Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glueing Paduck

I need to glue two pices of Paduck about 2" x 2"
Is the first time I ever used such whood and it feels "waxy" or "fat" to the
touch.
I wander if regular carpenter glue works.
Any experience?
Should I use a different glue?

Thanks
Mauro

Posted to rec.woodworking

MG wrote:
I need to glue two pices of Paduck about 2" x 2"
Is the first time I ever used such whood and it feels "waxy" or "fat" to the
touch.
I wander if regular carpenter glue works.
Any experience?
Should I use a different glue?

Should work ... just sand the surface lightly before applying the glue
to both sides.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

MG wrote:
I need to glue two pices of Paduck about 2" x 2"
Is the first time I ever used such whood and it feels "waxy" or
"fat" to the touch.

Where is Steve Knight these days?

Think he used Paduck in his planes.

"Waxy" wood often requires extra surface prep.

I'd wipe the surfaces with acetone, then hit them with 60 grit to
roughen before attempting to glue.

Step 1: TiteBondII.

If that fails, Step 2: Thickened epoxy.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MG" wrote in message
I need to glue two pices of Paduck about 2" x 2"
Is the first time I ever used such whood and it feels "waxy" or "fat" to
the touch.
I wander if regular carpenter glue works.
Any experience?
Should I use a different glue?

Thanks
Mauro

Many years ago I built 3 or 4 pieces of furniture out of Padauk. Many
years ago would be 25+. I have a book shelf cabinet made from Oak with
Padauk trim, a Maple butcher block with Padauk rings around the legs, and a
Padauk, Cocobolo, and Walnut coffee table. Back then I used Elmer's
Carpenter yellow glue, all pieces are holding up well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 24, 8:09*pm, "MG" wrote:
I need to glue two pices of Paduck about 2" x 2"
Is the first time I ever used such whood and it feels "waxy" or "fat" to the
touch.
I wander if regular carpenter glue works.
Any experience?
Should I use a different glue?

Thanks
Mauro

I use Titebond II & Titebond III on my segmented turnings. I've done
lots of Padauk, Ebony, Wenge, Bubinga, Zebrawood, Bloodwood, Redheart,
Zircote, Bocote, etc. I've got some test pieces and some that I tried
to make too thin out in my shop which is unheated unless I'm working
out there. Summer is high humidity and high temps. Winter It is low
humidity and 20's that go up to 70-80 (wood stove) in a short time
then drop again when I quit working. None of the joints have failed
nor have they had any "glue creep".

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
MG wrote:
I need to glue two pices of Paduck about 2" x 2"
Is the first time I ever used such whood and it feels "waxy" or
"fat" to the touch.

Where is Steve Knight these days?

Think he used Paduck in his planes.

"Waxy" wood often requires extra surface prep.

I'd wipe the surfaces with acetone

IIRC, not recommended for paduak.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"MG" wrote in message
|I need to glue two pices of Paduck about 2" x 2"
| Is the first time I ever used such whood and it feels "waxy" or "fat" to
the
| touch.
| I wander if regular carpenter glue works.
| Any experience?
| Should I use a different glue?

I had good success recently gluing Padauk to African Blackwood with Titebond
III -- I chose that because it's "waterproof"

Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message

I had good success recently gluing Padauk to African Blackwood with
Titebond
III -- I chose that because it's "waterproof"

Norm

LOL,, Water Resistant! There is no truth in labeling anymore. I went
round and round with Franklin about that claim several years ago after IIRC
Wood Magazine did a test of glues. TB II proved to hold up better than TB
III in wet condition testing.

Franklin claims Waterproof because the testing standards that they conform
to indicate that for a Water Proof glue to be labeled Water Proof, it only
has to be Water Resistant.

Go figger.

I only use TB III because I prefer the darker color that it dries to when I
am working with Oak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you all.

Mauro
"MG" wrote in message
I need to glue two pices of Paduck about 2" x 2"
Is the first time I ever used such whood and it feels "waxy" or "fat" to
the touch.
I wander if regular carpenter glue works.
Any experience?
Should I use a different glue?

Thanks
Mauro

Glueing corners Eigenvector Woodworking 2 September 14th 08 04:20 AM
glueing a window newman Home Repair 1 April 21st 07 02:44 AM
glueing veneered MDF R. Pierce Butler Woodworking 7 December 30th 05 08:09 PM
Glueing up a chair dgadams Woodworking 12 December 3rd 05 02:18 AM
Glueing ply to ply ??????? [email protected] Woodworking 7 October 31st 04 04:03 PM