Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockwell Table Saw Restoration

I just bought a Rockwell Model 10 Contractor table saw and am
currently getting it ready to use. I want to tear it down and clean
it, paint the CI and rewire it for 110v. One question I have is about
the shafts inside. How do I clean and polish these up? WD40 & elbow
grease? How do I keep them from corroding again? There is a light
layer of rust on them now. Also, what parts do I need to grease (what
kind) in the saw cabinet?

I also want to add a better switch on the front. I saw one at Grizzly
for about $12-13. I don't have the money right now to buy a nice mag
motor starter switch. Eventually, I will find a good unisaw to restore
and I'll add a mag switch to that when the time comes.

One idea I have for the table top is to use gun bluing to blue the
top. I got that from a local millshop worker.

Any guidance?

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

"rockymtns99" wrote in message

One idea I have for the table top is to use gun bluing to blue the
top. I got that from a local millshop worker.

Any guidance?

Steve

Keep the parts dry and they should not rust. The top can be kept from
rusting and you will get a slicker surface if you use TopCote. A lot less
effort and TopCote was made for this purpose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You might do better at Old Wood Working Machinery.org owwm.org. They
might have some items posted on basic restoration steps, the forum is
a wealth of info that can be searched and the same question you posted
here will get expert advice real fast; there are lots of people on
that forum.

On Jul 2, 11:51*am, rockymtns99 wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 2, 5:44*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
[...]

Thanks! I've joined OWWM. Pretty cool!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 2, 2:51*pm, rockymtns99 wrote:
I just bought a Rockwell Model 10 Contractor table saw and am
currently getting it ready to use. I want to tear it down and clean
it, paint the CI and rewire it for 110v. One question I have is about
the shafts inside. How do I clean and polish these up? WD40 & elbow
grease? How do I keep them from corroding again?

Wet sand with WD40. I've taken heavy rust off old iron, and
it never returns.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 2, 11:51*am, rockymtns99 wrote:
I just bought a Rockwell Model 10 Contractor table saw and am
currently getting it ready to use. I want to tear it down and clean
it, paint the CI and rewire it for 110v. One question I have is about
the shafts inside. How do I clean and polish these up?

Wire brush (I like a pneumatic die-grinder with 2" wheel, personally)
will take off anything loose, a bit of twine and some mild abrasive
(metal polish) will also help. If you can take it
apart, a bench grinder with wire wheel is good.

I like to heat the metal bits and rub down with a parafin-soaked
rag, but paste wax is also good for keeping rust at bay. If it
can't be disassembled, just rub with a bit of boiled linseed oil.