Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Foredom/flexshaft tool recommendations?

I am a wood carver who has gotten arthritis pretty bad in the hands
and I want to get into power carving. Anyone have advice on tool
selection I know foredom makes a bunch of different handles for their
flexible shafts. I need to make my Birthday/Christmas lists. Was
wondering about vibration in the hand piece.

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tvfarmer" wrote:

I am a wood carver who has gotten arthritis pretty bad in the hands
and I want to get into power carving. Anyone have advice on tool
selection I know foredom makes a bunch of different handles for
their
flexible shafts. I need to make my Birthday/Christmas lists. Was
wondering about vibration in the hand piece.

A die grinder.

High RPM, low weight, lots of rotary burrs available to fit.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tvfarmer wrote:
I am a wood carver who has gotten arthritis pretty bad in the hands
and I want to get into power carving. Anyone have advice on tool
selection I know foredom makes a bunch of different handles for their
flexible shafts. I need to make my Birthday/Christmas lists. Was
wondering about vibration in the hand piece.

I've had a variety of electric devices of that kind. Compared to
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47869,
they're all crap.

Needs 2 SCFM at 90 PSI--that's not a huge compressor at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tvfarmer wrote:
I am a wood carver who has gotten arthritis pretty bad in the hands
and I want to get into power carving. Anyone have advice on tool
selection I know foredom makes a bunch of different handles for their
flexible shafts. I need to make my Birthday/Christmas lists. Was
wondering about vibration in the hand piece.

Thanks

I got this kit for Christmas a couple of years ago and have really
liked it. It has two handles for the flex shaft: one rotary tool
holder (no wrench required) and a reciprocating tool shaft. The shapes
of tools included are limited but I use it often. It does vibrate but
it works well. I also have a Ryobi dedicated reciprocating carving
tool which is larger and does not vibrate as much.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...rving-Kit.aspx

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Preserve Bacteria.. Its the only
culture some people have.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Foredom has a 1/3 HP (important for torque and anti-stall) -

They also have carving knives that attach to the rotating flex shaft.

So you can gouge and carve and shave and grind....

Martin

Tvfarmer wrote:
I am a wood carver who has gotten arthritis pretty bad in the hands
and I want to get into power carving. Anyone have advice on tool
selection I know foredom makes a bunch of different handles for their
flexible shafts. I need to make my Birthday/Christmas lists. Was
wondering about vibration in the hand piece.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-11-11, Gerald Ross wrote:
Tvfarmer wrote:
I am a wood carver who has gotten arthritis pretty bad in the hands
and I want to get into power carving. Anyone have advice on tool
selection I know foredom makes a bunch of different handles for their
flexible shafts. I need to make my Birthday/Christmas lists. Was
wondering about vibration in the hand piece.

Thanks

I got this kit for Christmas a couple of years ago and have really
liked it. It has two handles for the flex shaft: one rotary tool
holder (no wrench required) and a reciprocating tool shaft. The shapes
of tools included are limited but I use it often. It does vibrate but
it works well. I also have a Ryobi dedicated reciprocating carving
tool which is larger and does not vibrate as much.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...rving-Kit.aspx

I have this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2005...arver-Kit.aspx

Been happy with it, I would have purchased a Foredom from USA (I live in
Finland) but shipping expenses and duties turned me to Wecheer (got it from
England).

Here is their web site:
http://www.wecheer.com/

I use Proxxon rotary tool much more than this flex shaft.
http://www.sell-it-easy.de/wbc.php?s...pid=4033&rid=8
USA models are availlable too.

seismo malm
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am a wood carver who has gotten arthritis pretty bad in the hands
and I want to get into power carving. Anyone have advice on tool
selection I know foredom makes a bunch of different handles for their
flexible shafts. I need to make my Birthday/Christmas lists. Was
wondering about vibration in the hand piece.
Thanks
Tvfarmer

I use my Dremel with and without a flexshaft. I've got the newer drill
press station which comes with the hanger. I've got all types of
attachments, some Dremel and some other brands. They all work fine.
Matter of fact I'll be going to the "Artistry in Wood" show this
weekend in Ohio and intend to pick up a few more attachments.

Artistry in Wood ...
http://www.daytoncarvers.com/artistryinwood.html

`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 12, 10:09*am, Casper wrote:
I am a wood carver who has gotten arthritis pretty bad in the hands
and I want to get into power carving. Anyone have advice on tool
selection I know foredom makes a bunch of different handles for their
flexible shafts. I need to make my Birthday/Christmas lists. * Was
wondering about vibration in the hand piece.
Thanks
Tvfarmer

I use my Dremel with and without a flexshaft. I've got the newer drill
press station which comes with the hanger. I've got all types of
attachments, some Dremel and some other brands. They all work fine.
Matter of fact I'll be going to the "Artistry in Wood" show this
weekend in Ohio and intend to pick up a few more attachments.

Artistry in Wood ...http://www.daytoncarvers.com/artistryinwood.html

`Casper

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Sorry for not getting back to this sooner contractors at the house
and launching my wife's new site (http://www.babypop.com/) shameless
plug I have been swamped. Thanks for all the suggestions I currently
have one of the older sears rotozip knock offs with the flex shaft and
it dosen't have the torque or speed control I was looking for. I also
have the ryobi power carver, that I bought years ago but now will have
to dust off. I am going to stay away from the die grinder the price is
right but it is awkward to hold (for me) and I don't want the
compressor running.

I can't quite make a fist with either hand and do not have a lot of
grip. Trying to get use to not being able to trust my hands and I am
just turning 40 next month so this is sort of an adjustment.
Jeff