Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question for anyone owning a Grizzly G0555 14" bandsaw

I just picked up my bandsaw at the local trucking depot but have not
assembled it yet. I also ordered and have received the riser block kit. I
assume when I assemble the bandsaw and stand I should also put in the riser
block (i.e., it is always on the bandsaw) rather than installing it when I
have some resawing to do of bigger material and removing it when I am done.
That seems like it would be a big hassle. The only reason I can think of to
have it only only during resawing is if the riser block and longer saw blade
has some negative effect when I am using the saw for something other than
resawing which in my case will be most of the time. Does that sound right?
This is my first bandsaw so I want to save myself some goofs if I can.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Dick Snyder wrote:
I just picked up my bandsaw at the local trucking depot but have not
assembled it yet. I also ordered and have received the riser block kit. I
assume when I assemble the bandsaw and stand I should also put in the riser
block (i.e., it is always on the bandsaw) rather than installing it when I
have some resawing to do of bigger material and removing it when I am done.
That seems like it would be a big hassle. The only reason I can think of to
have it only only during resawing is if the riser block and longer saw blade
has some negative effect when I am using the saw for something other than
resawing which in my case will be most of the time. Does that sound right?
This is my first bandsaw so I want to save myself some goofs if I can.

AFAIAC(oncerned) this is not a Grizz-specific query/issue.

If you have the riser block coming, wait and assemble it once't and be
done--there's absolutely no reason to ever remove it.

I'd see no reason whatsoever to remove it unless it is so poorly
constructed the saw won't hold tension with it in place in which case it
won't be of any value, anyway (and I've heard nothing but good
GrizGreen; that's simply a general observation).

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb said:

Dick Snyder wrote:
[...]

Yup. And make sure you have the longer blade which is needed when
using the riser block.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote in message
dpb said:

Dick Snyder wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I already have the riser block and it does come with the longer
blade. Thanks for confirming my assumption that I should assemble it at the
same time as I assemble the band saw.

Dick

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:
I just picked up my bandsaw at the local trucking depot but have not
assembled it yet. I also ordered and have received the riser block kit. I
assume when I assemble the bandsaw and stand I should also put in the riser
block (i.e., it is always on the bandsaw) rather than installing it when I
have some resawing to do of bigger material and removing it when I am done.
That seems like it would be a big hassle. The only reason I can think of to
have it only only during resawing is if the riser block and longer saw blade
has some negative effect when I am using the saw for something other than
resawing which in my case will be most of the time. Does that sound right?
This is my first bandsaw so I want to save myself some goofs if I can.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

The riser block kit is not something that installs and removes quickly.
Just getting the wheels co-planer after assembly was a major pain,
especially since I was working alone and the alignment pins/holes were
slightly off. It's not something I would care to do more than once.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova said:

Dick Snyder wrote:
[...]

Ditto. Speaking of co-planer wheels, you might find this information
useful while assembling and adjusting your saw. It applys to just
about all common 14" bandsaws:

http://www.thevideodoc.com/pwoodw3.htm

Good Luck.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:06:15 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

Yup. And make sure you have the longer blade which is needed when
using the riser block.

Greg G.

Thanks. I already have the riser block and it does come with the longer
blade. Thanks for confirming my assumption that I should assemble it at the
same time as I assemble the band saw.

Plan on the blade that comes with it to be a piece of crap. Save
yourself some headaches wondering if something is wrong with your
setup and get a decent blade right away.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:

Thanks. I already have the riser block and it does come with the
longer blade.

Dump that blade and get a Woodslicer blade. You won't regret it.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...aw-blades.aspx

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:

Thanks. I already have the riser block and it does come with the
longer blade.

Dump that blade and get a Woodslicer blade. You won't regret it.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...aw-blades.aspx

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Thanks. That Woodslicer blade was already on my radar screen following a
woodworking show last winter. The guy also recommended Jet silicon steel
blades in general (not specifically for resawing). For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-709488-Sil.../dp/B0009H5DXI

Any experience with these?

Dick

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:

Thanks. I already have the riser block and it does come with the
longer blade.

Dump that blade and get a Woodslicer blade. You won't regret it.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...aw-blades.aspx

Thanks. That Woodslicer blade was already on my radar screen
following a woodworking show last winter. The guy also recommended
Jet silicon steel blades in general (not specifically for resawing).
For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Jet-709488-Sil.../dp/B0009H5DXI

Any experience with these?

No but I think 3/4" is too wide for the saw. TPI and tooth shape are
similar too IIRC.

The only other blade I have used of that ilk is the Timber Wolf...tried it
once, took it off, put it away, never used it again.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:

Thanks. I already have the riser block and it does come with the
longer blade.

Dump that blade and get a Woodslicer blade. You won't regret it.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...aw-blades.aspx

Thanks. That Woodslicer blade was already on my radar screen
following a woodworking show last winter. The guy also recommended
Jet silicon steel blades in general (not specifically for resawing).
For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Jet-709488-Sil.../dp/B0009H5DXI

Any experience with these?

No but I think 3/4" is too wide for the saw. TPI and tooth shape are
similar too IIRC.

The only other blade I have used of that ilk is the Timber Wolf...tried it
once, took it off, put it away, never used it again.

I've had mine since it was first released and have had no problems with the
riser. I also bought a 3/4" blade and a stronger tension spring but after a
few tries gave up on the 3/4.

I use a Timberwolf 1/2" blade for resawing and have had no problems at all.
I use an 1/8" blade for scrollwork and that also works like a charm.

It's a great saw but get good blades.

Can't speak to the newer machines but the early models had a very weak
tension spring. Got a replacement from an outfit in Florida - have drawn a
complete blank on the name - hopefully someone will chime in - but if you
need a replacement spring, that's the place to go.

Have fun!

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...snip...]
Thanks. I already have the riser block and it does come with the longer
blade. Thanks for confirming my assumption that I should assemble it at the
same time as I assemble the band saw.

Dick

[...snip...]
I have the same bandsaw and riser block. The blade shipped with the
riser block never did track correctly but I have had no problems with
other better quality blades.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 19, 3:47*pm, "Dick Snyder" wrote:
I just picked up my bandsaw at the local trucking depot but have not
assembled it yet. I also ordered and have received the riser block kit. I
assume when I assemble the bandsaw and stand I should also put in the riser
block (i.e., it is always on the bandsaw) rather than installing it when I
have some resawing to do of bigger material and removing it when I am done.
That seems like it would be a big hassle. The only reason I can think of to
have it only only during resawing is if the riser block and longer saw blade
has some negative effect when I am using the saw for something other than
resawing which in my case will be most of the time. Does that sound right?
This is my first bandsaw so I want to save myself some goofs if I can.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

OK, I'll throw in my 2 bits. Caught my eye because I just pulled my
G0555 out from the wall and did some cutting this afternoon. I got
mine shortly after they came out, went to Williamsport PA store for
it. Got the riser with it, but assembled w/o it just to see how it
acted, did fine! Then put on riser kit, and couldn't get the blade on!
Called Griz, we cussed and discussed it, they sent me another blade,
as the original was apparently about 1/2" too short. Replacement blade
worked just fine. I've done a little resawing of 10-11" stuff, worked
fine even with the Griz 3/4" blade, and didn't even have any
noticeable drift. I realize this was mostly dumb luck and a decent
machine from the git-go, as I didn't really do any setup on it. Now
that it's been sitting idle for about 3 yrs, it seems to have aquired
a tiny bit of drift, so I'm gonna have to check into it.

All in all, I've been perfectly happy with the saw, and left the riser
on it ever since I installed it.

Norm