Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

Default How to craft an wooden biplane?

I want to create a biplane for a World War 1 show
but I don't know how to build such a plane.

How can I craft a wooden biplane, that will really fly?
Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

Jasper Tiler wrote:
I want to create a biplane for a World War 1 show
but I don't know how to build such a plane.

How can I craft a wooden biplane, that will really fly?

http://www.guillow.com/
Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

http://www.guillow.com/

Guillow, a name from my youth.

You bring back a lot of memories Doug.

BTW, the Spad Pursuit was a favortite of mine.

Lew

Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

http://www.guillow.com/

Guillow, a name from my youth.

You bring back a lot of memories Doug.

BTW, the Spad Pursuit was a favortite of mine.

Lew

Yup, I have a few hanging from the ceiling, and a half dozen unopened on
the shelf for my bucket list.
Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

http://www.guillow.com/

Guillow, a name from my youth.

You bring back a lot of memories Doug.

BTW, the Spad Pursuit was a favortite of mine.

Lew

Yup, I have a few hanging from the ceiling, and a half dozen unopened on
the shelf for my bucket list.

One isn't on their list anymore - a 1/77 scale balsa and tissue Columbia
shuttle - 19" length, 13" wingspan. I think I'll build that one next...
maybe.

Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

Yup, I have a few hanging from the ceiling, and a half dozen
unopened on
the shelf for my bucket list.

Ever do any power, either free flight or U-Control?

Lew

Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

Yup, I have a few hanging from the ceiling, and a half dozen
unopened on
the shelf for my bucket list.

Ever do any power, either free flight or U-Control?

Lew

About 5 decades or so ago, I did the U-control thing. Kept me building
replacements :-( Now, I just try to make 'em pretty and hang 'em up for
display.

It's amazing how they double or triple in weight by adding paint!
Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

About 5 decades or so ago, I did the U-control thing. Kept me
building
replacements :-(

Same kind of time frame (early 50's)

U-Control was combat time.

Straight pins in the leading edge of the wing, a crepe paper stringer
connected to the tail, and have at it.

Jimmy Walker had a couple of balsa wood slab side fuselage planes you
could build in a couple of days.

Wipe out on Sunday, stop at hobby shop on way home and buy a plane,
show up Wednesday night ready to fly.

Had a Fox .35 which was a screamer.

Good combat engine.

Free flight was strictly 1/2 A stuff.

Built several "Sniffer" models and trashed a few along the way.

Baby Spitfire 045 was a great free flight engine.

Drug store asked me why I needed salt peter.

Had to explain it was for fuses to destabilize the plane a bring it
down.

Wonder what would happen if you tried that today?

When I quit, must have had 15-18 engines.

Now, I just try to make 'em pretty and hang 'em up for
display.

It's amazing how they double or triple in weight by adding paint!

Dope is heavy, especially if on fabric rather than paper.

Sealer helps a little.

Lew

Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

Yup, I have a few hanging from the ceiling, and a half dozen unopened on
the shelf for my bucket list.

Ever do any power, either free flight or U-Control?

Doh, man! Servo weights are measured in grams or fractional ounces these
days. Free flight is what happens when the transmitter battery dies. I
didn't take them seriously at first, but the flat foam core things they sell
now fly extremely well. It's worth a look if you haven't peeked since, oh,
1940.

Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Ever do any power, either free flight or U-Control?

Lew

In the '70's I worked for Sullivan Products so I did it all and for cheap.
RC cars too.

Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Jasper Tiler wrote:
I want to create a biplane for a World War 1 show
but I don't know how to build such a plane.

How can I craft a wooden biplane, that will really fly?

I've seen some in cast iron like the Stanley #130, but no wooden biplanes

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 20:48:46 -0700 (PDT), Jasper Tiler wrote:

I want to create a biplane for a World War 1 show
but I don't know how to build such a plane.

How can I craft a wooden biplane, that will really fly?

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sheesh! The troll got quite a few responses from this one.

If you must respond, remove the extraneous score keeping newsgroup. As I
just did.

Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

Jasper Tiler wrote:
I want to create a biplane for a World War 1 show
but I don't know how to build such a plane.

How can I craft a wooden biplane, that will really fly?

Contact these folks: http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jasper Tiler wrote:
I want to create a biplane for a World War 1 show
but I don't know how to build such a plane.

How can I craft a wooden biplane, that will really fly?

Build it like this

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/Aero1.jpg

or, if you think you can get by with only 2 wings try

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/Aero2.jpg

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to de.alt.augenoptik,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 17:03:00 -0400, B A R R Y
wrote:

Jasper Tiler wrote:
I want to create a biplane for a World War 1 show
but I don't know how to build such a plane.

How can I craft a wooden biplane, that will really fly?

Contact these folks: http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/

Fisher Flying Products has good wooden biplane kits - reasonable too.
Now CANADIAN company north of Toronto.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I want to create a biplane for a World War 1 show
but I don't know how to build such a plane.

How can I craft a wooden biplane, that will really fly?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...tarduster.html

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 01:40:31 -0800, WD wrote:

These are "toys" compare with the real thing that flies. Yes, it brings
back memories, when I was a licensed A&P mechanic during my early
career.

Apparently you did not read the multiple posts that pointed out this was
a spammer trolling for responses.

If you must respond please, please, please remove the "scorekeeping"
website. In this case it was de.alt.augenoptik.

Posted to rec.woodworking

PLEASE stop crossposting to the troll's newsgroup.

You are only encouraging more and more SPAM.

What can I craft using Thorium? Todd Rich Metalworking 0 March 4th 09 01:24 AM
craft jai Metalworking 0 August 14th 08 02:41 PM
SMALL BIPLANE J T Woodworking 0 November 12th 07 10:19 AM
How can I fix 2 pounds heavy plaster plaques to a painted wooden wall? (Those thin wooden panels that they had in the 70s) [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 5th 07 07:45 PM
wanted 36 wooden spindles @ 17" also 36 wooden teddy bears @ 4 inch high URGENTLY [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 30th 06 03:50 PM