Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bestest Handsander

Default Vacuum Clamp built into workbench?

I finally got my vacuum bag system set up (mucho thanks to
joewoodworker.com). I've done some veneering, and now I'm thinking about
making a vacuum clamp.

I had the thought that I could drill a hold through my solid maple bench top
and thread an NTP male quick release onto the bottom. Then take a piece of
MDF and drill a hole though it. Put some neoprene tape along the edges on
both sides. Then whenever I want to vacuum clamp something, I'd blow out
the hole to clear any dust/debris that might have collected, attached the
vacuum pump, put the MDF over the hole, and the piece to be sanded/routed on
top of the MDF. Then turn the pump on (the pump is 3cfm continuous duty
rated).

Am I missing something? Ideally I'd have a foot switch to release the
vacuum pressure, but as far as I can tell it should work. Thoughts?