Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tips for an organized workshop

Get down to Staples, or Office Depot this week. It's probably
the last week, they will have back-to-school supplies.

I use pencil boxes (those large translucent plastic things) to
hold small screw drivers, drill sets, etc. Beats having them
roll around in my tool chest. Come in two sizes, small and large. I
get both.

I also use the plastic slider boxes as well. You buy pencils
for marking, no? They are a good place for them.

Erasers - I got 12 of those Stadler plastic erasers for the price of
4!

Etc., etc. Anyone else has good tips like these?

Sharpies are also on sale as well. Tho I didn't get them this week. I
have
enough for the moment.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

Erasers - I got 12 of those Stadler plastic erasers for the price of
4!

What in the world do you use ERASERS for? Do you make mistakes????

I still have the one they gave me in kindergarten.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:44:34 -0700 (PDT), RonB
wrote:

Erasers - I got 12 of those Stadler plastic erasers for the price of
4!

What in the world do you use ERASERS for? Do you make mistakes????

Snip

RonB

Hell yes I make mistakes but I don't use an eraser to fix them. I use
my negative kerf saw blades for that!!

Gordon Shumway
Posted to rec.woodworking

Erasers - I got 12 of those Stadler plastic erasers for the price of
4!

What in the world do you use ERASERS for? Do you make mistakes????

Over here we call them rubbers. That caused some confusion in a posting I
made some years ago.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Over here we call them rubbers. That caused some confusion in a
posting I made some years ago. Jeff"

Yep, no one "over here" would ever admit they fit. (;

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hell yes I make mistakes....

I made a mistake once: I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was
right.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:
Hell yes I make mistakes....

I made a mistake once: I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was
right.

-Zz

ehem. :-)

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Zz Yzx wrote:
Hell yes I make mistakes....

I made a mistake once: I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was
right.

That of course, means you were thus wrong...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Erasers - I got 12 of those Stadler plastic erasers for the price of
4!

What in the world do you use ERASERS for? Do you make mistakes????

I still have the one they gave me in kindergarten.

RonB

The wise man learns from other people's mistakes. The average man
learns from his own mistakes, and the fool never learns, because he
doesn't make mistakes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The wise man learns from other people's mistakes. The average man
learns from his own mistakes, and the fool never learns, because he
doesn't make mistakes.

What is the difference between an oriental and an occidental?

The occidental learns from his mistakes.

The oriental learns from the mistakes of others, it's cheaper.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Erasers - I got 12 of those Stadler plastic erasers for the price of
4!

What in the world do you use ERASERS for? Do you make mistakes????

I still have the one they gave me in kindergarten.

RonB

I don't use stand-alone erasers in the shop, but when I am drafting a
desgin I will use one, sometimes with a metal erasor shield. Two
pencils with erasors are great for guiding small wood pieces on a
bandsaw table. Avoid ink pens on wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I don't use stand-alone erasers in the shop, but when I am drafting a
desgin I will use one, sometimes with a metal erasor shield. *Two
pencils with erasors are great for guiding small wood pieces on a
bandsaw table. *Avoid ink pens on wood.

You just dated yourself. When you mention drafting using erasers and
a metal erasing shield I guessing you have drafting experience going
back to at least the late 70's. I got my drafting table training
during the mid 60's using similar tools. I was trained in CAD during
the Late 70's/early 80's but was moving into other branches of
aerospace by then. I still dig out the old drafting tools when I am
working on a design problem.

It is discouraging to see how little college engineering students
learn about drafting when they finish school.

Ron
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I don't use stand-alone erasers in the shop, but when I am drafting a
desgin I will use one, sometimes with a metal erasor shield. Two
pencils with erasors are great for guiding small wood pieces on a
bandsaw table. Avoid ink pens on wood.

You just dated yourself. When you mention drafting using erasers and
a metal erasing shield I guessing you have drafting experience going
back to at least the late 70's. I got my drafting table training
during the mid 60's using similar tools. I was trained in CAD during
the Late 70's/early 80's but was moving into other branches of
aerospace by then. I still dig out the old drafting tools when I am
working on a design problem.

It is discouraging to see how little college engineering students
learn about drafting when they finish school.

Personally I find CAD to be OK for preparing a finished drawing but not so
much so for brainstorming.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I don't use stand-alone erasers in the shop, but when I am drafting a
desgin I will use one, sometimes with a metal erasor shield. Two
pencils with erasors are great for guiding small wood pieces on a
bandsaw table. Avoid ink pens on wood.

You just dated yourself. *When you mention drafting using erasers and
a metal erasing shield I guessing you have drafting experience going
back to at least the late 70's. *I got my drafting table training
during the mid 60's using similar tools. *I was trained in CAD during
the Late 70's/early 80's but was moving into other branches of
aerospace by then. *I still dig out the old drafting tools when I am
working on a design problem.

It is discouraging to see how little college engineering students
learn about drafting when they finish school.

Personally I find CAD to be OK for preparing a finished drawing but not so
much so for brainstorming.- Hide quoted text -

I finished many designs on the drawing board before moving over to
CAD. I use CAD a lot but sometimes I really lose sight of the big
picture. What I have found to be extremely helpful is to layout the
boundarys and some features in CAD, print it out and then sketch on
tracing paper laid over the CAD drawing those details that I want to
play with.

Bill Leonhardt

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:

It is discouraging to see how little college engineering students
learn about drafting when they finish school.

Ron

Before I retired as an engineer (1918) we were generally discouraged
from doing our own drafting. We had drafters that we worked with
to get out the final drawings. They didn't want us to waste our
engineering time fiddling with all the minor details of developing
a drawing to the finished standard.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"BillGill" wrote

Before I retired as an engineer (1918) we were generally discouraged
from doing our own drafting.

And I thought I was old! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"BillGill" wrote in message
Before I retired as an engineer (1918) we were generally discouraged
from doing our own drafting.

I'm guessing that should have been 1981?

Posted to rec.woodworking

BillGill wrote:
RonB wrote:

It is discouraging to see how little college engineering students
learn about drafting when they finish school.

Ron

Before I retired as an engineer (1918) we were generally discouraged
from doing our own drafting. We had drafters that we worked with
to get out the final drawings. They didn't want us to waste our
engineering time fiddling with all the minor details of developing
a drawing to the finished standard.

Bill

Whoops, 1998. It might make some difference.

I think one of the changes along through that time was that they did
switch to CAD. The drafters were trained in using the software,
which could sometimes be about as hard as design software, and all
the standards so that other people could read the drawings.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 27, 8:22*am, BillGill wrote:
RonB wrote:
It is discouraging to see how little college engineering students
learn about drafting when they finish school.

Ron

Before I retired as an engineer (1918) we were generally discouraged
from doing our own drafting. *We had drafters that we worked with
to get out the final drawings. *They didn't want us to waste our
engineering time fiddling with all the minor details of developing
a drawing to the finished standard.

Bill

I went through two years of design technology it Pittsburg State
University (Ks) and graduated in 1967. The tech school provided more
drafting knowledge in the first semester that college grads ever get.
Then they provide architectural, machine design, illustration, and
several applied tech courses like electricity, structural analysis,
machine shop, welding, etc. You come out pretty well prepared to get
started in anything but aircraft. So I hired on with an aircraft
company, but survived.

A couple years after I started working I decided to go for a business
degree and went to school, while raising family, for 8 - 9 years.
Desperate to graduate in '78, I started quizzing out on anything I
thought I could. The Wichita State industrial dean suggested I take
Drafting 102 and 202 which were the only drafting courses they made
engineering students take. I had been off the board for a few years
then but said OK and paid my fee. Took both exams the same morning
and left thinking I must have blown them because they were too easy.
A week later I stopped at the deans office for my grades. He looked
over his glasses at me and said "I'm not too happy about this!" I
aced both classes and got the highest grade in the advanced 201
class. He was ****ed and I was flabbergasted that these kid didn't
learn much.

Ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Erasers - I got 12 of those Stadler plastic erasers for the price of
4!

What in the world do you use ERASERS for? Do you make mistakes????

I still have the one they gave me in kindergarten.

RonB

Sometimes, when I use a marking knife it can be hard to see the line,
depending on the color of the wood.

So I use a pencil to darken it, and an eraser to remove the graphite
outside the scribe line. I get a fine dark line.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On sale, this week at Staples, $1.00, in large and small.

If you have pictures, will you share?

MJ

What did you pay for the modern equivalent of a cigar box? Walmart has them
for $1.00. Walmart even sells the school uniforms. My girlfriend looks hot
in the short-skirt model (I play the wicked headmaster).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Remember those erasers we used to put on the pencils after the original pencil eraser wore down?
They work great as a cap for the air fitting on my nail guns to keep dirt and crud out of the gun
when not in use. I saw Handbills tool is selling caps that do the same thing for $2 each. Two
dollars (about one pound and four, Jeff) buys a dozen or more erasers.

Regards,
Roy

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:50:19 -0700 (PDT), " wrote:

Get down to Staples, or Office Depot this week. It's probably
the last week, they will have back-to-school supplies.

I use pencil boxes (those large translucent plastic things) to
hold small screw drivers, drill sets, etc. Beats having them
roll around in my tool chest. Come in two sizes, small and large. I
get both.

I also use the plastic slider boxes as well. You buy pencils
for marking, no? They are a good place for them.

Erasers - I got 12 of those Stadler plastic erasers for the price of
4!

Etc., etc. Anyone else has good tips like these?

Sharpies are also on sale as well. Tho I didn't get them this week. I
have
enough for the moment.

MJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 24, 4:50*pm, "
wrote:
Get down to Staples, or Office Depot this week. It's probably
the last week, they will have back-to-school supplies.

And, while there, drive around to the back of the store and check out
their Dumpster. I found a UPS, a paper shredder, pencils computer
cables and, at New Calendar time tons of desk-size calendars that i
use as scribble pads for myself and my grand kids. The dated diarys
and such are not worth much to adults, but kids can get a lot of play
time out of them.

Be sure to place your Green and White "Diver Down" flag where folks
can see it before "going in." (;

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Etc., etc. Anyone else has good tips like these?

Use different types or colors of tape at each end of all your portable
corded tools. When you need to unplug it from the tangle of cords you
can find the one you need right away. Works on entertainment centers
too.

Beyond that, once you get the place organized don't post any pics of
it here or they'll think you don't actually do any work

Actually I've come to the conclusion that we are all exactly as
organized as we need to be. Necessity is the mother of organization.

-Kevin

Getting organized for the summer isabella Home Repair 1 June 15th 07 11:39 PM
Getting Organized in 2007 Closets On Demand Home Repair 0 December 30th 06 11:04 PM
workshop tips?? davor Metalworking 8 January 18th 06 03:53 AM
Good Workshop Tips Tom H Woodworking 0 December 2nd 05 01:29 PM
help getting my shop organized! dhmeiser Woodworking 14 March 4th 04 10:26 PM