Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT?: Not woodworking as such but about wood

Would anyone who lives in the London ON area have an idea where I might
get dedar with shich to make cedar shakes or know someone who would?

That is, _shakes_ not shingles.

We have a shake roof that's approaching the end of its days (one way or
another in the spring probably) and I need to find a source or sources.

Failing that, does anyone have some thoughts on a way to fudge around a
lack of the exactly correct materials ...or an idea about alternate
shake materials?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Not woodworking as such but about wood

"phorbin" wrote in message
Would anyone who lives in the London ON area have an idea where I might
get dedar with shich to make cedar shakes or know someone who would?

That is, _shakes_ not shingles.

We have a shake roof that's approaching the end of its days (one way or
another in the spring probably) and I need to find a source or sources.

Failing that, does anyone have some thoughts on a way to fudge around a
lack of the exactly correct materials ...or an idea about alternate
shake materials?

I have on my roof a Cedar "Shake" ....aluminum roof. Love it, life time
warranty and still looks like it did in 1992 when it was installed. Alcoa
makes it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

phorbin wrote:
Would anyone who lives in the London ON area have an idea where I might
get dedar with shich to make cedar shakes or know someone who would?

That is, _shakes_ not shingles.

We have a shake roof that's approaching the end of its days (one way or
another in the spring probably) and I need to find a source or sources.

Failing that, does anyone have some thoughts on a way to fudge around a
lack of the exactly correct materials ...or an idea about alternate
shake materials?

A quick Google search for "Cedar Shake" roofing "London, ON"
truned up quite a few hits. Here's one:

Gables Roofing

5194534108

London, ON

Gables Roofing are London

Shakes - asphalt shingles - re-roofing - Shingles

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

We just tore off a cedar shake roof (2/4" to 5/4" rough cedar shake)
about two weeks ago. I haven't replaced on here in South Texas in
about 5 years.

Here, when properly installed they last a long time. But the shakes
and technicians to install them are in short supply. When cedar shake
shingles were all the rage here in the 70s, we had them everywhere,
especially on the mid to upper priced homes.

Two things happened. We found down here that most cedar roofs
wouldn't stand the 100+ degree summers we have here for a usable
service life. The game changer for us was the fact that insurance
companies wrote exclusions or refused to insure homes with cedar shake
roofs as they burned so quickly.

So we change them to a dimensional shingle. You take off all the
shakes like you normally do for a roof replacement. Then deck the
roof over the skip sheathing with plywood or OSB. Felt it, tin cap
it, and shingle. This is also an excellent opportunity to install
ridge venting on your roof system.

I am sure in you area of the world you would need to follow the ice
and water shield details for shingle, and in some instances it may be
a requirement (if not a local code, a requirement for insurability) to
install "ice barriers" under the shingles.

http://tinyurl.com/y8desdl

For low slope applications, for "dead" (flat) valleys, under
complicated tile roof details, etc., we always use ice and water
shield. It is cheap insurance for our end product performance.

The last cedar shake roof I put on was about 25 years ago. At that
time, the cost to replace with a vastly inferior 0/4" - 2/4" #1
perfection grade split cedar shingle was about the same price as
converting to asphalt shingles, even with the decking.

You might weigh your options. If you convert, the next time you need
a roof, asphalt shingles are much easier (cheaper) to replace than
wood shakes. And if you have "heavies" or the large wood shakes, it
is much cheaper to replace.

Just my 0.02.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 11:25*am, phorbin wrote:
Would anyone who lives in the London ON area have an idea where I might
get dedar with shich to make cedar shakes or know someone who would?

That is, _shakes_ not shingles.

We have a shake roof that's approaching the end of its days (one way or
another in the spring probably) and I need to find a source or sources.

Failing that, does anyone have some thoughts on a way to fudge around a
lack of the exactly correct materials ...or an idea about alternate
shake materials?

Talk to Philmore on Sarnia Road. They know everybody in the wood
business.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"phorbin" wrote:

We have a shake roof that's approaching the end of its days (one way
or
another in the spring probably) and I need to find a source or
sources.

First thing I'd do is check with your insurance company and see if
they will continue to insure you if you replace your existing shake
with a new shake roof and at what cost.

Might surprise you.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , sails.man2
@verizon.net says...

"phorbin" wrote:

We have a shake roof that's approaching the end of its days (one way
or
another in the spring probably) and I need to find a source or
sources.

First thing I'd do is check with your insurance company and see if
they will continue to insure you if you replace your existing shake
with a new shake roof and at what cost.

Might surprise you.

That's a possibility but there are cedar shingle roofs going on here and
there around the city so at first glance it may not be an issue here.

I'll take put the question on the list and thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"phorbin" wrote:

That's a possibility but there are cedar shingle roofs going on here
and
there around the city so at first glance it may not be an issue
here.

I'll take put the question on the list and thanks.

Here in SoCal, it's fire season almost year around.

At one time there were a lot of shake roofs, but a few fires have put
them in a whole different perspective.

Good luck.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 3:48*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"phorbin" wrote:
That's a possibility but there are cedar shingle roofs going on here
and
there around the city so at first glance it may not be an issue
here.

I'll take put the question on the list and thanks.

Here in SoCal, it's fire season almost year around.

At one time there were a lot of shake roofs, but a few fires have put
them in a whole different perspective.

Good luck.

Lew

There are some treatments to reduce the hazard from flying embers
somewhat, but... insurance companies and consequently mortgage lenders
do everything they can to minimize risk down to the point of zero.
*******s recently denied a claim near here because the guy didn't have
'approved' containers for his riding mower (a diesel) and the fire
damage was at the other end of house due to faulty wiring (by others).
Dunno if that will stick at an elevated court case.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"phorbin" wrote:

That's a possibility but there are cedar shingle roofs going on here
and
there around the city so at first glance it may not be an issue
here.

I'll take put the question on the list and thanks.

Here in SoCal, it's fire season almost year around.

At one time there were a lot of shake roofs, but a few fires have put
them in a whole different perspective.

That's very much like saying the drivers in Manhattan are all experts. The
drivers who were not expert were killed off long ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 15:27:00 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article , sails.man2
says...

"phorbin" wrote:

We have a shake roof that's approaching the end of its days (one way
or
another in the spring probably) and I need to find a source or
sources.

First thing I'd do is check with your insurance company and see if
they will continue to insure you if you replace your existing shake
with a new shake roof and at what cost.

Might surprise you.

That's a possibility but there are cedar shingle roofs going on here and
there around the city so at first glance it may not be an issue here.

I'll take put the question on the list and thanks.

Definitely not an insurance issue in SouthWestern Ontario.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 11:25:13 -0500, the infamous phorbin
scrawled the following:

Would anyone who lives in the London ON area have an idea where I might
get dedar with shich to make cedar shakes or know someone who would?

That is, _shakes_ not shingles.

We have a shake roof that's approaching the end of its days (one way or
another in the spring probably) and I need to find a source or sources.

Failing that, does anyone have some thoughts on a way to fudge around a
lack of the exactly correct materials ...or an idea about alternate
shake materials?

We had cedar shake roofing in Southern California and it turned into a
nightmare during the fires. I strongly suggest you go to a
manufactured shake for the replacement. Your family, fire department,
and insurance company will thank you for it.

http://www.roofingstore.ca/Synthetic_Evershake_001.jpg is one from a
Canadian source.

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

Wildfires in southern Ontariariario aren't a major concern, Larry.

Were I there, it would be a pure cost/time decision. What's the cost
versus how long I plan on owning the house.

The old initial cost vs. cost of ownership game.

Lew