Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DP question

I've got a little Ryobi bench top DP that does a great job on the little
stuff I do. Today, I needed to bore some very straight 3 inch deep
holes in the end of a 1x6x18. With the bit in, I just had 12 inches of
clearance between the bit end and the base, so I ended up using the
handheld. I got it close enough, but not perfect. Was there any other
way to attack this short of unbolting the column from the base and
rigging a temporary column extension? I actually thought about doing
that but for two flippin' holes? No way.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

I've got a little Ryobi bench top DP that does a great job on the
little stuff I do. Today, I needed to bore some very straight 3
inch deep holes in the end of a 1x6x18. With the bit in, I just had
12 inches of clearance between the bit end and the base, so I ended
up using the handheld. I got it close enough, but not perfect. Was
there any other way to attack this short of unbolting the column
from the base and rigging a temporary column extension? I actually
thought about doing that but for two flippin' holes? No way.

Rotate the drill head 180 degrees so that it sticks out over the edge
of the bench.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 19:53:25 -0500, "
wrote:

I've got a little Ryobi bench top DP that does a great job on the little
stuff I do. Today, I needed to bore some very straight 3 inch deep
holes in the end of a 1x6x18. With the bit in, I just had 12 inches of
clearance between the bit end and the base, so I ended up using the
handheld. I got it close enough, but not perfect. Was there any other
way to attack this short of unbolting the column from the base and
rigging a temporary column extension? I actually thought about doing
that but for two flippin' holes? No way.

Larry

assuming the ends of the 1x6 are square and a long drill bit (6-8"
long) is available, I believe I'd use the DP to drill holes at the
desired location in the end of a short section of 1x6 ( 2 to 3 inches
long?). Then clamp the short section of 1x6 end to end with the longer
piece and use it as a drill guide to locate and align the holes in the
long piece. A couple of pieces of scrap running the long way on either
side of the 1x6 will give a place to apply clamps as well keep the
short piece aligned with the long piece.

Not a very robust drill jig since the holes in the short piece will
rapidly be enlarged/elongated and useable for drilling only a very
limited number of holes in the long piece. But I've done similar for
very short production runs with good success.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 15, 7:53*pm, " wrote:
I've got a little Ryobi bench top DP that does a great job on the little
stuff I do. *Today, I needed to bore some very straight 3 inch deep
holes in the end of a 1x6x18. *With the bit in, I just had 12 inches of
clearance between the bit end and the base, so I ended up using the
handheld. *I got it close enough, but not perfect. *Was there any other
way to attack this short of unbolting the column from the base and
rigging a temporary column extension? *I actually thought about doing
that but for two flippin' holes? *No way.

I did what Lew suggested when I had to do that. The problem is, when
you do that you've got no table now to get you square with the drill
bit, so I ended up using a square and clamps and a mickey mouse setup
to do it, and I ended up just like you; close enough, but not perfect.

Dan