Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Does wood glue (in bottle) die with age?

Sorry for what's certainly unimportant, but I have a bottle of Elmer's
Wood Glue (which I've heard is roughly equivalent to Tite Bond and is
more or less a good product----please advise) which is over 20 years
old. Is it likely still any good (in bottle and behaves perfectly
fine). It has not separated, nor changed consistency.

Thanks! Sorry if this is a WOT.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Here is the Titebond answer on shelf life

http://www.titebond.com/FaqTB.asp

It seems they are saying as long as it is liquid. I especially like
this statement

"Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II
turns into an orange colored gel, these changes signify that the glue
is no longer usable."

On Aug 31, 12:28*pm, "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
Sorry for what's certainly unimportant, but I have a bottle of Elmer's
Wood Glue (which I've heard is roughly equivalent to Tite Bond and is
more or less a good product----please advise) which is over 20 years
old. *Is it likely still any good (in bottle and behaves perfectly
fine). *It has not separated, nor changed consistency.

Thanks! *Sorry if this is a WOT.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
Sorry for what's certainly unimportant, but I have a bottle of Elmer's
Wood Glue (which I've heard is roughly equivalent to Tite Bond and is
more or less a good product----please advise) which is over 20 years
old. Is it likely still any good (in bottle and behaves perfectly
fine). It has not separated, nor changed consistency.

Thanks! Sorry if this is a WOT.

Estimates for storage life vary from one year on up with most "experts"
going for 2 years or so. Note the use of "experts" and "or so". My
feeling is that if it's over a couple years old and you really care
about your project, use a crowbar on your wallet and spend a few bucks
for a new bottle.
:-)
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

A 20 yr old (vintage) bottle of Elmer's Glue? That should fetch a
pretty good price on E-Bay.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 31, 5:53*pm, Sonny wrote:
A 20 yr old (vintage) bottle of Elmer's Glue? *That should fetch a
pretty good price on E-Bay.

Sonny

But do you serve it with red meat or seafood?

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

RonB wrote:
On Aug 31, 5:53 pm, Sonny wrote:
A 20 yr old (vintage) bottle of Elmer's Glue? That should fetch a
pretty good price on E-Bay.

Sonny

But do you serve it with red meat or seafood?

It's white; obviously not w/ red meat...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 31, 5:09*pm, jo4hn wrote:

*My feeling is that if it's over a couple years old and you really care
about your project, use a crowbar on your wallet and spend a few bucks
for a new bottle.

Wow... no kidding. After 20 years even I wouldn't use it.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote in message

Sorry for what's certainly unimportant, but I have a bottle of Elmer's
Wood Glue (which I've heard is roughly equivalent to Tite Bond and is
more or less a good product----please advise) which is over 20 years
old. Is it likely still any good (in bottle and behaves perfectly
fine). It has not separated, nor changed consistency.

Thanks! Sorry if this is a WOT.

If you moved a counter top appliance in your kitchen, one that does not get
used much, the one that you thought would be cool to have but never actually
use, and uncovered an old tooth pick, would you use it or throw it away?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:28:17 -0700 (PDT), "Thomas G. Marshall"
wrote:

Sorry for what's certainly unimportant, but I have a bottle of Elmer's
Wood Glue (which I've heard is roughly equivalent to Tite Bond and is
more or less a good product----please advise) which is over 20 years
old. Is it likely still any good (in bottle and behaves perfectly
fine). It has not separated, nor changed consistency.

I don't know if the glue will be good after 20 years but the bottle
might not be. I had a plastic quart bottle of Elmer's yellow in the
garage for about 5 years and the glue seemed okay so I was going to
try some on a small project. I was pouring some glue into a smaller
container and dropped the quart bottle on the concrete floor. The
plastic had turned brittle and just shattered. I instantly had glue
everywhere.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I don't know if the glue will be good after 20 years but the bottle
might not be. I had a plastic quart bottle of Elmer's yellow in the
garage for about 5 years and the glue seemed okay so I was going to
try some on a small project. I was pouring some glue into a smaller
container and dropped the quart bottle on the concrete floor. The
plastic had turned brittle and just shattered. I instantly had glue
everywhere.

Look on the bright side? :~) It hit the floor. Several months ago I
dropped a quart can of gel varnish on top of my Delta Moriser. I had that
crap all over the place too. I had to take the fan cover and fan off to get
the gel out. And then wipe down every square inch of the mortiser with
thinner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Sorry for what's certainly unimportant, but I have a bottle of Elmer's
Wood Glue (which I've heard is roughly equivalent to Tite Bond and is
more or less a good product----please advise) which is over 20 years
old. Is it likely still any good (in bottle and behaves perfectly
fine). It has not separated, nor changed consistency.

Thanks! Sorry if this is a WOT.

I use Elmer's Carpenters Wood glue. It does have a shelf life. Glue
20 years old probably would not be used on any furniture. Buy some
fresh glue, and try not to buy a larger amount than you can use in a
year or two. Keep cool, keep from freezing.

Maybe you can use the old glue to make some Silly Putty?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Silly-Putty
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 20:09:47 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

Look on the bright side? :~) It hit the floor. Several months ago I
dropped a quart can of gel varnish on top of my Delta Moriser. I had that
crap all over the place too. I had to take the fan cover and fan off to get
the gel out. And then wipe down every square inch of the mortiser with
thinner.

Look on the bright side, a while ago I dropped my bit set for my Akeda
dovetail jig. Picture 7 router bits sticking up from a little plastic
holder.

But I caught it.

But it was top heavy....

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Sorry for what's certainly unimportant, but I have a bottle of Elmer's
Wood Glue (which I've heard is roughly equivalent to Tite Bond and is
more or less a good product----please advise) which is over 20 years
old. *Is it likely still any good (in bottle and behaves perfectly
fine). *It has not separated, nor changed consistency.

Thanks! *Sorry if this is a WOT.

I use Elmer's Carpenters Wood glue. *It does have a shelf life. *Glue
20 years old probably would not be used on any furniture. *Buy some
fresh glue, and try not to buy a larger amount than you can use in a
year or two. *Keep cool, keep from freezing. *

Maybe you can use the old glue to make some Silly Putty?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Silly-Putty

I'm half tempted to notify the company: they probably could use it for
some testimonial.

Ok, ok. I'm beaten down----I'm giving up. I'll buy more. LOL...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
Sorry for what's certainly unimportant, but I have a bottle of Elmer's
Wood Glue (which I've heard is roughly equivalent to Tite Bond and is
more or less a good product----please advise) which is over 20 years
old. Is it likely still any good (in bottle and behaves perfectly
fine). It has not separated, nor changed consistency.

I've always used Elmer's wood glue, it is a good product. More
important, I have a container of it that is at LEAST 20 years old and it
works fine. It has thickened a bit but it's still yellow, just a little
hard to get out of the bottle. Because of this, I bought a new bottle
of the stuff because I never throw anything away... Still, I never had
any glue joint fail using the old stuff.

Thanks! Sorry if this is a WOT.

If by WOT, you mean Way Off Topic, it is, but only if you think this is
a political only group.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Love your reply. Dead nuts right on. How many cents are we talking
about?
Posted to rec.woodworking

burtwitlin wrote:
Love your reply. Dead nuts right on. How many cents are we talking
about?

To some who must utilize every thing cents does not make a difference
but how much is left. Is the bottle empty?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
burtwitlin wrote:
Love your reply. Dead nuts right on. How many cents are we talking
about?

To some who must utilize every thing cents does not make a difference
but how much is left. Is the bottle empty?

Dang, I had to parse that about three times before it made cents (sic).

Geez, how much patience do you have anyway?

I have a question: When are glue manufacturers going to take a cue from
those few shampoo companies that make the upside-down bottles with flat
"tops"? I don't even buy shampoo any more if it doesn't have that
feature. I mean, how many hours of our lives have we wasted waiting for
some gelatinous crap to come oozing out of those danged ol' "right-side
up" bottles anyways?!*

* (have I ever mentioned that "anyways" is always plural here in Texas?)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
Geez, how much patience do you have anyway?

I have a question: When are glue manufacturers going to take a cue from
those few shampoo companies that make the upside-down bottles with flat
"tops"? I don't even buy shampoo any more if it doesn't have that
feature. I mean, how many hours of our lives have we wasted waiting for
some gelatinous crap to come oozing out of those danged ol' "right-side
up" bottles anyways?!*

* (have I ever mentioned that "anyways" is always plural here in Texas?)

(woops, I forgot to pluralize the first occurrence!)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 4, 2:23*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:

* (have I ever mentioned that "anyways" is always plural here in Texas?)

In Quebec too.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

I have a question: When are glue manufacturers going to take a cue from
those few shampoo companies that make the upside-down bottles with flat
"tops"? I don't even buy shampoo any more if it doesn't have that
feature. I mean, how many hours of our lives have we wasted waiting for
some gelatinous crap to come oozing out of those danged ol' "right-side
up" bottles anyways?!*

I would imagine that the glue manufacturers figure that woodworkers are
smarter than the bottle. One shake is all it takes to get the glue to the
other end of the bottle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
I have a question: When are glue manufacturers going to take a cue from
those few shampoo companies that make the upside-down bottles with flat
"tops"? I don't even buy shampoo any more if it doesn't have that
feature. I mean, how many hours of our lives have we wasted waiting for
some gelatinous crap to come oozing out of those danged ol' "right-side
up" bottles anyways?!*

I would imagine that the glue manufacturers figure that woodworkers are
smarter than the bottle. One shake is all it takes to get the glue to the
other end of the bottle.

I don't know what kind of glue you're using, but when I have 3/4" of
Titebond left in a quart bottle, one shake ain't gonna get it.
Incidentally, when they get to that point I usually turn the bottles
upside down and store them in a tin can.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 4, 10:27*am, Jack Stein wrote:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

....[snip]...

Thanks! *Sorry if this is a WOT.

If by WOT, you mean Way Off Topic, it is, but only if you think this is
a political only group.

Nah, I meant Waste of Time. For some reason in my usenet circles it
meant something different than merely off topic. The "OT" prefix is
usually what I see for that. Since '95 or so {shrug}, beats me which
the "usenet old-timers" use more offten...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

I don't know what kind of glue you're using, but when I have 3/4" of
Titebond left in a quart bottle, one shake ain't gonna get it.
Incidentally, when they get to that point I usually turn the bottles
upside down and store them in a tin can.

Shake harder. Works for me.