Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: It's Still April

Yes, it's still April, but it hit 100F in downtown L/A today.

Man, does it feel great; however, the day of reckoning is on the
horizon.

Enjoy it while you can.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yes, it's still April, but it hit 100F in downtown L/A today.

Man, does it feel great; however, the day of reckoning is on the
horizon.

Enjoy it while you can.

That's nothing: on Mar 29, 1879, a few weeks earlier in the year, it hit
99 in LA; On Apr 23, 1910 it was 100 in LA; On April 13, 1898, it was 99
in LA; Twenty years ago (1989) there were a couple of days in April that
were 105+. On Dec 8, 1938 it hit 92, and on that same day in 1978 it was 30.

Apparently it occasionally does get hot, and cold, in April, in LA, go
figure...

..e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

That's nothing: on Mar 29, 1879, a few weeks earlier in the year, it
hit 99 in LA; On Apr 23, 1910 it was 100 in LA; On April 13, 1898,
it was 99 in LA; Twenty years ago (1989) there were a couple of days
in April that were 105+. On Dec 8, 1938 it hit 92, and on that same
day in 1978 it was 30.

Apparently it occasionally does get hot, and cold, in April, in LA,
go figure...

100F set the record for today.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default It's Still April

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Yes, it's still April, but it hit 100F in downtown L/A today.

Man, does it feel great; however, the day of reckoning is on the horizon.

Enjoy it while you can.

Lew

And in Houston we had yet another front blow in yesterday and this morning
and cool us down to the low 50's. I distinctly recall one of our local
weather persons indicate that we would be getting out last cold front in
......um mid February. We are working on our 8th straight month of nonhot
mild temperatures.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:AmaHl.1900$b11.822
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Yes, it's still April, but it hit 100F in downtown L/A today.

Man, does it feel great; however, the day of reckoning is on the
horizon.

Enjoy it while you can.

Lew

We had a beautiful day Saturday, and two days of rain afterwards. It
went from a warm 70F to a cool 54F.

The first game of the softball season was rained out.

You're right, Lew. Enjoy it while you can.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

We are working on our 8th straight month of nonhot mild
temperatures.

Same in SoCal, it has been a colder than normal 2009.

Understand you folks in Houston had a few rain drops over the week
end.

Got your dinghy tied up in the back yard or is it floating free?G

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

We are working on our 8th straight month of nonhot mild temperatures.

Same in SoCal, it has been a colder than normal 2009.

Understand you folks in Houston had a few rain drops over the week end.

Actually at my house we got about 4.875" My sister lives in a very small
town about 70 miles west, north west from here and got 16" over the weekend.
They live on 3 acres and have a pond in the front yard, the house was
completely surronded by water up to the foundation and about 4" deep. Had
Houston gotten that kind of rain in that period of time we would have been
on the nation news and Swingman would have been the only one in his
neighborhood with out water in his house.

Got your dinghy tied up in the back yard or is it floating free?G

No dingy, LOL... I have seen water come up half way into my yard but
fortunately our house is higher than all in the neighborhood. When it rains
the water runs left and right from our house.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

We are working on our 8th straight month of nonhot mild temperatures.

Same in SoCal, it has been a colder than normal 2009.

Understand you folks in Houston had a few rain drops over the week end.

Actually at my house we got about 4.875"

Correction, 3.875"

I'd never considered before this very moment [thinking that jotting a
whole number and a fraction on the wall calendar being sufficient] but where
can I get a rain gage that measures to three decimals, Leon?

-
Dave in [NW] Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

Correction, 3.875"

I'd never considered before this very moment [thinking that jotting a
whole number and a fraction on the wall calendar being sufficient] but
where can I get a rain gage that measures to three decimals, Leon?

LOL, There is about a 50/50 chance that I will type 3.875" or 3 7/8"
inches. If I am in a hurry I wall usually use decimals. I run lots of
numbers through my head on a daily basis for kicks, I put numbers to
everything.
Oh! back to your question. I have no idea where to find an analog rain
gauge marked with decimals other than the one that has just one number left
of the decimal point. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Be the first in your neighborhood:

http://www.weatherinstruments.com/ra...4294767885.cfm

Dave in Houston wrote:

I'd never considered before this very moment [thinking that jotting a
whole number and a fraction on the wall calendar being sufficient] but where
can I get a rain gage that measures to three decimals, Leon?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Yes, it's still April, but it hit 100F in downtown L/A today.

Man, does it feel great; however, the day of reckoning is on the horizon.

Enjoy it while you can.

Lew

What they say in Colorado. Wait 5 minutes and the weather will change. Last
Saturday Took a little longer. Wakeup to 3 inches of snow. Gone by noon.
Temp went to 70 degrees. Southern Colorado area. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 02:40:32 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Yes, it's still April, but it hit 100F in downtown L/A today.

Man, does it feel great; however, the day of reckoning is on the
horizon.

Enjoy it while you can.

Lew

94f here in Baja and low humidity.. best time of year here..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

We are working on our 8th straight month of nonhot mild
temperatures.

Same in SoCal, it has been a colder than normal 2009.

Understand you folks in Houston had a few rain drops over the week
end.

Got your dinghy tied up in the back yard or is it floating free?G

Lew

Lew, it was 99 in LA yesterday, according to Weather.com. A new record.
Whaddya mean, cool?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:17:23 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

Be the first in your neighborhood:

http://www.weatherinstruments.com/ra...4294767885.cfm

Wow, those things have gotten pretty reasonable in price. Several
years ago I considered putting together a complete weather station
that would then log hourly temp, wind speed & direction, humidity,
precip, and barometric pressure onto a computer, giving an
hour-by-hour graph of conditions. The computer side of it was simple,
at that time (S-100) I knew how to do all the hardware and software to
accomplish it. The problem was that the instruments would have cost
tens of thousands of dollars. I dropped the plan.

I still think it would be fun to do.

--
Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

I started out with nothing and after years of hard work have finally managed to double it!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"scritch" wrote:

Lew, it was 99 in LA yesterday, according to Weather.com. A new
record. Whaddya mean, cool?

The TV weather jockeys were reporting 100F down town.

Guess it depends on your point of measurment as well as source.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Be the first in your neighborhood:

http://www.weatherinstruments.com/ra...4294767885.cfm

Wow, those things have gotten pretty reasonable in price. Several
years ago I considered putting together a complete weather station
that would then log hourly temp, wind speed & direction, humidity,
precip, and barometric pressure onto a computer, giving an
hour-by-hour graph of conditions. The computer side of it was simple,
at that time (S-100) I knew how to do all the hardware and software to
accomplish it. The problem was that the instruments would have cost
tens of thousands of dollars. I dropped the plan.

I still think it would be fun to do.

It is pretty cool, I bought my father a weather station for Christmas a few
years ago, It measures wind speed, direction, rain amount, in door and
out door temp and humidity, and barometric pressure. The wind speed and
direction indicator hard wired into the temp/rain gauge/baro/humidity sensor
and from there sent info wirelessly to the main console. The main console
has 8 side buttons that perform 403,922,287 different functions. Getting to
see all of what you could do required the manual be present at all times.
Just a warning, this one was cheap, $200, a little more invested may have
gotten a more user friendly model. Something to watch out for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Yes, it's still April, but it hit 100F in downtown L/A today.

Man, does it feel great; however, the day of reckoning is on the
horizon.

Enjoy it while you can.

Lew

Here, a quarter mile from beautiful downtown Green Valley Lake, the
temperature finally got into the high 60s F. A week ago, it never got
out of the 30s. Oh Happy Days!! Most of the snow (about 12 feet) is
gone. Just a few shady areas left.
yeehaw,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.weatherinstruments.com/ra...ain-gauges/287....

[...]

Yea.. I'll bite:
403,922,287 different functions
Wow...with 8 buttons! You'd kinda run out of combinations at 40,320 or
so wouldn't you?
I suggest we ask nailshooteRobert. He knows about those sort of
things. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

multi-button infinite length sequences could probably get you more. think
tree structured multiresponse presses. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-4-2-5-3 is different
than 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-4-2-3-5

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

It is pretty cool, I bought my father a weather station for
Christmas a few years ago, It measures wind speed, direction, rain
amount, in door and out door temp and humidity, and barometric
pressure. The wind speed and direction indicator hard wired into
the temp/rain gauge/baro/humidity sensor and from there sent info
wirelessly to the main console. The main console has 8 side buttons
that perform 403,922,287 different functions. Getting to see all of
what you could do required the manual be present at all times. Just
a warning, this one was cheap, $200, a little more invested may
have gotten a more user friendly model.

Interesting, as a sailor, the weather is very important; however,
being a prudent stewart of the available resources, could never
justify the expenditure of about $1,000 for decent sailboat wind
insturments, so took alternate methods.

The US flag will stand out stiff in 20 knots of wind, time to strike
the 150 genoa and take a reef in the main.

A strand of cassette tape tied to the shrouds won't play music, but
will indicate wind direction.

The clouds tell you about impending weather patterns.

If I'm on watch, I know when it rains.

I'll keep the $1,000 for cold suds.

Ahh, matey.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 21, 4:20*pm, "charlie" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Apr 21, 2:15 pm, "Leon" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Well, duhh, PRESS '2' 18,000,000 times for instance?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Apr 21, 2:15 pm, "Leon" wrote:

Yea.. I'll bite:
403,922,287 different functions
Wow...with 8 buttons! You'd kinda run out of combinations at 40,320 or
so wouldn't you?
I suggest we ask nailshooteRobert. He knows about those sort of
things. G

OH NO! 403,922,287 for sure. Some times you have to hold down a bunch of
buttons, tap your head, and count to three. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

multi-button infinite length sequences could probably get you more. think
tree structured multiresponse presses. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-4-2-5-3 is
different
than 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-4-2-3-5

Well, duhh, PRESS '2' 18,000,000 times for instance?

Now you are catching on. But really, it is pretty ridiculous. A computer
with 2 gig of memory would have to store some of the info for all the
combinations in virtual memory.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in
:

Correction, 3.875"

I'd never considered before this very moment [thinking
that jotting a
whole number and a fraction on the wall calendar being
sufficient] but where can I get a rain gage that measures
to three decimals, Leon?

-
Dave in [NW] Houston

You can try http://www.ambientweather.com/strgloteprra.html
While it only measures in 100ths, it large enough that you could
estimate the last digit. I've got 2 rain gauges in my back yard,
one of them being the CoCoRaHS. It's accurate, large and very
durable.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Yesterday it reached 100F, but as indicated, things they are a
chang'in.

Today it only reached 95F, but this stuff is headed East.

My bet if folks in the U/P of Michigan will be happy to see it along
about next Monday after the 2 ft of snow they got today.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Yes, it's still April, but it hit 100F in downtown L/A today.

Man, does it feel great; however, the day of reckoning is on the
horizon.

Enjoy it while you can.

Lew

I'm a few days late on this thread but this morning at 6:00 AM when I
left for work the thermometer read 34 degrees. It's now 6:11 PM and 79
degrees.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

ME2EVERYONE LAUNCHES IN APRIL !!................ micheal Home Ownership 0 March 26th 09 02:11 AM
April Air Humidifier Marc Home Repair 4 February 1st 09 12:14 AM
April Air Humidifier JIMMIE Home Repair 0 January 31st 09 02:52 PM
April Air filters Norris Watkins Home Repair 6 January 22nd 04 09:53 PM