Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to reclaim painted wood?

Do any of you reclaim wood for your projects? What
do you do to prepare the stock? I have some nice
pieces but they are painted and I don't want to
use paint remover. I need to plane it down but
can't imagine running that paint through the planer.
Is there any easy way to do it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
Do any of you reclaim wood for your projects? What
do you do to prepare the stock? I have some nice
pieces but they are painted and I don't want to
use paint remover. I need to plane it down but
can't imagine running that paint through the planer.
Is there any easy way to do it?

A drum sander works great if you have access to one.
I have an old set of knives I put in the planer for this purpose.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in news:gZvam.1142$MA3.724
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
Do any of you reclaim wood for your projects? What
do you do to prepare the stock? I have some nice
pieces but they are painted and I don't want to
use paint remover. I need to plane it down but
can't imagine running that paint through the planer.
Is there any easy way to do it?

A drum sander works great if you have access to one.
I have an old set of knives I put in the planer for this purpose.
Art

A portable belt sander could be a good way to start, if you need another
tool. With my 3" belt sander, it takes just a few minutes per side to
smooth a 2x4x8 board. Removing paint would probably take just as long,
switching to progressively smoother grits as work progressed.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use a 9 inch disc grinder with a 24 - 36 grit to remove paint and
cupping and then I plane The rollers on my planer slip on painted
boards so I don't remove paint with my planer.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

A 3x24 belt sander with 24 grit belts.

YMMV

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
Do any of you reclaim wood for your projects? What
do you do to prepare the stock? I have some nice
pieces but they are painted and I don't want to
use paint remover. I need to plane it down but
can't imagine running that paint through the planer.
Is there any easy way to do it?

A drum sander works great if you have access to one.
I have an old set of knives I put in the planer for this purpose.
Art

A portable belt sander could be a good way to start, if you need
another tool. With my 3" belt sander, it takes just a few minutes
per side to smooth a 2x4x8 board. Removing paint would probably take
just as long, switching to progressively smoother grits as work
progressed.

One of my less pleasant but more useful memories from Junior High is of Mr.
Bean chewing me out for stripping paint with a belt sander. He pointed out
that the stripper to remove that paint cost a _lot_ less than the belt. Of
course those were the days when a school could hand a 13 year old a can of
methylene chloride without risk of hearing from the kid's parents' lawyers,
Child Protective Services, OSHA, and every other agency that thinks that
"protecting the children" is a higher good than letting them learn that pain
stripper treated without due respect will burn you no matter how rich your
daddy is or what color you are.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sbnjhfty wrote:
Do any of you reclaim wood for your projects? What
do you do to prepare the stock? I have some nice
pieces but they are painted and I don't want to
use paint remover. I need to plane it down but
can't imagine running that paint through the planer.
Is there any easy way to do it?

Use a sharp hand plane blade as a cabinet scraper to scrape the paint off.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

sbnjhfty wrote:
Do any of you reclaim wood for your projects? What
do you do to prepare the stock? I have some nice
pieces but they are painted and I don't want to
use paint remover. I need to plane it down but
can't imagine running that paint through the planer.
Is there any easy way to do it?

Having done a fair amount of work with reclaimed lumber, I would like to
offer some ideas:

First consider where the lumber came from. A few years ago, I
refinished a pool table that I built in the mid-70s. It was finished
with a "wood grain" kit (paint). Since I knew about the piece (made
from poplar and screwed together) and knew for certain that there was no
imbedded metal, I ran the rails and aprons through a planer. There was
little damage to the blades but the time spent was well worth the cost
of fresh blades. Curved parts were denuded (ooooh) by chemicals and
sanding.

On the other hand, when a neighbor offered me his redwood deck, I
accepted. This stuff falls into the category of "probably OK" but I
couldn't be certain that there was no metal embedded in the wood. I
first washed the wood to get rid of as much dirt as possible. Next I
used a combination of eyesight and a cheapo metal detector to find the
bad stuff. The detector wasn't worth the powder to blow it to hell ($20
doesn't buy you much) but I found a few nails in there visually. I
pulled those out and next went after it with a hand held belt sander.
This took off some more ground in crud plus bits of old varnish. Next I
vacuumed it and took one last look for nasties. Finding none, it was
ready for jointing.

The lumber and hence several pieces of mud room furniture look rather
good. Some of the sapwood is spalted and can be displayed prominently
or cut out as your taste dictates.

mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
sbnjhfty wrote:
Do any of you reclaim wood for your projects? What
do you do to prepare the stock? I have some nice
pieces but they are painted and I don't want to
use paint remover. I need to plane it down but
can't imagine running that paint through the planer.
Is there any easy way to do it?

Use a sharp hand plane blade as a cabinet scraper to scrape the paint off.

Eeek! Poor plane blade.

If you want to scrape, I suggest a carbide scraper. Relatively cheap
and stays sharp much longer than steel.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
Do any of you reclaim wood for your projects? What
do you do to prepare the stock? I have some nice
pieces but they are painted and I don't want to
use paint remover. I need to plane it down but
can't imagine running that paint through the planer.
Is there any easy way to do it?

Acutally I "would" use paint remover, there are some very effective, user
friendly, environmentally safe removers that IIRC are Soy bean based.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen writes:
Nova wrote:
sbnjhfty wrote:
Do any of you reclaim wood for your projects? What
do you do to prepare the stock? I have some nice
pieces but they are painted and I don't want to
use paint remover. I need to plane it down but
can't imagine running that paint through the planer.
Is there any easy way to do it?

Use a sharp hand plane blade as a cabinet scraper to scrape the paint off.

Eeek! Poor plane blade.

0) Most latex/oil paints are nonabrasive.
1) A plane blade can be resharpened easily.
2) Use a scrub plane.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 24, 11:23*pm, sbnjhfty wrote:
Do any of you reclaim wood for your projects? *What
do you do to prepare the stock? *I have some nice
pieces but they are painted and I don't want to
use paint remover.

Instead of sanding, consider heating (electric hot
air gun) and scraping; no dust, quickly gets through
dozens of coats. Propane torch works, too.

Then use chemical paint remover on the residue; it's
easy, quick, and effective, unless y ou have some
kind of milk paint/epoxy/powdercoat odd finish to deal with.

When the finish is off, it's a lot easier to remove the nails
so it can go into a planer...

Hand Painted Wood Furniture liukaiyuan Home Ownership 0 June 14th 08 12:59 PM
Planer with Painted wood noreaster Woodworking 23 September 10th 07 04:00 AM
Burning painted wood Jim S UK diy 8 April 6th 07 01:44 PM
Gluing Painted Wood Question Scraper Woodworking 4 September 29th 06 07:52 PM
Sandblasting Painted Wood Vinnie Boombotts Woodworking 9 July 6th 05 05:10 PM