Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PTL - how long before I can finish it?

Just finished building a swingset out of PTL and plan on finishing
it. This is the 'new' PTL from Home Depot that isn't green it is
treated with CA- Copper Azole. Has a slight green tint to it which is
probably why it is not rated for ground contact.

I don't know yet if I'm going to finish it with a deck stain/sealer or
paint it. The spec from the Borg say to use latex paint.

Either way I go how long do I have to wait before I apply a top coat?

Any recommendations on what to use?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not to be alarmist but isn't PTL associated with toxicity? ie, kids on
a playset?

Anyway, Penofin oil stains are pretty much the gold standard for
exterior applications. Here is a blurb from their website.

"Q. Do you have anything to cover pressure-treated wood?
A. Any PENOFIN colors can be used on any type of wood. For pressure-
treated wood we recomend 99% UV PENOFIN for Pressure-Treated Wood TM
in Rainer, Yosemite, and Tahoe, or 90% UV Blue Label Chestnut or
Sable."

Also, they state it is "best" to treat your wood before it "seasons".
They are talking about fences in this case. Dripping wet fresh cut
wood. I'm sure they dry the PTL some before application to ensure it
gets good penetration so I would say you can apply a finish any day it
isn't raining on the wood.

On Apr 17, 8:32*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
Just finished building a swingset out of PTL *and plan on finishing
it. *This is the 'new' PTL from Home Depot that isn't green it is
treated with CA- Copper Azole. *Has a slight green tint to it which is
probably why it is not rated for ground contact.

I don't know yet if I'm going to finish it with a deck stain/sealer or
paint it. *The spec from the Borg say to use latex paint.

Either way I go how long do I have to wait before I apply a top coat?

Any recommendations on what to use?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Not to be alarmist but isn't PTL associated with toxicity? ie, kids on
a playset?

The new PTL which has been available for the last 4 or 5 years is suppose to
address that potential problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Just finished building a swingset out of PTL and plan on finishing
it. This is the 'new' PTL from Home Depot that isn't green it is
treated with CA- Copper Azole. Has a slight green tint to it which is
probably why it is not rated for ground contact.

I don't know yet if I'm going to finish it with a deck stain/sealer or
paint it. The spec from the Borg say to use latex paint.

Either way I go how long do I have to wait before I apply a top coat?

Any recommendations on what to use?

3
Hopefully you used the correct fasteners with the "new" PTL. The new PTL
requires ACQ rated fasteners and brackets, other wise the fasteners corrode
prematurely.

Latex paint is going to hold up under the sun light the best, anything
transparent will have to be reapplied every 2-5 years.

You should wait to paint/stain until the wood dries out. For some boards
that could be several months, some could be less. I would opt for waiting a
year.

Posted to rec.woodworking

......other wise the fasteners corrode prematurely.

To say the least. Our daughter's family had the misfortune to hire a
dope to build their home a few years ago. Among the list of things on
the lawsuit was using the wrong screws with the new PTL. When the
repair crew started to disassemble their porch many of the screws
snapped off because they had corroded badly in little more than a
year.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

"About" six months according to the SYP folks:

It really depends on how much PT liquid was
used and how fresh the board was when you
got it.

http://www.southernpine.com/expert/faq.pl?leafcode=30