Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shellac flake shelf life

I want to finish a recent project using orange shellac, dissolved at
home. Purchasing flakes locally is somewhat expensive (the cost, gas,
time), about $25 for a pound at Woodcraft. Alternatively, I could buy
5 pounds of top-quality flakes online for $100 and have a supply, but
that may take 10 years or so to use. Has anyone used old dewaxed
flakes without any issues? If so, how did you store the flakes? In
a refrigerated glass jar?
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Phisherman wrote:
I want to finish a recent project using orange shellac, dissolved at
home. Purchasing flakes locally is somewhat expensive (the cost, gas,
time), about $25 for a pound at Woodcraft. Alternatively, I could buy
5 pounds of top-quality flakes online for $100 and have a supply, but
that may take 10 years or so to use. Has anyone used old dewaxed
flakes without any issues? If so, how did you store the flakes? In
a refrigerated glass jar?

http://books.google.com/books?id=RJun1eW3kigC&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=shellac+ shelf+life+storage&source=bl&ots=2YzTlbp0Hw&sig=CZ 0-nWfWKgeGIMZcFByuIbbJfIg&hl=en&ei=Eqr1StuKA43eNaiSo OkF&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CB 0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=shellac%20shelf%20life%20stor age&f=false

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I want to finish a recent project using orange shellac, dissolved at
home. Purchasing flakes locally is somewhat expensive (the cost, gas,
time), about $25 for a pound at Woodcraft. Alternatively, I could buy
5 pounds of top-quality flakes online for $100 and have a supply, but
that may take 10 years or so to use. Has anyone used old dewaxed
flakes without any issues? If so, how did you store the flakes? In
a refrigerated glass jar?

I have heard that unmixed you should not have over a 1 year supply and of
course don't mix more than you can use ina relatively short period of time.

I think I would give up the 25% savings and go with what you need right now.
If any of the 5 #'s goes bad, you likely will be in the hole.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's an excerpt from an article on shellac by Jeff Jewitt. He, by the
way, sells finishing supplies (Homestead Finishing Products) and most of
the time I've called to order something, Jeff answers the phone and will
give you advice. He sells high quality shellac by the pound.. I like
buying the dry stuff because you can mix up just the amount you need and
save the rest without it going bad for a long time..
http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/index.html

"Dry shellac flakes store indefinitely under proper conditions, but contrary
to what you may hear, it won't store forever. Given enough time, especially
under hot, wet conditions, dry shellac reacts with itself to form polymers
that are insoluble in alcohol. Shellacs that have been dewaxed are more
prone to this. You can extend the usable life of dry shellac flakes by
storing them after purchase in a cool, dry area -- a refrigerator is best. A
test for suspected old shellac is easy -- simply dissolve the flakes in
alcohol. Most shellacs should be totally dissolved within three days. If you
see a gelatinous mass after this time, the shellac is past its usable life
and should be discarded (don't confuse natural wax with this). If you just
purchased it, return it to the company you bought it from. Sometimes in
summer months, shellac will cake together. This is known in the industry as
"blocking" and is not a sign of bad shellac. Break up the shellac with a
hammer and dissolve it in alcohol as usual."

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I want to finish a recent project using orange shellac, dissolved at
home. Purchasing flakes locally is somewhat expensive (the cost, gas,
time), about $25 for a pound at Woodcraft. Alternatively, I could buy
5 pounds of top-quality flakes online for $100 and have a supply, but
that may take 10 years or so to use. Has anyone used old dewaxed
flakes without any issues? If so, how did you store the flakes? In
a refrigerated glass jar?

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in
:

*trim*

http://books.google.com/books?id=RJu...g=PA72&dq=shel
lac+shelf+life+storage&source=bl&ots=2YzTlbp0Hw&si g=CZ0-nWfWKgeGIMZcFBy
uIbbJfIg&hl=en&ei=Eqr1StuKA43eNaiSoOkF&sa=X&oi=boo k_result&ct=result&re
snum=7&ved=0CB0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=shellac%20shelf %20life%20storage&f=f
alse

You store your flakes in an electronic book?

Puckdropper
--
Maybe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 10:49:41 -0500, Phisherman
wrote:

I want to finish a recent project using orange shellac, dissolved at
home. Purchasing flakes locally is somewhat expensive (the cost, gas,
time), about $25 for a pound at Woodcraft. Alternatively, I could buy
5 pounds of top-quality flakes online for $100 and have a supply, but
that may take 10 years or so to use. Has anyone used old dewaxed
flakes without any issues? If so, how did you store the flakes? In
a refrigerated glass jar?

http://www.shellacshack.com/purchase...ac-flakes.html

http://www.shellac.net/ShellacPricing.html

Maybe one of these sources is a better option? Shipping will be sort
of expensive but there's less time and no gas expense.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I want to finish a recent project using orange shellac, dissolved at
home. Purchasing flakes locally is somewhat expensive (the cost, gas,
time), about $25 for a pound at Woodcraft. Alternatively, I could buy
5 pounds of top-quality flakes online for $100 and have a supply, but
that may take 10 years or so to use. Has anyone used old dewaxed
flakes without any issues? If so, how did you store the flakes? In
a refrigerated glass jar?

Why bother with flakes? Get the stuff in a can pre mixed. You can
cut it with alcohol too and has a 3 year shelf life.

There is a video by the "Wood Whisperer" at his web site that explains
how to use it, cut it, etc.

Otoe
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote in
:

I want to finish a recent project using orange shellac, dissolved at
home. Purchasing flakes locally is somewhat expensive (the cost, gas,
time), about $25 for a pound at Woodcraft. Alternatively, I could buy
5 pounds of top-quality flakes online for $100 and have a supply, but
that may take 10 years or so to use. Has anyone used old dewaxed
flakes without any issues? If so, how did you store the flakes? In
a refrigerated glass jar?

I keep my stash wrapped up tight in plastic storage bags in a cardboard
box. I don't know how many years I've had the flakes now, and they
dissolve just as well as they did when new. Keep them dry and away from
heat, and they should last forever.

The difference in quality between making up your own shellac from flakes
and buying the pre-mixed stuff is worth the effort and expense. Think
hand-crafted microbrew vs. warm Miller Lite from a can. It is my favorite
finish - quick drying, forgiving, and beautiful.

Scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 00:15:08 -0500, Otoe wrote:

Why bother with flakes? Get the stuff in a can pre mixed. You can cut
it with alcohol too and has a 3 year shelf life.

There is one difference. The flakes are non-toxic when the alcohol has
evaporated - or before if you use Everclear :-). The Zinsser stuff has
an additive that apparently does make it toxic, although that may or may
not be true after it dries..

For most stuff it doesn't make any difference, but for childrens toys or
stuff that might come into contact with food, I prefer the flakes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You could ask O'Deen when his birthday was.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Where the heck to buy shellac flake Glenn de Souza Woodworking 26 July 27th 15 03:24 PM
Emulsion shelf life? Rob[_10_] UK diy 8 April 8th 08 08:21 AM
BLO Shelf Life Russ Stanton Woodworking 2 January 9th 07 02:34 PM
Shelf life of plaster Dan_Musicant Home Repair 29 September 11th 06 08:56 PM
shellac flake storage? Silvan Woodworking 5 December 13th 04 09:22 PM