Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making window sash question

I need to make 60+ pair of DH divided light (mostly 8 over 8) double
hung sash. Having trouble finding the right wood. Any ideas? The
only suitable wood I have been able to find in my area is mahogany (of
dubious quality) for $5.00 bd. ft. How about cypress? Thanks. Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
news
I need to make 60+ pair of DH divided light (mostly 8 over 8) double
hung sash. Having trouble finding the right wood. Any ideas? The
only suitable wood I have been able to find in my area is mahogany (of
dubious quality) for $5.00 bd. ft. How about cypress? Thanks. Joe

D grade fir is what I would use. I've used it to replace Anderson awning
sash.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Joe Bleau wrote:
I need to make 60+ pair of DH divided light (mostly 8 over 8) double
hung sash. Having trouble finding the right wood. Any ideas? The
only suitable wood I have been able to find in my area is mahogany (of
dubious quality) for $5.00 bd. ft. How about cypress? Thanks. Joe

Where are you located would have a fair amount of bearing, I'd think.

For that many, should be able to find 9/8 white pine prepared window
stock from a millwork shop I'd think...a few years ago it was really
hard to come by but I'd think it'd not be so tough these days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 6, 1:05*pm, dpb wrote:
Joe Bleau wrote:
I need to make 60+ pair of DH divided light (mostly 8 over 8) double
hung sash. *Having trouble finding the right wood. *Any ideas? *The
only suitable wood I have been able to find in my area is mahogany (of
dubious quality) for $5.00 bd. ft. *How about cypress? *Thanks. *Joe

Where are you located would have a fair amount of bearing, I'd think.

For that many, should be able to find 9/8 white pine prepared window
stock from a millwork shop I'd think...a few years ago it was really
hard to come by but I'd think it'd not be so tough these days.

I've used western red cedar. You want a wood that's really stable,
hence the red cedar or white pine recommendations.

I made 42 sash for my solarium using red cedar (http://
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/galleria.html)

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
Joe Bleau wrote:
I need to make 60+ pair of DH divided light (mostly 8 over 8) double
hung sash. Having trouble finding the right wood. Any ideas? The
only suitable wood I have been able to find in my area is mahogany (of
dubious quality) for $5.00 bd. ft. How about cypress? Thanks. Joe

Where are you located would have a fair amount of bearing, I'd think.

For that many, should be able to find 9/8 white pine prepared window stock
from a millwork shop I'd think...a few years ago it was really hard to
come by but I'd think it'd not be so tough these days.

I find that fir has better water resistance than cwp. Gulf Coast shrimpers
use it in their boats. It's not as good as white oak. I'm going to make a
replacement door for my front entrance and I intend to use qs white oak. It
would be good for sash as well.

White pine is easier to work. Have you priced cwp lately?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lowell Holmes wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
Joe Bleau wrote:
I need to make 60+ pair of DH divided light (mostly 8 over 8) double
hung sash. Having trouble finding the right wood. Any ideas? The
only suitable wood I have been able to find in my area is mahogany (of
dubious quality) for $5.00 bd. ft. How about cypress? Thanks. Joe

Where are you located would have a fair amount of bearing, I'd think.

For that many, should be able to find 9/8 white pine prepared window stock
from a millwork shop I'd think...a few years ago it was really hard to
come by but I'd think it'd not be so tough these days.

I find that fir has better water resistance than cwp. Gulf Coast shrimpers
use it in their boats. It's not as good as white oak. I'm going to make a
replacement door for my front entrance and I intend to use qs white oak. It
would be good for sash as well.

White pine is easier to work. Have you priced cwp lately?

Couple years ago, yes. It wasn't much more in quantity than
alternatives altho certainly not what it once was. I'd think that would
have also improved somewhat, anyway.

White oak doesn't hold paint nearly as well, though, as does the cwp.
And, again, depending on the application and area, it's
probably/possibly the traditional choice if that has any bearing.

Fir is good but it ain't cheap, neither...at least here and despite
being quite a lot closer to western than eastern sources, it's almost
unobtainable locally.

Posted to rec.woodworking

..

Fir is good but it ain't cheap, neither...at least here and despite being
quite a lot closer to western than eastern sources, it's almost
unobtainable locally.

I've found fir 4x4's at two different Home Depot stores in Houston. They
were in the heavy lumber part of the store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 15:50:15 -0400, Joe Bleau
wrote:

I need to make 60+ pair of DH divided light (mostly 8 over 8) double
hung sash. Having trouble finding the right wood. Any ideas? The
only suitable wood I have been able to find in my area is mahogany (of
dubious quality) for $5.00 bd. ft. How about cypress? Thanks. Joe

White cedar?
Most old sashes were made from vertical grain old growth pine.
Some were made from straight grained douglas fir or hemlock as well.
Straight grained spruce ( think Sitka -like aircraft quality - think
pricy). Some are also made of redwood or red cedar.

I'd go for number 1 clear pine, myself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 15:05:31 -0500, dpb wrote:

Joe Bleau wrote:
I need to make 60+ pair of DH divided light (mostly 8 over 8) double
hung sash. Having trouble finding the right wood. Any ideas? The
only suitable wood I have been able to find in my area is mahogany (of
dubious quality) for $5.00 bd. ft. How about cypress? Thanks. Joe

Where are you located would have a fair amount of bearing, I'd think.

For that many, should be able to find 9/8 white pine prepared window
stock from a millwork shop I'd think...a few years ago it was really
hard to come by but I'd think it'd not be so tough these days.

Google Hoffmyers - or just go to Hoffmeyersmill.on.ca
They do windows across North America - high end restoration stuff.

painting window sash heteroscedastic Home Repair 5 June 9th 09 05:56 PM
Sash window won't stay up Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 10 August 31st 06 06:46 PM
sash window refurb aboleth UK diy 7 July 17th 06 08:12 PM
Making window sash+source for insulated glass Joe Bleau Woodworking 1 July 5th 06 06:28 PM
Window Sash Making Mike Woodworking 1 September 27th 03 06:19 AM