Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default How to make quarter rounds and to make a diagonal cut with common tools?

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't I say "If he mounts it off-center"? g

You're overlooking the fact that it's intrinsically impossible to
mount it at
a corner... A quarter- or half-inch inboard of the corner, I'll buy,
but that
would leave a radius of less than 3".

Afix 3"x6" or thereabouts boards to ends of 3x3. Mount on lathe at
board centers.

And make sure you're not standing in front of it when you turn the
lathe on, 'cause it's coming off.

Your cup is always half empty, isn't it?

The lathe could be run *very* slowly or - as explained by others -
counterweighted. It need not be run at all if one mounted a router so it
could be slid along the length of the stock, the stock being rotated
manually after each pass. And - anticipating your next objection - yes, the
stock would need to be held rigidly while routing.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 8:54*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't I say "If he mounts it off-center"? g

You're overlooking the fact that it's intrinsically impossible to
mount it at
a corner... A quarter- or half-inch inboard of the corner, I'll buy,
but that
would leave a radius of less than 3".

Afix 3"x6" or thereabouts boards to ends of 3x3. *Mount on lathe at
board centers.

And make sure you're not standing in front of it when you turn the
lathe on, 'cause it's coming off.

Your cup is always half empty, isn't it?

I think the cup has a crack in it.

The lathe could be run *very* slowly or - as explained by others -
counterweighted. *It need not be run at all if one mounted a router so it
could be slid along the length of the stock, the stock being rotated
manually after each pass. *And - anticipating your next objection - yes, the
stock would need to be held rigidly while routing.

In most ways the router would be the safest and provide the smoothest
result without handwork. The OP mentioned a tablesaw and bandsaw, and
that's what people limited their replies to. It would seem odd to me
if the OP had those tools and not a router.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

The vibration from being so far off balance would tear it off those
blocks in a heartbeat.

Just stick 4 of them together to make a 6x6 block and turn that, then
separate

Easy-peasy, nothing out of balance, you produce four at a time and all
exactly the same radius.

Looks like something isn't right with the clock on your system. Your
posts are coming in with a time stamp of an hour older than when you
posted them.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
Steve Turner wrote:
Looks like something isn't right with the clock on your system. Your
posts are coming in with a time stamp of an hour older than when you
posted them.

Possibly. I seem to recall this happening once before when we had the
clock change but I can't remember what the fix was.

The clock on screen is displaying the time correctly.

Well in that case it was a Windows machine exhibiting a bug in its
handling of the automatic adjustment for daylight savings time. It
doesn't look like you're running Windows to me, so it's probably a
different issue.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

This is how I would try - caveat emptor!

First, drill a hole in the exact center of the 3x3 at both ends.
Scribe a circle around the center, and remove as much waste as you can
with the bandsaw. Build a support so that the wood sits like a
barbecue spit, suspended from the centers. Mount over a router table,
take very fine passes, spinning the wood....

shelly

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

This is how I would try - caveat emptor!

First, drill a hole in the exact center of the 3x3 at both ends.
Scribe a circle around the center, and remove as much waste as you
can
with the bandsaw. Build a support so that the wood sits like a
barbecue spit, suspended from the centers. Mount over a router
table,
take very fine passes, spinning the wood....

Which is how the Sears Router-Crafter operates.

BTW, no need for bandsaw.

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Nov 9, 11:41*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
wrote:
This is how I would try - caveat emptor!

First, drill a hole in the exact center of the 3x3 at both ends.
Scribe a circle around the center, and remove as much waste as you
can
with the bandsaw. Build a support so that the wood sits like a
barbecue spit, suspended from the centers. Mount over a router
table,
take very fine passes, spinning the wood....

Which is how the Sears Router-Crafter operates.

BTW, no need for bandsaw.

Lew

Knew it!!! Too late for a patent, right?

just thought the bandsaw would be easier

shelly
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Which is how the Sears Router-Crafter operates.

BTW, no need for bandsaw.

Lew

Knew it!!! Too late for a patent, right?

I don't think it is even sold any more, at least new, maybe used on
eBay.

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

This is how I would try - caveat emptor!

First, drill a hole in the exact center of the 3x3 at both ends.
Scribe a circle around the center, and remove as much waste as you
can
with the bandsaw. Build a support so that the wood sits like a
barbecue spit, suspended from the centers. Mount over a router
table,
take very fine passes, spinning the wood....

Which is how the Sears Router-Crafter operates.

If you can find one with all the pieces in good working order. Sears dumped
it a while back. Trend in the UK doesn't have it anymore. The Canwood is
gone. Entry level for such a device now appears to be a Legacy Ornamental
Mill for 1500 bucks and up. I understand that Router Magic
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...p_product#noop has a
chapter detailing how to make such a thing from bicycle parts. I've seen a
site with plans for one but can't find it again.