Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Emerson close-out at Harbor Freight?

I have several of the Emerson clamp-on cutting guides in various lengths,
I've found them easy to use and of high quality and they've done good work
for me guiding circular saws and routers. At a local Harbor Freight today I
noticed there were no more Emerson guides on display, but the clearance
section had two 36" versions still new in the box priced at $4.97.
Considering these things formerly sold for around thirty bucks that strikes
me as a good deal--I grabbed them both. I think I'll visit the other nearby
locations to see if they have additional lengths still in stock, at that
price even SWMBO approved. So if you think you could use a cutting guide
and there is a HF in your area it might be worth giving them a call....

Posted to rec.woodworking

DGDevin wrote:
I have several of the Emerson clamp-on cutting guides in various lengths,
I've found them easy to use and of high quality and they've done good work
for me guiding circular saws and routers. At a local Harbor Freight today I
noticed there were no more Emerson guides on display, but the clearance
section had two 36" versions still new in the box priced at $4.97.
Considering these things formerly sold for around thirty bucks that strikes
me as a good deal--I grabbed them both. I think I'll visit the other nearby
locations to see if they have additional lengths still in stock, at that
price even SWMBO approved. So if you think you could use a cutting guide
and there is a HF in your area it might be worth giving them a call....

I bought two of those from Woodcraft and had to return them.
It might have been a bad lot, I don't know.

The problem was that they seemed to develop a "memory" at the location
at which I had to repeatedly clamp several times.

I was cutting plywood and clamping at 48", repeatedly. It seemed like the
clamp was digging it a little to the metal rod. And with each successive
clamping, it would slip back a tiny bit. After several clampings, it
would not hold at the same distance any longer.

So to whoever might buy those, just keep that in mind and check it out
before the return time is expired.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
DGDevin wrote:
[...]

It could be that clamping the jaws in place extra-tight causes that, I
managed to make those marks on the rod one time but without it leading to
problems. Once I eased-up on how tight I was trying to set the jaws in
place before flipping the lever the guides have worked fine (for over a
year). My guess is if you have to really lean on that lever to lock the
jaws then the jaws are a bit too tight. My impression is that like many
tools there is a sweet spot, and once you figure it out it becomes
second-nature.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DGDevin wrote:
It could be that clamping the jaws in place extra-tight causes that, I
managed to make those marks on the rod one time but without it leading to
problems. Once I eased-up on how tight I was trying to set the jaws in
place before flipping the lever the guides have worked fine (for over a
year). My guess is if you have to really lean on that lever to lock the
jaws then the jaws are a bit too tight. My impression is that like many
tools there is a sweet spot, and once you figure it out it becomes
second-nature.

LOL

Right before I hit send on that post, I almost typed, "and no, I wasn't
clamping too tightly." :-)

When it happened on the first clamp I bought, I took it back and
discussed it with Woodcraft. We came to the conclusion that I should try
just pushing the lever to the first position (there are two).

On the new clamp, I did that and got the same results.

Like I said, it may have been a bad lot or something.
I just wanted to warn people to check it out before the return time is up.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Off to Harbor Freight [email protected] Woodworking 19 April 4th 09 10:17 PM
Harbor Freight DMM Jim Yanik Home Repair 5 June 5th 06 03:09 PM
Harbor Freight tmurf.1 Home Repair 30 May 26th 06 07:31 PM
Harbor Freight DC Jimmy Woodworking 12 November 18th 05 05:11 PM
More on Harbor Freight DC mac davis Woodworking 11 November 22nd 04 08:20 PM