Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oh boy, I've got a pile of cherry...

Now I've done it. We recently had to take down a very big black
cherry tree on our property for fear limbs would fall off and hit the
house or a car. Anyway, I asked the guy if there was any chance I
could get a little bit milled as I thought it would be nice to make a
box or something small from a tree that came from our land, all .14
acres of it. He said "Sure, I have a friend with a mill".

Well, today I came home and pulled in the driveway and in the back, at
the far end of the driveway there is a pile of cherry in 12' lengths,
about 10 foot wide, and about 2' hight. Each one is ~4/4 or 5/4. I
stood there thinking what the hell am I going to do with all of this?
It is milled to thickness, but the edges need to be cut to width, so
there is a reasonable amount of waste.

I went and got my next door neighbor who also does some woodworking.
He said he has a spot on his land that we can use to stack it. I
found a good document on stacking so I think I'm good there. But
should I cut the wood to width before I stack it or just leave it in
it's "uneven" state and wait for it to dry? It will be outside for
the most part.

-Jim

fs: vaguely OT - pile of books, anyone? Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 4 March 23rd 09 01:42 AM
Need to stain cherry to dark cherry CraigT Woodworking 24 October 25th 07 02:52 AM
How to Stack Log Pile? Davy UK diy 14 June 27th 06 10:38 AM
Estimating BF in a pile of lumber Brian Mahaney Woodworking 6 August 31st 05 04:48 PM
B&D SandStorm - Pile of Crap! [email protected] UK diy 18 January 26th 05 02:57 PM