Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default A thoughtful statement on WW

Dan wrote:
On Sat 31 Oct 2009 06:24:49p, "Bill" wrote in
:

On page 12 of the "Tools & Shops Annual Issue" (Winter 2009),
published by FWW, there is a letter from Peter Corn, Executive
Director For Furniture Craftsmanship, he observes that interest in
woodworking has not waned during the recent recession...

My interest certainly hasn't waned and I believe Peter when he says he
hasn't seen it, but I have definitely noticed an increase in the amount of
woodworking equipment I've seen on craigslist.

I interpreted the letter as reflecting them seeing interest in their
courses and training. It seemed quite natural to me; community college
and other tech school attendance is up nation-wide as it always is
during periods where it is more difficult to find good-paying jobs
straight out of high school or where those who are just out a couple of
years are the ones laid off and now realize they should've had some
training. The local CC academic course enrollment was up by 15%; the
associated tech school by almost 60% this fall.