Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T:Seat belt fastened?

No, seated at puter, selt belt not fastened, but would not hurt if it
had been.

Quake just came thru here in SoCal.

No apparent damage in my world.

Will await magnitude and duration data.

Film at 11:00 PM.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
No, seated at puter, selt belt not fastened, but would not hurt if it
had been.

Quake just came thru here in SoCal.

No apparent damage in my world.

Will await magnitude and duration data.

Film at 11:00 PM.

Lew

According to Maggy's magic web page, it was about a 5.0 near the beach
cities. Called number 2 daughter and she said that it shook them up but
had nothing broken. Just a fun shaker.
twitch,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote:

According to Maggy's magic web page, it was about a 5.0 near the
beach cities.

Makes sense, reporting from Huntington Beach tonight.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2009 9:07 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

No, seated at puter, selt belt not fastened, but would not hurt if it
had been.

Quake just came thru here in SoCal.

No apparent damage in my world.

Will await magnitude and duration data.

Film at 11:00 PM.

I posted something earlier (here? or maybe rec.home.repair) about our
(Bay Area) last earthquake, which was apparently nothing compared to
yours (TV nooz says 5.0; ours was 3.0).

How'd it feel?

There's a useful USGS page for reporting and getting reports of quakes
in the Bay Area (http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/SF_Bay.html);
there's probably one for SoCal too if you look around for it.
Interesting to see the reports to come in, and to see how people
perceived the quake in different places.

Hey, just found after drilling up/down on the site:
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/Los_Angeles.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2009 9:07 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

No, seated at puter, selt belt not fastened, but would not hurt if it
had been.

Quake just came thru here in SoCal.

No apparent damage in my world.

Will await magnitude and duration data.

Film at 11:00 PM.

Here's the "did you feel it?" page for the quake:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/.../us/index.html

Looks like they (USGS) got reports from Clovis to Tijuana.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Here's the "did you feel it?" page for the quake:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/.../us/index.html

Looks like they (USGS) got reports from Clovis to Tijuana.

Magnitude 4.7

IOW, nothing serious. If you want to live in quake country, get used
to it.

Epicenter was in Inglewood (Close to LAX) on a fault line from the
Hollywood Hills to Newport.

Last time on that fault line was 1933 and it was serious.

This time was just shake, rattle and roll, mostly roll.

Couple of aftershocks reported.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...10337/us/index....

Looks like they (USGS) got reports from Clovis to Tijuana.

Magnitude 4.7

IOW, nothing serious. If you want to live in quake country, get used
to it.

Epicenter was in Inglewood (Close to LAX) on a fault line from the
Hollywood Hills to Newport.

Last time on that fault line was 1933 and it was serious.

This time was just shake, rattle and roll, mostly roll.

Couple of aftershocks reported.

Lew

Sometimes, Appalachia gets its share. Salem, VA had a shaker
yesterday, 2.6 magnitude. Most people thought it was an explosion
nearby, something like a chemical plant going up. That's 50 miles west
of me, so I knew nothing of it until the news came on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
No, seated at puter, selt belt not fastened, but would not hurt if it had
been.

Quake just came thru here in SoCal.

No apparent damage in my world.

Will await magnitude and duration data.

Film at 11:00 PM.

Lew

Glad to see you are able to report back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 May 2009 03:05:50 -0700, Charlie Self wrote:

Sometimes, Appalachia gets its share. Salem, VA had a shaker yesterday,
2.6 magnitude. Most people thought it was an explosion nearby, something
like a chemical plant going up. That's 50 miles west of me, so I knew
nothing of it until the news came on.

I'm surprised anyone felt it unless they were right on top of it. When I
lived in Torrance, the fault across the base of the Palos Verde peninsula
was always throwing off 2s and 3s. I was about 3 miles away and felt
only one of them because I was standing out on a balcony.

Maybe limestone vibrates easier :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 18 May 2009 03:05:50 -0700, Charlie Self wrote:

Sometimes, Appalachia gets its share. Salem, VA had a shaker yesterday,
2.6 magnitude. Most people thought it was an explosion nearby, something
like a chemical plant going up. That's 50 miles west of me, so I knew
nothing of it until the news came on.

I'm surprised anyone felt it unless they were right on top of it. When I
lived in Torrance, the fault across the base of the Palos Verde peninsula
was always throwing off 2s and 3s. I was about 3 miles away and felt
only one of them because I was standing out on a balcony.

Maybe limestone vibrates easier :-).

According to Lucy at Caltech, the epicenter was 8 miles down so the
closest folks were still 8 miles away.

The news folk were happy to find a few downed shampoo bottles and to the
chagrin of every Irishman about, some broken booze bottles.
sigh,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote in message
m...
Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Note to self, set the whisky down in 5 gallon bucket.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote in message

"jo4hn" wrote in message
m...
Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of an earthquake in the Seattle area a few years ago. It moved
strongly in one direction. So all the wine/booze bottles on the store's
shelves either fell to the floor, or did not, depending on if the shelves
faced north-south or east-west.

When asked about it later, a retail consultant said it was something that
nobody ever thought of. Can you see it now? Wine/booze earthquake
resistant shelf design. How is that for a specialty?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"basilisk" wrote in message
"jo4hn" wrote in message
m...
Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

If you can come up with the design, I have a name for it: the "basilisk
bucket". Can't you see the adverts now?
j4
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Here's the "did you feel it?" page for the quake:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/.../us/index.html

Looks like they (USGS) got reports from Clovis to Tijuana.

Magnitude 4.7

IOW, nothing serious. If you want to live in quake country, get used
to it.

Epicenter was in Inglewood (Close to LAX) on a fault line from the
Hollywood Hills to Newport.

Last time on that fault line was 1933 and it was serious.

This time was just shake, rattle and roll, mostly roll.

Couple of aftershocks reported.

Lew

Felt it in Ventura County, strong enough
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote in message
m...
Lee Michaels wrote:
"basilisk" wrote in message
"jo4hn" wrote in message
m...
Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Hey,

I like it!

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 18, 4:17*pm, jo4hn wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

You guys out in LaLa land are always moaning: I just saw a headline
with really bad news for you. " Man arrested in shooting of rapper at
L.A. mall." What a time to find out shooting rappers was out of season
and illegal.