Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Multi-head drill spindle

I can see that Grizzly has multi-head (2 or 3) drill spindle heads for
their boring machines http://www.grizzly.com/products/G5952. Has
anyone ever tried cluge-ing one of these onto a drill press. I know
the guys at Multidrill\Autodrill http://www.multi-drill.com/ can sell
me the whole setup but they want 3x as much as Grizzly, just for the
drill head.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I can see that Grizzly has multi-head (2 or 3) drill spindle heads for
their boring machines http://www.grizzly.com/products/G5952. Has
anyone ever tried cluge-ing one of these onto a drill press. I know
the guys at Multidrill\Autodrill http://www.multi-drill.com/ can sell
me the whole setup but they want 3x as much as Grizzly, just for the
drill head.

Keep in mind that those are woodworking rated heads with special woodworking
spindles. You can't use standard off-the-shelf tooling with those. Only
the threaded shank tooling that's out there that I know of. Maybe someone
makes an adapter... Of course, I'm not a woodworker by trade so maybe
that's not even an issue. However, Grizzly gets almost $20 per "bit" when
you look at the threaded stuff but I'm sure there are alternatives. I can
buy a $2 drill bit and do the same thing. If the tooling lasts forever,
that's no problem, but if you break it or dull it or...

The price difference really comes from the fact that AutoDrill's products
are rated for 24/7 use in metal applications that are a bit more demanding.
Think GM / Toyota / the local fab. shop making a gazillion whatevers. Their
head of the same size can drill 3/8" holes through a 2.5" stainless steel
plate all day long and they have adjustables that can do 5/8" holes through
4.5" all day long as well. They sell custom heads up to 50" long and for
3/4" or larger holes too. I personally wouldn't dream of doing any of that
with Grizzly's offerings... AutoDrill can also get as close as 0.532" C-C
on hole spacing if you need it. Plus, they include every last thing you
need except the drill "bits" when you order from them. Twenty minutes after
the head is delivered, you are drilling holes. Not sure what you would have
to build to make Grizzly's heads work on a drill press, but it's got to be
more complicated than that.

One final thing - The guys at AutoDrill stock all spare parts and rebuild
heads in house right in NJ. ...Even for the custom heads in many cases.

Not knocking your idea, just pointing out the differences.

Those guys at AutoDrill know their stuff when it comes to situations where
you need quality products and they provide the best customer service on the
planet - even scanning newsgroups for relevant information. grin

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the input. I think the Autodrill guys really are the
standard from what I can tell. Good points about the cost of tooling.
yes there are alternatives for threaded drills, adapters, etc. but all
pretty expensive.

I am just doing wood and very short run compared to a commercial
operation like auto manufacturing. Actually, my biggest concern is
just matching holes. I am producing parts that have a two hole
pattern. There are several pairs of these holes on various parts that
all assemble into a final product. I have to hold pretty tight
tolerances on the various hole patterns between parts so the will
assemble easily. Currently I make drilling fixtures. Because the parts
are different shapes I make a different fixture for each part. I can
hold pretty tight tolerances but I use drill guides and it is a pain
and slow to keep clamping in the piece to the fixture, stabbing the
drill into the guide, and then slide over to the next guide. Where
that pattern ends up on the piece is not so important as it is that
the spread is consistent so the parts match. So a doubel head drill
and a simple stop setop on the drill press would be much faster per
part. It might take a year to recoup the $500 bucks for a double head
because I am still just selling this stuff on the side so the $1,500
is out of reach for right now.

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Flagship Site:http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 3:31*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Thanks for the input. I think the Autodrill guys really are the
standard from what I can tell. Good points about the cost of tooling.
yes there are alternatives for threaded drills, adapters, etc. but all
pretty expensive.

On May 6, 10:14*am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Those guys at AutoDrill know their stuff when it comes to situations where
you need quality products and they provide the best customer service on the
planet - even scanning newsgroups for relevant information. grin

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Flagship Site:http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

Not to break up the love fest, but Joe AutoDrill IS the AutoDrill guy,
so why are the two of you talking about "the AutoDrill guys" in the
third person? Some might think you're setting up a spam feed-in
question. 'Course I know better...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Precision drilling can be done on the cheap & without bushings,
especially with brad points in face grain.
Notwithstanding, getting close (+ or - .0015") is a reality, whence
you have some simple simple fixturing (see pix), a flat top and
command of the 12 ranges of motion for the average work piece.
Can't believe something so simple is so hard to do well, but I know it
is, I teach drilling.
http://patwarner.com/images/drilling2.jpg
************************************************** ********************************************

On May 6, 12:31*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
[...]

V8013-R- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not to break up the love fest, but Joe AutoDrill IS the AutoDrill guy,
so why are the two of you talking about "the AutoDrill guys" in the
third person? Some might think you're setting up a spam feed-in
question. 'Course I know better...

I did it as a tongue-in-cheek reply with real content... I'm guessing
SonomaProducts simply didn't read my signature to know I was being creative
in my reply. Seeing as I skip the sig files all the time, no fault there!

You are right though... Looks like a set-up for sure. I promise it's not.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Precision drilling can be done on the cheap & without bushings,
especially with brad points in face grain.
Notwithstanding, getting close (+ or - .0015") is a reality, whence
you have some simple simple fixturing (see pix), a flat top and
command of the 12 ranges of motion for the average work piece.
Can't believe something so simple is so hard to do well, but I know it
is, I teach drilling.
http://patwarner.com/images/drilling2.jpg

Nice set-up in the photo BTW.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am a bit guilty also. I did see the signature but wasn't quite sure
do to the "third person" nature of the post. However, I also had a
self serving reaso. I had just asked Autodrill for pricing yesterday
or day before. Then I saw his possible response here and I was afraid
he would take it that I was complaining about his prices in a public
forum, which was not at all what I was doing. So I was a bit
embarrased and shared some love to make sure any reader knew I thooght
he had good stuff, which it looks like he does and surely well worth
the price (more love).

On May 6, 1:01*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dang!

I heard on NPR that recent studies show that part of men's brains that
light up when thinking about sex are the exact same part that lights
when thinking about tools. That picture proves the point for me.

Not exactly sure what I am looking at but I want one. Would the
concept be to clamp down the piece and slide the fixture using some
precise index method for the offsets? I'll have to think about that.

Unfortunately, most of my parts have the bolt pattern oblique to the
basic linear geometry of the part. For instance, I have a 3 foot long
by 5 inch wide piece that needs a pattern of two holes near one end on
about a 30 degree slant from the horizon when looking at the face of
the piece.

************************************************** *********************************************

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I am just doing wood and very short run compared to a commercial
operation like auto manufacturing. Actually, my biggest concern is
just matching holes. I am producing parts that have a two hole
pattern. There are several pairs of these holes on various parts that
all assemble into a final product. I have to hold pretty tight
tolerances on the various hole patterns between parts so the will
assemble easily.

Have you thought about building a CNC drill to do this job? A simple one
would only drill one hole at a time, but the hole pattern would be
consistant and accurate...

....and the number of holes and their spacing would be limited only by
the size of the machine's range of motion.

The total materials/parts cost could probably be between the prices of
the Grizz and Autodrill two-bit head.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote

I heard on NPR that recent studies show that part of men's brains that
light up when thinking about sex are the exact same part that lights
when thinking about tools. That picture proves the point for me.
=======================================

That would certainly explain the Lee Valley catalog!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Unfortunately, most of my parts have the bolt pattern oblique to the
basic linear geometry of the part. For instance, I have a 3 foot long
by 5 inch wide piece that needs a pattern of two holes near one end on
about a 30 degree slant from the horizon when looking at the face of
the piece.

My photos aren't as pretty as Pat's, but you might still find the
next-to-last photo at

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot/

of some interest. On that machine the spindle can be set anywhere from
vertical to horizontal.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

=============================
Not exactly sure what I am looking at but I want one. Would the
concept be to clamp down the piece and slide the fixture using some
precise index method for the offsets? I'll have to think about that.
================================

Ah, the old tooling debate.

The factor having the biggest impact and about which no info has been
provided is quantity or production run.

How many pieces are made on one run?

One of my early employers was a screw machine house.

They didn't tool up a multi spindle Acme for small jobs, say a
thousand pieces, that a turret lathe could do at lower cost.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Right now just 10-20 of each part per run. That's 4 setups for two
sets of matching parts. I only do it every few months right now but I
am considering trying to ramp it up.

On May 6, 4:37*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

=============================
Not exactly sure what I am looking at but I want one. Would the
concept be to clamp down the piece and slide the fixture using some
precise index method for the offsets? I'll have to think about that.
================================

Ah, the old tooling debate.

The factor having the biggest impact and about which no info has been
provided is quantity or production run.

How many pieces are made on one run?

One of my early employers was a screw machine house.

They didn't tool up a multi spindle Acme for small jobs, say a
thousand pieces, that a turret lathe could do at lower cost.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

====================================
Right now just 10-20 of each part per run. That's 4 setups for two
sets of matching parts. I only do it every few months right now but I
am considering trying to ramp it up.
=================================

Based on the above, IMHO, it's Morris' CNC approach to lose.

Those CNC files are just another step down the digital path.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spacer against fence for the change there and a spacer against an end
stop there. Will manage the distance between holes and distance to
edge of stock. Spacers must be accurate, fence straight and the work
edge an ends must be square.
This setup is trivial but dependent on the flatness and dimensionality
of everything.
Moreover, if the jigging is sophisticated it still has to be (square
etc.).
*********************************

************************************************** **********************************************

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I am a bit guilty also. I did see the signature but wasn't quite sure
do to the "third person" nature of the post. However, I also had a
self serving reaso. I had just asked Autodrill for pricing yesterday
or day before. Then I saw his possible response here and I was afraid
he would take it that I was complaining about his prices in a public
forum, which was not at all what I was doing. So I was a bit
embarrased and shared some love to make sure any reader knew I thooght
he had good stuff, which it looks like he does and surely well worth
the price (more love).

No worries! Not easily offended here and I'd think less of anyone who
didn't shop around for the best product.

You did good.