JB

Default old jointer restoration....

I have just acquired an old Craftsman jointer (model 103.20620).
Its in pretty rough shape (rust) and I was hoping to get some input
from you all on how to start restoring it. (or whether you would
even bother)

Main problem is rust, front and rear table. I have run a few boards
thru it, it cuts pretty well and true for its condition.
Nonetheless I assume a new set of knives are in order. Anyone know
where to find knives to fit this particular machine.

Right now my main goals are to get the rust off the table, give it a
new paint job (what type of paint), and start using it. This will
be my first jointer and I'm very excited about it.

If anyone can give me any ideas of where to begin with this thing,
and rust removal tips (I'm not really sure what the tables are made
of...cast iron??) I don't want to damage it by using the wrong rust
removal techniques. I have read the faq here on rust removal. I
would greatly appreciate it.

I've posted a few pics he

http://user.pa.net/~jb7345/jointer1.jpg
http://user.pa.net/~jb7345/jointer2.jpg

Thanks,
JB

Frank Campbell

In article , JB
wrote:

I have just acquired an old Craftsman jointer (model 103.20620).
Its in pretty rough shape (rust) and I was hoping to get some input
from you all on how to start restoring it. (or whether you would
even bother)

snip
Seeing that is deja vu all over again, it must be thirty some years ago
that I did some work for a sign maker that didn't have much money. When
I gave him the bill he took me into the back of his shop and pointed to
a jointer in about the same condition and asked if I was interested in
it. I got a lot of good use out of that machine for many years.
It is made of cast iron and actually doesn't look that bad, at least in
the pictures, you should be able to clean it up. Is there enough left
of the blades to send them out and get them sharpened?

Frank C.

--
http://sawdustmaking.com
ToolMiser

Do You have someone in your area that sharpens blades? My person is able to
order just about any size and thickness I have needed. Also his prices are
very competitive, and the quality is very good.