Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Time Again For Ribs

Just finished trimming up some ribs, fresh out of the oven, after a 5
hour cook cycle at 225F.

Had to taste test during the trimming:

DYNE-O-MITE.

They are called "Country Ribs", but are in fact actually cut from the
shoulder of the pig.

When the price hits $0.99/pound, I stock up.

Once more the recipe is posted for those interested.

4-6 pounds, "Country Ribs"
1-3/4 Cup, Soy Sauce
1 Cup, Brown Sugar
2-3 Tbl, Ground Cinnamon

Mix soy, sugar and cinnamon in a 1 gal, "Zip-Lock" bag.

Add meat and store 24-36 hours in refrigerator, turning every 12
hours.

Place strips of meat, fat side up, on a rack, in an oven pan.

Pour marinade into small sauce pot on stove top burner, then bring to
boil with LOW heat (IT contains sugar), to sterilize, then let cool.

Start oven at 400F for 20 minutes, then reduce to 225F for 4-1/2--5
hours.

Remove from oven and allow to rest and cool until ribs can be handled
with bare hand (About 20 minutes).

Peel meat away from bones as well as peeling away any fat, discarding
fat and bone.

With sharp knife, cross cut meat into 1/2" wide pieces and arrange
around outside edge of serving platter.

Pour sterilized marinade into serving cup, then place cup in center of
platter.

Place a box of toothpicks next to platter, then get the hell out of
the way before you get run over.

Enjoy

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Time Again For Ribs

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
[...]

Kitchen oven?? Mesquite in a smoker. Same time and temp.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote:

Kitchen oven??

Yep.

Mesquite in a smoker. Same time and temp.

You could try but I suspect that you would end up with two (2) strong
flavors (salty and sweet), fighting the Mesquite.

My guess it would be an either or situation.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

[...]

I forwarded this recipe to Dawn, my wife. She surprised me by serving it
tonight.

My belly hurts from all the pork I ate. She served it with toasted cheese
bagels. Yumm. It went well with a shot of tequila.

Although the love of my life is a verrrrrry good cook, she is something of a
technical neander. She looked at the printout of the recipe and said,
"Couldn't Lew have formated this recipe to fit on a 3 X 5 recipe card?"

Well Lew, you have been served notice. Post your recipes in a card format.
LOL

Anyway, as one carnivore to another, yummmmmmmmm...., good meat!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

I forwarded this recipe to Dawn, my wife. She surprised me by
serving it tonight.

My belly hurts from all the pork I ate. She served it with toasted
cheese bagels. Yumm. It went well with a shot of tequila.

Although the love of my life is a verrrrrry good cook, she is
something of a technical neander. She looked at the printout of the
recipe and said, "Couldn't Lew have formated this recipe to fit on a
3 X 5 recipe card?"

Well Lew, you have been served notice. Post your recipes in a card
format. LOL

Anyway, as one carnivore to another, yummmmmmmmm...., good meat!!

The lady is on her own for a print format.

I use NotePad for a recipe, then keep the NotePad files in a directory
named NetFood kept on the DeskTop..

Just pull up the file I need, print it out on an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet that
gets posted on the fridge door with magnets.

When meal is complete, throw print out in the trash and wait until
next time.

A little tip:

That marinade works well for chicken.

I buy a family pack (12) chicken thighs and put them in the ZipLock
bag over night..

Leave ALL the skin, fat, etc on when marinating and baking.

When it's time to serve, peel away the skin (All the fat will already
be in the bottom of the pan) before serving.

You could use chicken breasts in a pinch, but compared to thighs, they
taste like shoe leather, IMHO, as well as being over priced.

BTW, chicken needs about 325F oven to cook thru in about 2 hours.

WishBone Salad Dressing (No substitutes) also makes a great marinade
for chicken.

Marinade overnight, then bake same as above.

Can also make up aluminum foil pouches of veggies marinated in
WishBone on the top rack of the grill for about 20-30 minutes.

They goes well with the pork.

SFWIW, I buy WishBone by the gallon, same with Kikkoman.

Have fun.

Lew