Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cordless finish nailer -- straight or angled?

I'm considering getting a Paslode 16-guage cordless finish nailer,
because I'll be putting up a lot of crown molding soon. After that's
over, I'll use it for occasional home handyman stuff.

They make a straight model and an angled model. The straight one costs
a little less. (At amazon.com, $267 vs. $319.) I imagine the angled
one would get into corners and tight places a little better, but I'm
wondering if it's worth the extra expense.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In my opinion the angled nailer is worth the extra cost. It isn't
just corners. There are occasions when small obstructions in
otherwise open spaces make it difficult to use the straight magazine
nailers.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I'm considering getting a Paslode 16-guage cordless finish nailer,
because I'll be putting up a lot of crown molding soon. After that's
over, I'll use it for occasional home handyman stuff.

They make a straight model and an angled model. The straight one costs
a little less. (At amazon.com, $267 vs. $319.) I imagine the angled
one would get into corners and tight places a little better, but I'm
wondering if it's worth the extra expense.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

+

You can get closer into inside right angled corners with the angle gun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 2, 5:51*pm, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

... I'm considering getting a Paslode 16-guage cordless finish nailer,
because I'll be putting up a lot of crown molding soon. *After that's
over, I'll use it for occasional home handyman stuff.

They make a straight model and an angled model. The straight one costs
a little less. *(At amazon.com, $267 vs. $319.) *I imagine the angled
one would get into corners and tight places a little better, but I'm
wondering if it's worth the extra expense.

Any ideas? *Thanks in advance.

+

You can get closer into inside right angled corners with the angle gun.

Different nail clips?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On May 2, 5:51 pm, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

I'm considering getting a Paslode 16-guage cordless finish nailer,
because I'll be putting up a lot of crown molding soon. After that's
over, I'll use it for occasional home handyman stuff.

They make a straight model and an angled model. The straight one costs
a little less. (At amazon.com, $267 vs. $319.) I imagine the angled
one would get into corners and tight places a little better, but I'm
wondering if it's worth the extra expense.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

+

You can get closer into inside right angled corners with the angle gun.

Different nail clips?

They are angled also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Source of nails ? - lots of straight - but at what angle ? how many
vendors makes finish nails in a slant ?

food for thought....

I have had my angle finish nailer for about 20 years now, I did not even
know that straight finish nailers were available back then. Angle finish
nails are absolutely not a problem to find. If you go to a local trades
supplier they will probably have stacks of them. Senco is one of the better
brands that makes them. Basically any gun manufacturer that makes the angle
nailer will also make the angled nails. Or you can go here,
http://www.nailzone.com/15gafinishednails.aspx .
Truly I would be more afraid of not being able to find straight finish
nails.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
I have a Senco straight and never saw a slant when I was buying.
Likely it was years to early. Mine is 20 years old or so.

Martin

I bought mine in 1989, strange as this may seem to you Senco does not list a
non-angle finish nail gun, 15 or 16 gauge, being available these days.

What model is yours?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 May 2009 21:55:06 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

I have a Senco straight and never saw a slant when I was buying.
Likely it was years to early. Mine is 20 years old or so.

Are you talking about a pin/brad gun?

I think all of the pinners from Senco are straight but I don't think
Senco ever made a straight finish-nail gun.
I still have an old SFN-1 around here somewhere (I believe it was
Senco's first finish gun) and even it was slanted.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
FN1 IIRC I think they are up to FN3 by now. I want a Framer, but would
like
to have it in a smaller frame. Guess I'll go and find a light model.

Martin

I have an old SFN1, they are now SFN30 and SFN40.

I have one of every thing and am not brand loyal. I took Nailshooters
advise and bought a Bostitch N88RH. This model has a magnesium body and
comes with a 7 year warranty and IIRC paid around $180 for it. I basically
have only used it to build fences so I only shoot 3" and 2" nail through it
and have only shot about 4,000 nails through it in the last 2 years but it
has not given me a moments amount of trouble. Nothing fancy but it does
have a detent adjustable depth guard. This is the first Bostitch that I
have owned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have a Senco straight and never saw a slant when I was buying.
Likely it was years to early. Mine is 20 years old or so.

Are you talking about a pin/brad gun?

I think all of the pinners from Senco are straight but I don't think
Senco ever made a straight finish-nail gun.
I still have an old SFN-1 around here somewhere (I believe it was
Senco's first finish gun) and even it was slanted.

Mike O.

Still using my SFN1 and just bought its 3rd replacement rubber guard cover,
$1.65. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 5 May 2009 08:35:06 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

Still using my SFN1 and just bought its 3rd replacement rubber guard cover,
$1.65. :~)

I meant to say SN-1 which I think was their first. It was under
powered and would only handle a 1 1/2" nail. Haven't used it in 20
years.

I think the SFN guns were their best over the years and the SFNII
would even handle a 14ga nail. We've still got a couple for spares
but now have gone to the Finish Pro guns. The Finish Pro guns look so
much like the PC and Hitachi that it makes me wonder if they're all
build in the same factory now days.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Still using my SFN1 and just bought its 3rd replacement rubber guard
cover,
$1.65. :~)

I meant to say SN-1 which I think was their first. It was under
powered and would only handle a 1 1/2" nail. Haven't used it in 20
years.

I think the SFN guns were their best over the years and the SFNII
would even handle a 14ga nail. We've still got a couple for spares
but now have gone to the Finish Pro guns. The Finish Pro guns look so
much like the PC and Hitachi that it makes me wonder if they're all
build in the same factory now days.

Mike O.

They very well may be built in the same factory. I heard several years ago
that Senco was letting the Taiwan factories build some of their guns now.