Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Clearcoat Test-Finish Update

Maybe a year ago, there was a discussion, here, regarding using a
paint base, without the tint added, as a clearcoat finish on an
exterior project. This past spring, I stripped and refinishied a
swing with 3 coats of Olympic Fast Hide Ultra, Int/Ext Alkyd Gloss,
Base 5 - #218156 (directions on the can- "Must be tinted").... no tint
added.

I don't detect the finish, itself, failing, yet, but it sure has
blackened with mold/mildew, horribly so. When new (I made the swing),
I had finished it with Spar Urethane and there was no such molding/
mildewing/blackening build-up in the 5 years the Spar Urethane was on
it. The swing has always been hung under the same oak tree and pretty
much completely shaded, so the Spar Urethane held up well. The swing
is made of ER Cedar.

I'll clean the swing and see what the finish looks like, under the
black. As of now, I would not recommend using a paint base as a
clearcoat finish for an exterior piece.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
[...]

When did paint bases start being produced clear? I have never seen anything
but white for the base.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

There are some two part, catalyzed marine clear coat finishes
available, but due to VOC content, sale to the general public is
becoming a thing of the past.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

When did paint bases start being produced clear? �I have never seen anything
but white for the base.- -

I was not very knowledgeable of this sort of clearcoat until the
earlier discussion and, later, speaking with a painter friend about
the discussion. There are different bases and they are numbered 1
thru 5. If I recall, the higher the number the more clear the base
will be, when applied or dry. I normally use waterlox for most
exterior pieces, but I was interested in testing a paint base as an
option for an exterior finish.

I've applied BLO on cypress and it has developed a blacken appearance,
that, from a short distance, looks like a build-up, but is not a build-
up, as with this swing. It just darkens, somewhat. The build-up on
the swing has to partially be dust and such, then it molds or
mildews. It may also be the finish, itself, is molding and/or
mildewing. I haven't started the cleaning, yet, to see what may
actually be going on.

My friend did mention the VOC issue, also, and the less availablity of
those types of finishes.

Sonny

The #5 base I used had a gray, opaque color in the can, but was clear
on application and when dry. My painter friend said the base has no
UV protection... that it is the pigments, normally added, that would
protect against UV damage. Again, on the swing, I can't see, yet, if
the finish, itself, has any damage. I certainly don't like the
blackened build-up and I attribute that to this base's resistance to
such build-up. The spar urethane didn't show any build-up, as this.
I didn't expect the spar urethane to last as long as it did, but the
swing was in good shaded cover.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
Maybe a year ago, there was a discussion, here, regarding using a
paint base, without the tint added, as a clearcoat finish on an
exterior project. This past spring, I stripped and refinishied a
swing with 3 coats of Olympic Fast Hide Ultra, Int/Ext Alkyd Gloss,
Base 5 - #218156 (directions on the can- "Must be tinted").... no tint
added.

You put on what is essentially varnish.

Paints have different bases to facilitate tinting...if you want a light
color you start with a light base - one with lots of white (generally,
titanium dioxide). Deeper bases have decreasing amounts of that so that
they can be deeper in color. Decreasing the titanium dioxide increases
transparency.

You would do better just following the manufacturer's instructions vis a vis
paint selection.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

When light pastels and white.
When I get black they use dark but add 12 ounces of carbon black to a gallon.
Then it is BLACK!

When I get White - they use a clear and add metal oxides. Just not lead.
This is for metal paint. It isn't interior - but exterior metal.

Martin

Leon wrote:
"Sonny" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:35:14 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

When light pastels and white.
When I get black they use dark but add 12 ounces of carbon black to a gallon.
Then it is BLACK!

Dayum!

When I get White - they use a clear and add metal oxides. Just not lead.
This is for metal paint. It isn't interior - but exterior metal.

Titanium dioxide is the goto white pigment.

--
It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.
-- Garrison Keillor