Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default iron bolt source?

I've googled.

Does anyone have a source for old (or just looks old) square head iron
bolts? application is through-bolt table legs to the apron blocking for a
vintage-looking farm table.

Thanks!

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Joe wrote:
Does anyone have a source for old (or just looks old) square head iron
bolts? application is through-bolt table legs to the apron blocking for a
vintage-looking farm table.

I'd expect any hardware store to have square head bolts; you'll have to
age them.

Fastenal certainly has anything you want in square head; I recently
ordered a bunch for corral fence repairs...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .
I've googled.

Does anyone have a source for old (or just looks old) square head iron
bolts? application is through-bolt table legs to the apron blocking for a
vintage-looking farm table.

A lot of places sell square head bolts on the internet. I used to buy them
at a local fastener place. These are often used to hold down jigs in
t-slots. Like on a drill press table to hold down a vise.

I don't think they will be iron though. You will have to settle for steel.
Although you can probably buy them "black", without any finish. Then paint
or distress them any way you want to give them that "antique" look.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 6:58*pm, "Joe" wrote:
I've googled.

Does anyone have a source for old (or just looks old) square head iron
bolts? *application is through-bolt table legs to the apron blocking for a
vintage-looking farm table.

Thanks!

jc

Check Lee Valley or Van Dykes
Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I may be off base considering the other replies, but I think you are
looking for something like these Square-Cut Nails at

http://www.leevalley.com

Specific URL for the nails.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...306,41324&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 6:48*pm, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I may be off base considering the other replies, but I think you are
looking for something like these Square-Cut Nails at

Specific URL for the nails.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...&cat=3,41306,4...

OK, .... I'll bite. He asked for a square headed THROUGH bolt to bolt
a table leg on a table.

What would make you think that instead he is actually looking for
short, square headed nails?

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

wrote in message
On Mar 31, 6:48 pm, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I may be off base considering the other replies, but I think you are
looking for something like these Square-Cut Nails at

Specific URL for the nails.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...&cat=3,41306,4...

OK, .... I'll bite. He asked for a square headed THROUGH bolt to bolt
a table leg on a table.

What would make you think that instead he is actually looking for
short, square headed nails?

Robert

Thanks, I needed a Larf!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

"LD" wrote in message
: wrote in message
:
: On Mar 31, 6:48 pm, Keith Nuttle
wrote:
:
: I may be off base considering the other replies, but I think you
are
: looking for something like these Square-Cut Nails at
:
: Specific URL for the nails.
:
:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...&cat=3,41306,4...
:
: OK, .... I'll bite. He asked for a square headed THROUGH bolt to
bolt
: a table leg on a table.
:
: What would make you think that instead he is actually looking for
: short, square headed nails?
:
: Robert

These guys: http://www.instockfasteners.com/PROD...chinebolts.asp

have square head bolts, unfortunately they are all steel. It looks
like you have to have iron square head bolts custom made. Or find an
old table at flea market or yard sale that uses them and do a bit of
salvaging.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Mike" wrote in message
On Mar 31, 6:58 pm, "Joe" wrote:
I've googled.

Does anyone have a source for old (or just looks old) square head iron
bolts? application is through-bolt table legs to the apron blocking for a
vintage-looking farm table.

Thanks!

jc

Check Lee Valley or Van Dykes

Van Dykes was the winner, thanks!

http://www.vandykes.com/product/2058...n-bed-bolt-nut

Yeah, I know it's for a bed, but that just adds to the charm, I think.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Two options I can see.

1. Van Dykes has a lag bolt that looks great but wouldn't suit the
"Through Bolt" concept but maybe you can do a faux connection and have
the cool looking bolt head showing. http://www.vandykes.com/product/2039...re-head-screws

2. Not quite as cool looking but they do have somewhat old looking
square head bolts here http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/