Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Cleaver Idea

"Robatoy" wrote in message
*Haughty sniff*.. well.. *I* use Mirka Abranet sandpaper/screens so it
is never an issue.

BTW.. once you get hooked (no pun intended) on Abranet, you will never
use sand'paper' again. It costs a little more, but the results are
superior and the stuff lasts a long time. I did a study, it is
actually cheaper in the long run. A perfect mate to Festool sanders.

I have been eyeing that stuff, does it require a special atachment pad? Are
there a variety of grits? Works good on wood?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 9:16*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

*Haughty sniff*.. well.. *I* use Mirka Abranet sandpaper/screens so it
is never an issue.

BTW.. once you get hooked (no pun intended) on Abranet, you will never
use sand'paper' again. It costs a little more, but the results are
superior and the stuff lasts a long time. I did a study, it is
actually cheaper in the long run. A perfect mate to Festool sanders.

I have been eyeing that stuff, does it require a special atachment pad? *Are
there a variety of grits? *Works good on wood?

First of all, the Festool pads are perfect for Abranet. They stick
like dog-snot to a screen door. (**** to a blanket, whatever...)

The consistency in grit is second to none and my collection goes from
180 to 240 to 320 to 400 to 600.
I think there are courser and finer grits than that, but I don't use
them.
In the 7 years I have been using that stuff, I have yet to see a
screen clog up.... then again, I don't use that stuff on latex painted
surfaces...it is not made for crap-removal. I would also not use my
Festool sanders (3) for that kind of work anyway.

The dust-removal aspect of Abranet-on-Festool is simply unbelievable.
(Although you're already indoctrinated.)

Now, when you ask me about the performance on wood, I suspect if the
stuff is really splintery or full of resin, you might get some
clogging. It works great on cherry, maple, walnut and hickory.

You won't believe the 'cut' you get from their 240... fast, clean and
durable... simply nothing like it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 21, 9:16 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

snip

Now, when you ask me about the performance on wood, I suspect if the
stuff is really splintery or full of resin, you might get some
clogging. It works great on cherry, maple, walnut and hickory.

You won't believe the 'cut' you get from their 240... fast, clean and
durable... simply nothing like it.

Actually I was think about the use on coarse grained red oak, the wood I use
80% of the time.
So you just go directly onto the Festool pad and get after it? I'll have to
try some out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 5:41*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Jul 21, 9:16 am, "Leon" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

snip

Now, when you ask me about the performance on wood, I suspect if the
stuff is really splintery or full of resin, you might get some
clogging. It works great on cherry, maple, walnut and hickory.

You won't believe the 'cut' you get from their 240... fast, clean and
durable... simply nothing like it.

Actually I was think about the use on coarse grained red oak, the wood I use
80% of the time.
So you just go directly onto the Festool pad and get after it? *I'll have to
try some out.

Yup. Directly onto the Festool pad. I always keep two pads for each
sander...a hard/flat one and a soft one and the Abranet always sticks.