Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

Default **wibble** runner slot thingy system **wibble**

"TrailRat" wrote in message ...
OK, I know what I'm looking for but not sure what to type into the
search engines to find it and I'm hoping someone can help.

I have a table which my model railway is on and it's like a pasting
table that the legs fold down. Because of the layout the controls are
situated under the table on a smaller table. But I want to place them
on the underside of the table so I have constructed a box for the
controls to be housed in.

To attach this box to the table I want use a runner slot thingy system
so that it can be removed before I fold the legs down.
Basically and as simply as I can explain I want to put two "hook"
runners on the top of the wooden box holding the controls and two
recieving hook runners on the underside of the table so that the box
can be slid on and off at whim.

Now I hope that makes sense and some of you wise and worldly people
can point me in the right direction.

Thank You.

PS. I've looked at drawer runners but most don't work upside down or
require a twist to engage the two seperate components which wouldn't
work in the location!

How about some "T" track like that used for router jigs and a couple of screws with filed heads to inset in the tracks.

Works for me and my drill press.

P D Q

Posted to rec.woodworking

"TrailRat" wrote:

I have a table which my model railway is on and it's like a pasting
table that the legs fold down. Because of the layout the controls
are
situated under the table on a smaller table. But I want to place
them
on the underside of the table so I have constructed a box for the
controls to be housed in.

To attach this box to the table I want use a runner slot thingy
system
so that it can be removed before I fold the legs down.

SFWIW, back when I had an HO layout, had the controls hung under the
table with a pair of hinges.

Could fold the control box up under the table, then lock in place
which allowed the controls to be protected when table was lowered.

YMMV

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

SFWIW, back when I had an HO layout, had the controls hung under the
table with a pair of hinges.

Could fold the control box up under the table, then lock in place
which allowed the controls to be protected when table was lowered.

YMMV

Lew

The rails of the table are shallower then the height of the control
box and the layout when folded down has to have a narrow profile for
storage. With the landscaping and the control box, I would run the
risk of damaging both.

BTW - Running N-gauge line.

Posted to rec.woodworking

TrailRat wrote in

ups.com:

[...]

How about a french cleat, similar to what you would use to
hang a cabinet on the wall. Only difference being you would
need two, one for either side or front/back.
http://www.newwoodworker.com/frenchcleat.html#

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

TrailRat wrote:
SFWIW, back when I had an HO layout, had the controls hung under the
table with a pair of hinges.

The rails of the table are shallower then the height of the control
box ...

A hinge w/ a loose pin on each side -- simply set in place and insert
pins, to remove, pull...

Ordinary door hinge w/ the rolled, not forged loop and easy enough to
enlarge slightly to give the play for easy pin insertion/removal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 May 2009 10:21:39 -0700 (PDT), TrailRat
wrote:

Couple of old drawer slides from a desk or file cabinet?

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Stair Runner Thomarse UK diy 5 November 22nd 06 03:13 PM
MFI Runner Pack Peter Twydell UK diy 5 July 13th 06 06:15 PM
Difference between a T slot and a U slot? redice Metalworking 3 February 16th 06 03:38 AM
Aluminum sled runner height wrt slot depth, and sled length wrt runners purchased bent Woodworking 0 December 16th 05 12:39 AM
Rug runner creases up Charlie S. Home Repair 5 September 26th 05 12:46 AM