Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cool Article on wood treatment--Making hardwoods out of softwoods

http://www.economist.com/sciencetech...ptextfe ature

Posted to rec.woodworking

BobFilipczak wrote:

http://www.economist.com/sciencetech...ptextfe ature

There's a similar product called "Alowood" that is available around
here. I talked with a custom cabinetry guy that's used it on a few
projects and likes it.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 15, 10:26*am, BobFilipczak wrote:
http://www.economist.com/sciencetech...ory.cfm?story_...

Interesting. But maple is not a softwood, and a pretty hard hardwood
at that. And I wonder how much of the rain forest clearing is going on
to making ass-wipe & pasture for your McD burgers compared to teak
decks and furniture.

Except for applications in contact with the ground, we find softwoods
are plenty strong and durable enough in North America. Whether we are
sustainably harvesting them is another question.

But I do welcome other means of preventing wood from rotting: anything
is gotta be better than copper chromium arsenate (still widely
available in Canada).

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Jul 15, 10:26 am, BobFilipczak wrote:
http://www.economist.com/sciencetech...ory.cfm?story_...

Interesting. But maple is not a softwood, and a pretty hard hardwood
at that. And I wonder how much of the rain forest clearing is going on
to making ass-wipe & pasture for your McD burgers compared to teak
decks and furniture.

Paper for McD burgers is not yet made from expensive, exotic wood.

Except for applications in contact with the ground, we find softwoods
are plenty strong and durable enough in North America. Whether we are
sustainably harvesting them is another question.

Trees cut for lumber, and ass-wiping, and McD's is always sustainably
harvested, it is a crop. Trees cut for farming and making room for
buildings and housing is not. Rain forests, if they can be preserved at
all, will be preserved by making the wood extremely desirable and
expensive, which it is. The minute exotic wood is no longer used, due
to bad laws or a better replacement (Alowood), the rain forests will be
clear cut for housing and farming instead of maintained as a money crop.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/