Nate Perkins

Default Web frames, drawer support methods

Hi,

I'm working on a machinist's style tool cabinet, similar to the one in
"The Toolbox Book," by Jim Tolpin. I've got little experience and I'm
looking for information on drawer supports.

Basically I'm confused on when it's best to use side-mounted drawer
guides as opposed to regular web frames. I'm also wondering if
there's a rule of thumb for the minimum thickness of a web frame,
depending on how much weight it has to support.

If anyone can point me to a general resource (book, etc), I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Nate Perkins
Ft Collins, CO
Leon

Nate, I almost always use web frames as I always have a divider between
drawers. The web frame helps to keep every thing is square also IMHO.
I always build them 3/4" thick and center 1/4" plywood in the field of the
frame. I have in the past built a center slide down the center of the
drawer and the web frame but have in recent years switched to building the
cabinets, chests, or what ever with tighter tolerances.

Now, that said, if I build a cheaper unit and have to cut costs for the
customer, I use the side mounted full extension slides.

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm working on a machinist's style tool cabinet, similar to the one in
"The Toolbox Book," by Jim Tolpin. I've got little experience and I'm
looking for information on drawer supports.

Basically I'm confused on when it's best to use side-mounted drawer
guides as opposed to regular web frames. I'm also wondering if
there's a rule of thumb for the minimum thickness of a web frame,
depending on how much weight it has to support.

If anyone can point me to a general resource (book, etc), I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Nate Perkins
Ft Collins, CO

Unisaw A100

I'm working on a machinist's style tool cabinet, similar to the one in
"The Toolbox Book," by Jim Tolpin. I've got little experience and I'm
looking for information on drawer supports.

Basically I'm confused on when it's best to use side-mounted drawer
guides as opposed to regular web frames. I'm also wondering if
there's a rule of thumb for the minimum thickness of a web frame,
depending on how much weight it has to support.

Side mounted slides are best when space (you lose and
inchish) isn't a consideration.

The "normal" minimum for a web frame is 3/4" thick with full
size cabinets. For a Gerstner style too chest you could go
down to 1/2" thick. Also, consider that the drawers are
actually supported at the spot where the web frame meets the
sides.

If anyone can point me to a general resource (book, etc), I'd
appreciate it.

Wish I could.

UA100
George

With proper guides you'll get better support for the open drawer, of course,
but if it's period or pattern you're after, you can be assured by the
pedigree that there's some merit in the old ways.

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
om...

I'm working on a machinist's style tool cabinet, similar to the one in
"The Toolbox Book," by Jim Tolpin. I've got little experience and I'm
looking for information on drawer supports.

Basically I'm confused on when it's best to use side-mounted drawer
guides as opposed to regular web frames. I'm also wondering if
there's a rule of thumb for the minimum thickness of a web frame,
depending on how much weight it has to support.

Nate Perkins

Unisaw A100 wrote in message . ..

Side mounted slides are best when space (you lose and
inchish) isn't a consideration.

The "normal" minimum for a web frame is 3/4" thick with full
size cabinets. For a Gerstner style too chest you could go
down to 1/2" thick. Also, consider that the drawers are
actually supported at the spot where the web frame meets the
sides.

Excellent, thanks very much. The replies by you and the other poster
are exactly what I was looking for. This is a Gerstner style tool
chest, and I think I'll use 1/2" webs.

Cheers, Nate