Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A thoughtful statement on WW

On page 12 of the "Tools & Shops Annual Issue" (Winter 2009), published by
FWW, there is a letter from Peter Corn, Executive Director For Furniture
Craftsmanship, he observes that interest in woodworking has not waned during
the recent recession, he writes:

....I'm sure this comes as no surprise to the authors and readers of FWW.
With the promise of Wall Street tarnished, the enduring satisfaction one can
discover in the workshop seems to glow brighter. Woodworking exercises a
person's full capacities--hands, heart, and head--in a holistic way that is
both enjoyable and empowering. Instead of buying happiness, you learn to
make it. Instead of acommodating a world built by others, you learn to
construct your own. Craft has long been a road less traveled. Yet there is
much to be said for meaningful, self-expressive work in today's world;
whether one does it as a hobby or a profession.

Although everyone reading this has found there own individual route to this
forum, I thought that most of the people here could probably identify with
this statement and that some might enjoy it.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Sat 31 Oct 2009 06:24:49p, "Bill" wrote in
:

On page 12 of the "Tools & Shops Annual Issue" (Winter 2009),
published by FWW, there is a letter from Peter Corn, Executive
Director For Furniture Craftsmanship, he observes that interest in
woodworking has not waned during the recent recession...

Bill

My interest certainly hasn't waned and I believe Peter when he says he
hasn't seen it, but I have definitely noticed an increase in the amount of
woodworking equipment I've seen on craigslist.

Some of it looks like contractors sizing down and some looks like hobbyists
who bought themselves a whole shop but never got started and are finally
admitting they need the money more than their pride but whatever the reason
there's been an increase. It's helped me realize my shop is more complete
than I'd realized. The prices are decent (another change) but usually I've
already got one, whatever it is.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Dan wrote:
On Sat 31 Oct 2009 06:24:49p, "Bill" wrote in
:

On page 12 of the "Tools & Shops Annual Issue" (Winter 2009),
published by FWW, there is a letter from Peter Corn, Executive
Director For Furniture Craftsmanship, he observes that interest in
woodworking has not waned during the recent recession...

My interest certainly hasn't waned and I believe Peter when he says he
hasn't seen it, but I have definitely noticed an increase in the amount of
woodworking equipment I've seen on craigslist.

I interpreted the letter as reflecting them seeing interest in their
courses and training. It seemed quite natural to me; community college
and other tech school attendance is up nation-wide as it always is
during periods where it is more difficult to find good-paying jobs
straight out of high school or where those who are just out a couple of
years are the ones laid off and now realize they should've had some
training. The local CC academic course enrollment was up by 15%; the
associated tech school by almost 60% this fall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb: wrote:

I interpreted the letter as reflecting them seeing interest in their
courses and training. It seemed quite natural to me; community college
and other tech school attendance is up nation-wide as it always is during
periods where it is more difficult to find good-paying jobs straight out
of high school or where those who are just out a couple of years are the
ones laid off and now realize they should've had some training. The local
CC academic course enrollment was up by 15%; the associated tech school by
almost 60% this fall.

What you said may be perfectly true, but the letter expressed a point that
may be worth repeating, it said:

"Woodworking exercises a
person's full capacities--hands, heart, and head--in a holistic way that is
both enjoyable and empowering. Instead of buying happiness, you learn to
make it. Instead of acommodating a world built by others, you learn to
construct your own.".

We all showed up at this forum for our own reasons, but those remarks
help me understand how I got here. I'm here for reasons which have
little to do with my livelihood. Financially, I'd probaby be better off if
I just
played my guitar and avoided TAS ("Tool Acquisition Syndrome"). Although
admittedly, the related malady GAS ("Guitar Acquisition Syndrome"), has
been the ruin of many a poor boy (...and God, I know I'm one.)--LOL.

My wife recently came down with BAS ("Bass Acquisition Syndrome")--that's
not a pretty sight either... she'll pick it up tomorrow. Of course, you
don't pick
a bass, but you know what I mean...

Make a joyful noise, but keep your mouth closed when you're using your TS.
; )

Cheers,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Bill wrote:
dpb: wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm a pretty straightahead kinda' guy--I do woodworking to
basically make stuff I either want or need w/o worrying too much about
the "why's"... I suppose that's reflected in being engineer and
farmer, not "artiste"...

Not that I don't like pretty stuff, but don't go out of way to place
"interpretations" into it--iff'en I think it looks good, that's good
enough. I'm one of those who had a difficult time trying to write much
more in American Lit about Moby and Ahab other than it was "a whale of a
fish story".

I guess if there's some "deeper meaning" for somebody and any/all of
their students, power to 'em...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:21:20 -0600, dpb wrote:

Bill wrote:
dpb: wrote:

[...]

No farmer here, engineer from an engineering family (father was an EE
prof, three of us are EEs and the weird one a veterinarian .

Not that I don't like pretty stuff, but don't go out of way to place
"interpretations" into it--iff'en I think it looks good, that's good
enough.

Yep. Our Amish built cherry dining and bedrooms were beautiful so I
bought 'em. ;-)

I'm one of those who had a difficult time trying to write much
more in American Lit about Moby and Ahab other than it was "a whale of a
fish story".

I guess if there's some "deeper meaning" for somebody and any/all of
their students, power to 'em...

"So the fish took the bait. Next story." Sounds familiar to me. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

dpb: wrote:

[...]

Fresh water or salt?