Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Installing T1-11 siding

Question for y'all. I'm building a small, 8' x 12' shed so that I can
get more room in my workshop. The shed will house camping gear, bikes,
paint, etc. The detached workshop is maybe 50-60 years old and has
redwood shiplap siding painted same color as house, which had redwood
lap siding that I replaced with fibercement lap siding about two years
ago when we added on to the house. I like the look and durability of
the fibercement but it is time consuming to install and is dusty to
cut. So instead of going with the Hardieplank for the new shed to
match the house I'm thinking of using T1-11 sheet siding for the shed
to save on labor time. My question is- would there be any issues with
installing the sheets in a horizontal direction so that it comes close
to the look of the shiplap on the original shed? I would use z-
flashing on horizontal seams and caulk vertical seams that would break
at studs which are 24" oc. I've only ever seen the t1-11 installed
with the grooves running vertically. Thanks for your input.
Posted to rec.woodworking

dale martin wrote:
Leon- not familiar with the nippers drill attachment can
you explain? The last time I used a diamond tipped masonry blade in my
circular saw. I know they make special shears for cutting the
fibercement product but the size of my project won't justify the cost
of such a tool. Thanks again.

Check the rental price.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dale martin" wrote in message
On Nov 3, 9:39 am, "Leon" wrote:
Snip

..

The horizontal grooves retaining moisture is obviously not something
that I had thought about, probably the reason I've never seen t1-11
installed this way- duh. Looks like I will be placing an order for
some Hardieplank. I have to say I am very happy with the way it looks
on the house. Leon- not familiar with the nippers drill attachment can
you explain? The last time I used a diamond tipped masonry blade in my
circular saw. I know they make special shears for cutting the
fibercement product but the size of my project won't justify the cost
of such a tool. Thanks again.

Google search , fiber cement shears

or

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers