Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Are cyanoacrylates all created equal?

wrote in message
On Jun 18, 10:15 pm, "Artemus" wrote:

Snip

It seems the less expensive stuff doesn't hold all that well, but most
importantly doesn't have a good shelf life when opened. The best
stuff I found that personally meets my needs is either from Smith
Industries, or the "Hot Stuff" brand of CA they sell at Woodcraft or
on the 'net.

Both adhere well, and have great shelf life. WC even sell replacement
spouts for the HS brand of glue bottles if you get a clog or dried
spot blocking the flow so you can usually use most or all of the
bottle.

Robert

FWIW and you probably already know this. About 12 years ago I had a project
that required a SuperGlue, I bought Maxi-Cure brand. When I started turning
pens about 1 year ago I bought a couple of bottles of Hot Stuff, thin and
thick. The Hot Stuff hardened in the bottle after about 1 year, I kept it
out in my garage/shop tool chest. The MaxiCure was still good last year, I
keep it in the refrigerator when not in use for 11 years. My wife used the
old bottle of glue to reglue her nails. Long ago I read that keeping the
super glues in the refrigerator extends their shelf life. I now have a
bottle of TiteBond super glue in the refrigerator.