Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making Router Table Insert and Cutting opening for same - Questions

Another post about rectangular vs round router base plates contained a
suggestion that the rectangular approach would also serve as a/the
router table insert. Good idea, thought I. And, adding a router to my
RAS/Miter Saw work table became a new "thought-stage" project.

I've actually done this before, but thought to ask here for ideas on
how to cut the recess for the router plate (should I go the purchase
route and buy a "professional plate/base and how to cut the base plate
should I decide to build my own.

I was thinking of some sort of jig that would allow me to do both (cut
the plate & the recess) so that the one fit precisely into the other.

I have seen articles on the task over the years, but have none
bookmarked at the moment and the pile of woodworking magazines I've
save are too deeply store for ready access.

So, if anyone happens to have a suggestion or a URL that would prove
helpful, please response.

Thank you
Posted to rec.woodworking

So, if anyone happens to have a suggestion or a URL that would prove
helpful, please response.

This is the easiest technique I found, when I was looking...
and it worked flawlessly and accurately.

http://woodbutcher.net/insrtrtr.shtml

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 2:33 pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
[...]

Set of 3/8" and 5/8" bearing collars and a 1/8" straight bit. Attach
the plate to the template stock and rout around it with the smaller
bearing collar. Now you have a reuseable template. Attach the
template to the table surface and using the other bearing collar, rout
the dado (or all the way through if using levelers) to support the
insert.

Bob's yer uncle.

D'ohBoy
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 3:50 pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
[...]

Oh, yeah. Ummmm.... very similar to that link. But mine leaves you
with a reuseable template.

D'ohBoy
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 3:56*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

http://woodbutcher.net/insrtrtr.shtml

"template bushing and straight cutting bit combination that nets
¼" (for example, a ¼" bit and a ¾" collar,"

That is a good URL / Page - Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 4:50*pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

*Now you have a reuseable template. *

Thanks, Your approach offers an added "bonus"

The eight-inch bit seems a bit flimsy. What if I used a larger
diameter bit (I have quarter and half-inch bits)?

template bushing and straight cutting bit combination that nets
¼" (for example, a ¼" bit and a ¾" collar,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 11:23 pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Nov 30, 4:50 pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

Now you have a reuseable template.

Thanks, Your approach offers an added "bonus"

The eight-inch bit seems a bit flimsy. What if I used a larger
diameter bit (I have quarter and half-inch bits)?

template bushing and straight cutting bit combination that nets
¼" (for example, a ¼" bit and a ¾" collar,

As my calc prof used to say, I'll leave the math up to you Do the
math, draw it if necessary. It is a seemingly easy task to do, but
once I tried to do it in my head, I found myself reaching for a piece
of paper. When I was younger, that wouldn't have been necessary

D'ohBoy