Posted to rec.woodworking

Default "Molding Profiler" -- what's it called?

This tool consists of about 200 thin steel "wires" all in a row.
You press it against a convex surface, and the wires move and leave you
with a way to sketch the contour. My dad had one of these and now I need
one.
What is this tool called?

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
This tool consists of about 200 thin steel "wires" all in a row.
You press it against a convex surface, and the wires move and leave you
with a way to sketch the contour. My dad had one of these and now I need
one.
What is this tool called?

Thanks,
Bill

Try searching for either a contour gauge or a profile gauge.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42936,42958

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42936,42958

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...8&cookietest=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00... IN=B00004T7RA
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dan Coby" wrote in message
m...
Bill wrote:
This tool consists of about 200 thin steel "wires" all in a row.
You press it against a convex surface, and the wires move and leave you
with a way to sketch the contour. My dad had one of these and now I need
one.
What is this tool called?

Thanks,
Bill

Try searching for either a contour gauge or a profile gauge.

Thank you very much!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

This tool consists of about 200 thin steel "wires" all in a row.
You press it against a convex surface, and the wires move and leave
you
with a way to sketch the contour. My dad had one of these and now I
need one.
What is this tool called?

Thanks,
Bill

Lowe's sells one, not all that good a quality
but might be usable for most things.

basilisk
--
http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

This tool consists of about 200 thin steel "wires" all in a row.
You press it against a convex surface, and the wires move and leave
you
with a way to sketch the contour. My dad had one of these and now I
need one.
What is this tool called?

Thanks,
Bill

Lowe's sells one, not all that good a quality
but might be usable for most things.

basilisk
--

I was actually thinking of buying the one at Lowes (Item #14154, Model
837 -- $6.96).

Bill