Posted to rec.woodworking

Default good vise?

Hello all,
Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of
warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you folks
have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman.
Thanks,
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
Hello all,
Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of
warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you folks
have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman.
Thanks,
Kerry

I have a Record. Never failed me. Record no longer exists but Anant
now makes their vises. Take a look at
http://www.workbenchdesign.net/rvises.html for a handy list of vise
hardware.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote in message
Kerry Montgomery wrote:
Hello all,
Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of
warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you
folks have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman.
Thanks,
Kerry

I have a Record. Never failed me. Record no longer exists but Anant now
makes their vises. Take a look at
http://www.workbenchdesign.net/rvises.html for a handy list of vise
hardware.
mahalo,
jo4hn

jo4hn,
Thanks, nice link.
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kerry Montgomery" wrote in message
m...
Hello all,
Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of
warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you
folks have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman.
Thanks,
Kerry

Are you sure it is out of warranty? I was under the impression, mistaken
impression perhaps, that Craftsman tools that did not have a motor had a
life time guarantee.
Although parts are not available, they may just replace it, if the warranty
happens to be still in effect.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
Hello all,
Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of
warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you folks
have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman.

Funny you should ask...

FWW had a review of woodworking vises this past issue (June '09); I
didn't really read it but was surprised a little surprised at some of
the ones that didn't seem to rate very well...

If it's a general-purpose vise instead of woodworking you're after,
that's different of course.

As somebody else noted, if it's really Craftsman as opposed to
Companion, it's quite possible you can simply get another for nothing
more than a trip to the nearest mall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 1, 12:29*pm, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
Hello all,
Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of
warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you folks
have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman.
Thanks,
Kerry

I'm building a small work bench for my son's birthday gift, and was
looking seriously at getting one of these from Woodcraft:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20452

If I can find a smaller one (like your 5" one), I'll probably go with
that one, but we'll have to see.

I personally have a Wilton 7" and although I haven't used it much, it
has the quick release screw, which is pretty handy.

Thanks,
Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kerry Montgomery" wrote in message
I have a Record. Never failed me. Record no longer exists but Anant

now
makes their vises. Take a look at

Lee Valley Tools has some Record style vises. And, considering the customer
service you get from LV, I don't think you could go wrong with one of these.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...80&cat=1,41659

I'm lucky in the respect that I picked up a used 12" original Record vise a
number of years ago. It doesn't have an integrated bench dog like many steel
vises do these days, but I know it will outlast me and several generations
that come after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 1, 2:28*pm, Stuart wrote:
In article ,
* *jo4hn wrote:

I have a Record. *Never failed me. *Record no longer exists but Anant
now makes their vises.

I think you will find Record are now part of Irwin.

Certainly advertised as such in the UK and still available under that
brand-name.

If you can get one you *know* you've got something that's going to last.

They make damm good vices, G and sash cramps. Their planes aren't bad
either.

I'm just in the process of building a new bench and I got given a massive
10 1/2" Record vice (the biggest they made) which I've just been mounting..

I've got almost 14" of clear opening even with the wooden cheeks fitted.

Are they still making and selling them in the UK? They are no longer
available new in North America, like what jo4hn & Upscale said.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've had a Harbor Freight 94386 for about 10 years now. When I bought it
they were made in Taiwan, I believe they are now made in China. It is
a copy of a mid-size Record with the quick release. If you wait til it
is on sale you can probably get one for $30 or $40. The regular price
is $60.

It may not have as nice a paint job as a Record but I cannot imagine the
Record working any better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:

Lee Valley Tools has some Record style vises. And, considering the customer
service you get from LV, I don't think you could go wrong with one of these.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...80&cat=1,41659

I've got the medium-size one of these. Works well, haven't had any
problems.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have 2ea 7 inch (I think) vices from Rockler don't remember the
name. But I sure use the quick release - a lot, and the little metal
stud that comes up for clamping. Whatever kind you settle on, I would
look for those features.

Hope this helps.

Rich.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 09:29:53 -0700, "Kerry Montgomery"
wrote:

Hello all,
Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of
warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you folks
have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman.
Thanks,
Kerry

I have a Record (Made in England). Made in USA, Sweden, Germany or
Canada is usually good. Avoid China.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hello all,
Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of
warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you folks
have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman.
Thanks,
Kerry

I have a Record (Made in England). *Made in USA, Sweden, Germany or
Canada is usually good. Avoid China.

Ok, what makes one vice "good" and one "bad"? Why is a vice made in
China automatically "bad"? A vice is pretty low-tech, easy-to-copy, I
would think.

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:
Kerry Montgomery wrote:
Hello all,
Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of
warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you folks
have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman.
Thanks,
Kerry

I have a Record. Never failed me. Record no longer exists but Anant
now makes their vises. Take a look at
http://www.workbenchdesign.net/rvises.html for a handy list of vise
hardware.
mahalo,
jo4hn

The OP said a Craftsman bench vise. When I hear that, I think of a
utility vise like:

http://www.epinions.com/review/Craft...nt_84300500612

not a woodworking vise per se. Perhaps this should be clarified before
we suggest a replacement.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

My life is based on a true story.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hello all,
Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of
warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you folks
have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman.
Thanks,
Kerry
I have a Record (Made in England). *Made in USA, Sweden, Germany or
Canada is usually good. Avoid China.

Ok, what makes one vice "good" and one "bad"? *Why is a vice made in
China automatically "bad"? *A vice is pretty low-tech, easy-to-copy, I
would think.

Aren't all "vices", by definition, bad? *(sorry, couldn't resist)

sheesh Ok, so what is a Chinese vice? (damn homonyms)

Yes, you would think a vise would be a pretty easy thing to copy, and that by automatically
discounting all Chinese-made vises as not worthy of consideration you might be shutting
yourself out from a potential good deal. *Of course, I might also assume that Phisherman has
direct experience with vises from all the countries he listed, and from his experiences he
concluded the ones made in China were crap. *

Seriously, I'm interested in just what makes a good vise. I'll be
buying one soon and while I'm not about to spend $200 on a hunk-o-
iron, I would spend more than I normally would if I am convinced that
one is better than the alternatives. I've looked at HF vises and
their prices aren't anything special, certainly not good enough to
have one shipped to me.

Or, I could just be sitting here with a few
extra minutes on my hand and with nothing of real substance to say... *:-)

At least you're being honest. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
jo4hn wrote:
Kerry Montgomery wrote:
[...]

Hi Gerald,
Sorry to have been away from the group for a couple of days - yes, I'm
looking for a replacement for a utility vise like the one you linked to, not
to a woodworking vise. Although I may need one of those eventually, so am
happy for the input so far. You would think that all chunks of iron might be
comparable, but the jaws on my Craftsman (out of its one year warranty -
have now learned a vise is not a hand tool - which are the only Craftsman
products with lifetime warranties) broke very easily, and have seen that a
number of others have had exactly this problem with Craftsman vises. No
replacement jaws available from Sears, but replacement jaws for other vises
cost nearly as much as this vise did in the first place.
Thanks again,
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 1, 12:29*pm, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
Hello all,
Just broke one of the jaw inserts in my Craftsman 5" bench vise. Out of
warranty, no replacement parts available. Was wondering what vises you folks
have had good luck with? My next one won't be a Craftsman.
Thanks,
Kerry

Wooden handscrew clamped to the workbench with
another clamp. Started out as a stopgap measure,
but with decent vises not being cheap, it's become
my permanent setup.

For hand planing, a 3/4" wide cleat shoved into
the miter slot of the table saw makes a fine
bench dog.