Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stair Runner

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get some carpet edged to make a
cheap stair runner.. I have had a ridiculous quote from a carpet shop
of £700 for a runner to go up my stairs and along the landing.

I was thinking along the lines of buying an end of roll quality carpet
and cutting it to required width and then somehow getting it edged?

has anyone had any expereince of stair runners, what is the cheapest
option?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get some carpet edged to make a
cheap stair runner.. I have had a ridiculous quote from a carpet shop
of £700 for a runner to go up my stairs and along the landing.

I was thinking along the lines of buying an end of roll quality carpet
and cutting it to required width and then somehow getting it edged?

has anyone had any expereince of stair runners, what is the cheapest
option?

Thanks in advance

Tom

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Runners-Rods-and-Rugs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 02:30:34 -0800, Thomarse wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get some carpet edged to make a cheap
stair runner.. I have had a ridiculous quote from a carpet shop of £700
for a runner to go up my stairs and along the landing.

I was thinking along the lines of buying an end of roll quality carpet and
cutting it to required width and then somehow getting it edged?

has anyone had any expereince of stair runners, what is the cheapest
option?

Thanks in advance

Tom

===============================
Cut carpet to suit and then buy a sailmaker's needle and thread and do the
edge in blanket stitch. It may take some time but it won't cost £700-00.

Google / IMAGES for some ideas.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Nov 2006 02:30:34 -0800, "Thomarse"
wrote:

I was thinking along the lines of buying an end of roll quality carpet
and cutting it to required width and then somehow getting it edged?

If you can get the offcut, getting it ripped (edged) cost around £5/m
last time I checked. I think you need to count all sides towards that
total.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get some carpet edged to make a
cheap stair runner.. I have had a ridiculous quote from a carpet shop
of £700 for a runner to go up my stairs and along the landing.

I was thinking along the lines of buying an end of roll quality carpet
and cutting it to required width and then somehow getting it edged?

has anyone had any expereince of stair runners, what is the cheapest
option?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Getting normal carpet edged is easy enough, I wouldn't do it by had you'll
be there all week. I had it done for a stair runner I had made up from
ordinary carpet, its called 'whipping', and a local carpet place did it for
me on their machine. Dedicated carpet runners are stupidly expensive, unless
you buy the cheap rubbish on a roll. Much cheaper to make up a runner
yourself, as long as you are a confident DIYer.

Whipping is only a few pounds per metre, I don't think it cost me much over
£220 to get the whole stair carpet done and that includes the
carpet/underlay cost ( I cut it up and fitted it myself, including
underlay ). It was end of roll wool carpet at £12/metre so it was decent
stuff. I have about 12 steps, then a half-landing, then a short landing.

You select your carpet, which must be hard wearing. You also carefully
measure up all the shapes of carpet you need to make up your runners etc,
bearing in mind the 'lay' of the carpet must face down the stairs at all
times. A typical runner is 27" wide but it depends. I used crumb rubber
Duralay underlay: that's easy to fit as its out of sight and you don't need
great accuracy.

You then mess around on a bit of squared paper, ( allowing a few inches
spare on the measurements for trimming ) with scale cutouts of the bits of
carpet you think you'll need trying to get them to fit into the width of the
roll of carpet you are buying with minimum waste: remember you pay for all
the carpet you waste.

This is why it is necessary to choose the carpet first, so you know the
width of the roll. Once you have determined the most efficient way to cut
out your required bits of carpet from the roll ( remembering to allow a
little spare and the fact that the 'lay' has to be appropriate for the bits
of carpet in question ) you can have 'X' yards of carpet cut off the roll.

By the way, a stair runner can be made in short segments, in fact it is
probably most efficient in terms of carpet to do it that way. You can have
the runner made from segemnts that cover just a single tread and riser, or
several at a go, whatever suits best.

Now you need to cut out all the pieces that you need. Cut out the pieces
that are to be whipped to size, but any other non-whipped edge cut with some
spare. For instance, the ends of the segments that make up the runner should
be cut slightly over, as you will cut them to length in situ. The cut ends
get stuffed into the vertex between the riser and the tread, held by gripper
rods, you won't see the ragged cut edge. The edges of the runner, being
visible and needing whipping, must be cut accuarely and straight. Watch out
you cut the ends at right angles to the edges, its not always easy.

Take all bits needing whipping to the carpet place of your choice, let them
get on with it for a few pounds/yard.

When finished, its up to you to lay underlay and the carpet, trimming as
necessary. You may need to tie the end of the whipping yarn in place where
you trim through it though else it'll unravel. Or you may prefer a carpet
fitter to do that. DIY runner plus landing etc will take a week or two of
research and planning and cutting, plus a week or two having the edges
'whipped', plus a day or two fitting etc but it is miles cheaper than what
you're being quoted, and very possible. I'm very pleased with my
runner/landing carpet.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:27:57 GMT, James Hawkins
wrote:

If you can get the offcut, getting it ripped (edged) cost around £5/m

Andy's term is right, BTW - it's called "whipping", not "ripping". My
bad...

Fitting stair runner round corners Andrew UK diy 3 November 13th 06 12:00 PM
MFI Runner Pack Peter Twydell UK diy 5 July 13th 06 06:15 PM
PUKEY RUNNER DUCK J T Woodworking 0 September 28th 05 01:00 AM
Rug runner creases up Charlie S. Home Repair 5 September 26th 05 12:46 AM
finding stair runner Steve UK diy 2 June 28th 04 07:12 PM