a bunch of good stuff

Soooo it looks like I may go back, after 25 years, to using regular twist
bits for those odd sized holes when drilling holes in wood. AND
because
the sharpening operation is so quick and easy I may resharpen every bit
before it goes back in the box.

Cool! I've been wanting a Drill Doctor for a long time, and you've just
renewed my interest. Thanks for the review, Leon.

Ditto ... Rockler has more sales this week, but don't know whether the
Drill Doctor is excluded or not.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

Steve Turner wrote:
On 12/28/2009 07:54 AM, Leon wrote:
The Drill Doctor 500X is stupid simple and fast and will sharpen
most any common twist drill bit including carbide tipped masonry
bits.

snipped a bunch of good stuff

Soooo it looks like I may go back, after 25 years, to using regular
twist bits for those odd sized holes when drilling holes in wood.
AND because
the sharpening operation is so quick and easy I may resharpen every
bit before it goes back in the box.

Cool! I've been wanting a Drill Doctor for a long time, and you've
just renewed my interest. Thanks for the review, Leon.

Ditto ... Rockler has more sales this week, but don't know whether the
Drill Doctor is excluded or not.

Nothing on Drill Doctor 500X on Rockler. Amazon has it for $99 or so

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/28/09 8:57 AM, Swingman wrote:
Ditto ... Rockler has more sales this week, but don't know whether the
Drill Doctor is excluded or not.

Ah yes, Rockler (and Woodcraft for that matter).

Home of the "Huge Percentage Off*" coupon.
[*discount not available on anything you might actually want.]

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message

Nothing on Drill Doctor 500X on Rockler. Amazon has it for $99 or so

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1583...l-Doctor-500-X

Use key code X953001X for $1 shipping

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Home of the "Huge Percentage Off*" coupon.
[*discount not available on anything you might actually want.]

How true, everytime I go in there with that coupon I'm told it's not good
for that item. Usually leave spending 100.00 and coupon in hand.

--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message

Nothing on Drill Doctor 500X on Rockler. Amazon has it for $99 or so

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1583...l-Doctor-500-X

Use key code X953001X for $1 shipping

OK, but I already paid for the Amazon prime free shiiping thingy, so $99.95
is cheaper.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Santa dropped off a Drill Doctor 500X.

snip

Soooo it looks like I may go back, after 25 years, to using regular twist
bits for those odd sized holes when drilling holes in wood. AND because
the sharpening operation is so quick and easy I may resharpen every bit
before it goes back in the box.

Did that 2 years ago. I had a cigar box full and couple of cans of
bits and did them all. I put the DD away and have not needed it since.
Still swapping out the sharp ones and storing away the dull ones.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Sleep is nature's way of telling you