Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plane from auction

I went to an auction today and bought a small box of stuff labeled
"primitive tools" for $15. The plane is what I was most interested in from
the box, it is: (Stanley) Bailey, 9", seems to be in pretty good shape and
on the body it is stamped:

PAT-D
MAR-25-02
AUG-19 -02

It's my first "old plane" so I'm sorted of excited about it. The front knob
has a crack in it. But, other than that, the plane doesn't show much wear.
I thought it would be fun to clean it up. I am curious whether the markings
indicate whether this plane in anyway special (or older). Do they tell if
the plane is 100 years old?

If I can figure out how to use my wife's camera and get a picture up, I will
try to post a picture of some of the interesting artifacts that were in the
box.

Regards,
Bill (the same Bill from the recent workbench thread, just newby'ing
along...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/12/2009 9:25 PM Bill spake thus:

I went to an auction today and bought a small box of stuff labeled
"primitive tools" for $15. The plane is what I was most interested in from
the box, it is: (Stanley) Bailey, 9", seems to be in pretty good shape and
on the body it is stamped:

PAT-D
MAR-25-02
AUG-19 -02

That's a patent date, so you know your plane was made sometime after
that. Could be quite a few years after.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 12, 9:25*pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

If it says Bailey, it's probably a Stanley. Check it out at Patrick's
blood and gore (http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm)

To date it, you could check out the Stanley Bench Plane dating page at
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/sta..._plane/dating/

Have fun.

Luigi
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Larry Kraus wrote:
This plane is probably not worth your time. Those patent dates
indicate that the plane is only about seven years old. The crack in
the knob is typical of the shoddy crap made these days. So is the fact
that there was a "bug fix" a few months after the original patent. A
true Bailey of a hundred years ago would not have cracked. Toss it...

.... over here!

lol

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Kraus wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

[...]

LOLOLOL. I just got hosed. I pressed Reply on Larry's post and was going
to tell Bill to take Luigi's advice, but then I saw how Larry ended his
post.

Very creative.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message

This plane is probably not worth your time. Those patent dates
indicate that the plane is only about seven years old. The crack in
the knob is typical of the shoddy crap made these days. So is the fact
that there was a "bug fix" a few months after the original patent. A
true Bailey of a hundred years ago would not have cracked. Toss it...

..... over here!

If you are curious about my reaction, as I read the first sentence I became
suddenly disappointed. But the middle of the post had an air of BS about
it... and I was relieved when I got to the end!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:25:43 -0400, "Bill" wrote:

I went to an auction today and bought a small box of stuff labeled
"primitive tools" for $15. The plane is what I was most interested in from
the box, it is: (Stanley) Bailey, 9", seems to be in pretty good shape and
on the body it is stamped:

PAT-D
MAR-25-02
AUG-19 -02

First, not knowing what else is in the box, but assuming it is all in half decent condition, let me
just say you probably suck.

From this info, and Patrick B&G, and the Stanley Plane Dating Chart, it sounds like you are now the
proud owner of a Stanley #4 (smoothing plane, Jeff) Type 9 (1902-1907) or 10 (1907-1909).

It's my first "old plane" so I'm sorted of excited about it. The front knob
has a crack in it. But, other than that, the plane doesn't show much wear.
I thought it would be fun to clean it up.

Quick, grab hold of something really solid. The slope just got real steep and it sounds like
somebody is greasing it up for you. If you think cleaning it up is fun, just wait until you hear
the damn thing make that magic Ssszzwicckkk sound and then you pick up a shaving about a thousandth
of an inch thick and look through it. All is lost at that point, and you start wondering why you
have so many things in the shop with electrical cords.

I am curious whether the markings
indicate whether this plane in anyway special (or older). Do they tell if
the plane is 100 years old?

If I can figure out how to use my wife's camera and get a picture up, I will
try to post a picture of some of the interesting artifacts that were in the
box.

Post 'em and generate some traffic in ABPW.

Regards,
Bill (the same Bill from the recent workbench thread, just newby'ing
along...)

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking