Posted to rec.woodworking

Default End grain on MDF

I have seen a few queries on edge-treating MDF. Here is a wonderful
solution:

A sign-maker had me do some 3D sculpting on my CNC using 1" MDF as a
substrate. Needless to say, it exposed a whole whack of fuzzy grain.
He told me that was easy to deal with if one used
Zinser BullsEye Stain covering white ceiling primer.
We did.
It dried ready for sanding in 2 hours (I suppose that could vary with
temperature and all that).
It is a bit messy as it is oil-based..at least it needs mineral
spirits for clean-up.
The result was absolutely effortless, fast, cheap, and just great.

Works like a charm. If you didn't know this already, you do now.

Happy CANADA DAY
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I have seen a few queries on edge-treating MDF. Here is a wonderful
solution:

Zinser BullsEye Stain covering white ceiling primer.

Pigmented Shellac.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 30, 11:39*am, "Dave in Houston" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I have seen a few queries on edge-treating MDF. Here is a wonderful
solution:
Zinser BullsEye Stain covering white ceiling primer.

* * Pigmented Shellac.

Dave in Houston

Sure, easy for you to say.
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Jun 30, 8:23 am, Robatoy wrote:
I have seen a few queries on edge-treating MDF. Here is a wonderful
solution:

A sign-maker had me do some 3D sculpting on my CNC using 1" MDF as a
substrate. Needless to say, it exposed a whole whack of fuzzy grain.
He told me that was easy to deal with if one used
Zinser BullsEye Stain covering white ceiling primer.
We did.
It dried ready for sanding in 2 hours (I suppose that could vary with
temperature and all that).
It is a bit messy as it is oil-based..at least it needs mineral
spirits for clean-up.
The result was absolutely effortless, fast, cheap, and just great.

Works like a charm. If you didn't know this already, you do now.

Happy CANADA DAY

Try some thinned drywall compound. Dries faster, too. Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

So it's route, paint, sand?

I recently had some shapes cut on my buddys full sheet CNC from 3/4
MDF. What he handed me is super clean on all edges and I know he
didn't sand anything because I showed up right as he finished and
picked it up off the table myself. It was just a typical end mill type
cut edge, no profile.

Is it just profiled edges that have a problem or do you have an edge
fraying problem with straight cut edges also?

On Jun 30, 8:23*am, Robatoy wrote:
I have seen a few queries on edge-treating MDF. Here is a wonderful
solution:

A sign-maker had me do some 3D sculpting on my CNC using 1" MDF as a
substrate. Needless to say, it exposed a whole whack of fuzzy grain.
He told me that was easy to deal with if one used
Zinser BullsEye Stain covering white ceiling primer.
We did.
It dried ready for sanding in 2 hours (I suppose that could vary with
temperature and all that).
It is a bit messy as it is oil-based..at least it needs mineral
spirits for clean-up.
The result was absolutely effortless, fast, cheap, and just great.

Works like a charm. If you didn't know this already, you do now.

Happy CANADA DAY

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Is it just profiled edges that have a problem or do you have an edge
fraying problem with straight cut edges also?

Probably just a bit of smudging on his CAD drawing.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Is it just profiled edges that have a problem or do you have an edge
fraying problem with straight cut edges also?

Probably just a bit of smudging on his CAD drawing.

Must have used SketchUp.
g,d&r

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom" wrote in message

Try some thinned drywall compound. Dries faster, too. Tom

I dunno. That's water-based and I'd think it might cause some swelling.

--
Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Artemus wrote:
It hides the burn marks on cherry quite well too.
Art

So does black paint.
;-)
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I have seen a few queries on edge-treating MDF. Here is a wonderful
solution:

A sign-maker had me do some 3D sculpting on my CNC using 1" MDF as a
substrate. Needless to say, it exposed a whole whack of fuzzy grain.
He told me that was easy to deal with if one used
Zinser BullsEye Stain covering white ceiling primer.
We did.
It dried ready for sanding in 2 hours (I suppose that could vary with
temperature and all that).
It is a bit messy as it is oil-based..at least it needs mineral
spirits for clean-up.
The result was absolutely effortless, fast, cheap, and just great.

Works like a charm. If you didn't know this already, you do now.

Yup, the ends need to be sealed with anything except a water based product.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
So it's route, paint, sand?

I recently had some shapes cut on my buddys full sheet CNC from 3/4
MDF. What he handed me is super clean on all edges and I know he
didn't sand anything because I showed up right as he finished and
picked it up off the table myself. It was just a typical end mill type
cut edge, no profile.

Is it just profiled edges that have a problem or do you have an edge
fraying problem with straight cut edges also?

Any edge "will" have a problem if you add a water based product directly to
it.